front suspension rattle [Archive] - VW JETTA Forum •JETTAJUNKIE.COM |Volkswagen JETTA Club|VW Jetta Forum|RSS|Jetta Owners|VW Jetta Mods|VW Jetta DIY|Reviews|Performance|

: front suspension rattle

wish2345
06-18-2009, 09:20 PM
i have a 01 Jetta 1.8t and its got 108k miles and i have been having issues for sometime now with the front suspension making rattle/clanking noises when i go over bumps and dips. I thought that it was the sway bar bushings so i changed those out and no change. Has any one had this issue and what was the fix for you. Maybe the struts or strut bushings?

Boost Addicted
06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Weird... I would've definitly guessed sway bar end links. Are you sure the end links are fully tightened?

wish2345
06-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Weird... I would've definitly guessed sway bar end links. Are you sure the end links are fully tightened?
i didnt change the end links i just changed the sway bar frame bushings. The end links looked good and are tight. I have been reading that the strut mount and bearings go bad it seems. Maybe thats my issue

-Vampyre-
06-19-2009, 08:22 AM
My car had a rattle up front and it ended up being part of the fender liners not attached properly on each side and the screws were tapping against the other parts of the liner.

nopain_allagin
06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
it could be alot of things, ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods, your struts , if you replace struts do your mounts at the same time

Boost Addicted
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
LOL if its your ball joints, you have a serious problem... But usually they don't make rattling noises, they just sneak up on you and make your wheels fold under the car on tight turns lol

Lift the car so the wheel is off the ground (do one at a time). Take the tire, with your hands at the 12 and 6 oclock positions, and shake that ****er like you're trying to rip if off the car. Any movement indicates bad ball joints.

Also physically inspect them to make sure the boots arent ripped.

nopain_allagin
06-20-2009, 09:18 PM
you dont really have to shake it that hard...but moving the tire back and forth and looking inside at all of your front end parts (that are visible) you can usually see whats moving improperly

nopain_allagin
06-20-2009, 09:18 PM
and you can catch ball joints before they get to bad....they do get some play in them before they completely go to shit

Boost Addicted
06-20-2009, 11:31 PM
lol well, I shake the living **** out of them.. If I have a wheel fold under my GLI, it'll cost, oh... about $1500 just in parts.

nopain_allagin
06-21-2009, 12:20 AM
lol well, I shake the living **** out of them.. If I have a wheel fold under my GLI, it'll cost, oh... about $1500 just in parts.

for sure!! thats why its good to make sure your front end parts are always in good condition , and not knocking !! :D

wish2345
06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
i dont think its the ball joints. thinking its maybe the struts or the mounts/bearings

Boost Addicted
06-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with the ball joints not being at fault. Start taking stuff apart I guess lol, check those bearings out. Probly the easier thing to test.

wish2345
08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
after looking into it a lot more. i can recreate the noise if i hit the front tires. After looking a little more with the tire off i found out that the main noise is comming from the brake calipers rattling. Has any one had this issue and how can it be fixed ?

Boost Addicted
08-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Theres nothing that can really rattle in the caliper.. Make sure the caliper carrier is bolted down tightly.

wish2345
08-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Theres nothing that can really rattle in the caliper.. Make sure the caliper carrier is bolted down tightly.
it was the brake pads that were loose in the caliper, i added the anti rattle clips and all is well now