1999 -2002 Jetta GLS 2.0L Owners: Oil leak and Coolant Issues [Archive] - VW JETTA Forum •JETTAJUNKIE.COM |Volkswagen JETTA Club|VW Jetta Forum|RSS|Jetta Owners|VW Jetta Mods|VW Jetta DIY|Reviews|Performance|

: 1999 -2002 Jetta GLS 2.0L Owners: Oil leak and Coolant Issues

Jetta_Joe
09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Hello all,

I am trying to get feedback from 1999- 2002 Jetta GLS 2.0L Owners about issues with oil and coolant leaks. I replaced the valve cover on my daughters Jetta and it fixed the upper leak. There is still a leak at the bottom near the transmission, seems to be either the oil pan or (I hope not) the rear main crank seal. As for the coolant leak it seems to be the coolant pipe going into the Thermostat housing, theres an "O" ring inside, does look like it is coming from anywhere else.

Like I said trying to get feedback from other owners to simular issues and were the locations were.

Thanks
Joe

Jetta_Joe
10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
So here's the update of what I did this weekend. Turns out I had 2 antifreeze leaks and one oil leak.

Antifreeze Leak:

Drivers side coolant flange and water "O" ring at thermostat housing. This was a hell of a job because there was allot of disassembling and coolant hose disconnections. Guys, please never silicon rubber hoses, the guy who owned the car before me did this to 3 rubber hoses probably thinking it was leaking from there. Remember coolant will follow the easiest path before dripping. This complicated things for me but was able to save all my rubber hoses but ended up breaking the very brittle Oil Filler Tube. It broke into about 20 pieces so I guess it was due to be changed, I had to put a cork temporarly until this morning.

Steps:
Remove air filter cover and air intake tube.
Drain Radiator from Drain plug (Drivers Side front).
Remove spark plug wires from coil pack, coil pack and bracket.
Remove 2 block sensors just above water pipe going to Thermostat housing
Disconnect all rubber hoses from Coolant flange.
Remove water pipe and then coolant flange.
Replace "O" rings on water pipe and water sensor going to coolant flange.
Install new coolant flange after cleaning surface.
Make sure you add new G12 (I bought 3L and Mix it with 3L distilled water and used 5.5L).

Even though the coolant flange had new gasket (Don't over tighten coolant flange 7 pounds of pressure should do it), I also used RTF silicon.
Put everything back together.
Remove bracket from Valve Cover just above Coolant Flange.

Oil Leak:

Oil leak was caused by the Oil Cooler seal. Steps are easy but sure you have a 27mm socket. Seal cost me .95 cents and socket $15.00.
Just remove the oil filter, clean up, from underneath the car you'll be able to see the 27mm bolt, remove it and drop down the cooler, remove old seal (mine was dry and worn), clean surf and install new one, re-install. Note that this bolt was on pretty tight. Re-install oil filter and top up oil.

I hope this helps.

Joe

BizAsUge
10-18-2010, 07:22 PM
So here's the update of what I did this weekend. Turns out I had 2 antifreeze leaks and one oil leak.

Antifreeze Leak:

Drivers side coolant flange and water "O" ring at thermostat housing. This was a hell of a job because there was allot of disassembling and coolant hose disconnections. Guys, please never silicon rubber hoses, the guy who owned the car before me did this to 3 rubber hoses probably thinking it was leaking from there. Remember coolant will follow the easiest path before dripping. This complicated things for me but was able to save all my rubber hoses but ended up breaking the very brittle Oil Filler Tube. It broke into about 20 pieces so I guess it was due to be changed, I had to put a cork temporarly until this morning.

Steps:
Remove air filter cover and air intake tube.
Drain Radiator from Drain plug (Drivers Side front).
Remove spark plug wires from coil pack, coil pack and bracket.
Remove 2 block sensors just above water pipe going to Thermostat housing
Disconnect all rubber hoses from Coolant flange.
Remove water pipe and then coolant flange.
Replace "O" rings on water pipe and water sensor going to coolant flange.
Install new coolant flange after cleaning surface.
Make sure you add new G12 (I bought 3L and Mix it with 3L distilled water and used 5.5L).

Even though the coolant flange had new gasket (Don't over tighten coolant flange 7 pounds of pressure should do it), I also used RTF silicon.
Put everything back together.
Remove bracket from Valve Cover just above Coolant Flange.

Oil Leak:

Oil leak was caused by the Oil Cooler seal. Steps are easy but sure you have a 27mm socket. Seal cost me .95 cents and socket $15.00.
Just remove the oil filter, clean up, from underneath the car you'll be able to see the 27mm bolt, remove it and drop down the cooler, remove old seal (mine was dry and worn), clean surf and install new one, re-install. Note that this bolt was on pretty tight. Re-install oil filter and top up oil.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Good stuff. Hope everything worked out well

Jetta_Joe
10-19-2010, 01:03 PM
It longer than I expected because of incorrect work from the preivous owner but yes all is good, checked again last night and no more antifreeze or oil leaks.

BizAsUge
10-19-2010, 07:02 PM
It longer than I expected because of incorrect work from the preivous owner but yes all is good, checked again last night and no more antifreeze or oil leaks.

Nice. I remember my old GLS was just notorious for burning oil that was all. But, then again most are

Jetta_Joe
10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Mine has 123000 miles on it and it doesn't burn oil, it's a great car. Drives really nice.

BizAsUge
10-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Mine has 123000 miles on it and it doesn't burn oil, it's a great car. Drives really nice.

Oh for sure. My friends GLS has 215,000 miles running strong. And it's his daily driver

reilly
11-18-2010, 02:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a question. What would be the steps to replace the radiator, hose, & thermostat on a 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX (that's what my paperwork says GLX not GLS, don't know if its a different model).

TurboJettaBoy02
11-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a question. What would be the steps to replace the radiator, hose, & thermostat on a 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX (that's what my paperwork says GLX not GLS, don't know if its a different model).

glx's come with vr6 motors. gls's come with either 2.0 or 1.8T motors, not sure but probly a TDI could b gls. *someone correct me if im wrong lol* but u might have to do some different steps bein that u have different motors.