1.8T need premium gas? [Archive] - VW JETTA Forum •JETTAJUNKIE.COM |Volkswagen JETTA Club|VW Jetta Forum|RSS|Jetta Owners|VW Jetta Mods|VW Jetta DIY|Reviews|Performance|

: 1.8T need premium gas?

Kody8800
04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey guys does the 1.8l turbo need to have premium gas in it??? thanks for the help

Rob_Dip
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Hey guys does the 1.8l turbo need to have premium gas in it??? thanks for the help

It is highly recommended. Now I know a few people who don`t and there car is still running. But honestly I do not recommend doing that at all. Put in 91 atleast which would be premium gas. The way I see it is, i`d rather not take the chance and risk damagin the engine to save money. Plus the car runs best on premium. As a matter of a fact. I put in 94-95 octane everytime I go gas up. You`ll notice a difference right away, I get better fuel milage and everything about the way the car runs and drives feels smoother. I`ve done the test by having other people drive it in both and they always ask if I`ve done something to my car to enhance it.

But you don`t have to do the extreme like me and put in the highest gas, just play it safe and put premium, like it says. I`ve put in 94 since the day I got it.

Kody8800
04-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks man, how much do you think the price difference is between regular and premium??

SKAREKROW
04-22-2010, 08:56 PM
bout $.25 more down here for the diff between shell normal and premium. but definatly run 91. 89 is too crude.

Kody8800
04-22-2010, 09:01 PM
ok thanks man! Does your car have the automatic trans with the option to shift the gears???

1.8Tjetta
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Damn i been putting 87. Gas like 3$+ is 89 ok to pump?

SKAREKROW
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
ok thanks man! Does your car have the automatic trans with the option to shift the gears???
Tiptronic. no I don't have that I will soon enough though.

Damn i been putting 87. Gas like 3$+ is 89 ok to pump?
yea i guess.

GLI Trevor
04-23-2010, 12:53 AM
The highest we have here is 92 thats what I fill up on

Kody8800
04-23-2010, 07:24 AM
ok well if anyone has the triptronic shifter, could you tell me how it works? i mean is it smooth??

Kody8800
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
What is the right light that is on, in the tachometer?? what does it stand for??1336
file:///C:/Users/Kody/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

BigJ389
04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
picture is super tiny

ApexerVR6
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
What is the right light that is on, in the tachometer?? what does it stand for??1336
file:///C:/Users/Kody/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

Picture doesn't enlarge. Can't help you man.

Kody8800
04-23-2010, 05:32 PM
what does the red light mean??

1.8Tjetta
04-23-2010, 06:04 PM
what does the red light mean??

i think it speaks for itself....your car door is open?

Nicholai
04-23-2010, 06:29 PM
i think it speaks for itself....your car door is open?
LOL

Kody8800
04-24-2010, 12:17 AM
no the one on the left in the tachometer, im not that retarded.

jedduh
04-24-2010, 12:27 AM
err i think you got your brakes done but pads without sensor were used so you have that light

bigmt3792
04-24-2010, 12:38 AM
i dont see a red light except the door one but the green one in the tach is just for the shift lock. press the brake and the light goes out

SKAREKROW
04-24-2010, 01:44 AM
lol mine doesn't have that light. doesn't have a cruise light either lol.

Kody8800
04-24-2010, 06:35 AM
oh the brake thing, that makes alot of sense now bc it is on the shifter to where is says park that little symbol is there, thanks guys!

Rob_Dip
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
I used to have a tiptronic tranny. I used to use tip all the time. Its a little faster then automically but no where near standard. Yeah its smooth its the fun of shifting without clutch but its slower then standard and it wastes the most gas outta of all three. For most usage of gas it goes. Tiptronic(the most), then auto and then standard if you drive properly. That light is your brake light mine used to have that. If you press the brake and look on ur rpm meter it disappears until you take ur foot off the brake again n if you look on your shifter too it disappears at the same time n comes back once you release the brake. But it only does this while the car is in park. Now if your light is always on even while your driving then theres a problem.

For the guy putting in 89 i don't know if its okay but like i said i wouldn't recommend it. Like i said i would put in atleast what it recommends which is premium.

Kody8800
04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
ok thanks man

Kody8800
04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
would you guys recommend the jetta for like an 18 year old that just needs like a dependable car that will last, or do u have alot of problems?

jedduh
04-25-2010, 11:22 PM
would you guys recommend the jetta for like an 18 year old that just needs like a dependable car that will last, or do u have alot of problems?

yeah sure why not;) were not all here because we hate them and think theyre terrible cars...aslong as it has been maintained and you will as well then you shouldnt have much to worry about:)

neverfolloww
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
It is highly recommended. Now I know a few people who don`t and there car is still running. But honestly I do not recommend doing that at all. Put in 91 atleast which would be premium gas. The way I see it is, i`d rather not take the chance and risk damagin the engine to save money. Plus the car runs best on premium. As a matter of a fact. I put in 94-95 octane everytime I go gas up. You`ll notice a difference right away, I get better fuel milage and everything about the way the car runs and drives feels smoother. I`ve done the test by having other people drive it in both and they always ask if I`ve done something to my car to enhance it.

But you don`t have to do the extreme like me and put in the highest gas, just play it safe and put premium, like it says. I`ve put in 94 since the day I got it.

actually 93 is premium. i have the 1.8T and when i first got it my parents put regular, or 91 octane gas. i lost around 30hp and my car got less mpg. you defff want to go with premium, it may cost more but you need it less so your actually spending around the same if not less money when going from regular to premium.

Rob_Dip
04-26-2010, 07:00 AM
actually 93 is premium. i have the 1.8T and when i first got it my parents put regular, or 91 octane gas. i lost around 30hp and my car got less mpg. you defff want to go with premium, it may cost more but you need it less so your actually spending around the same if not less money when going from regular to premium.

Yeah I'm not too sure about the states maybe yours guys 93 is our 91. All I know is in Canada it recommends atleast 91. 91 is our premium gas and its available everywhere here. Now for 94 which is what I always gas up with it. Its only available at one chain gas station, and thats Sunoco. I don't think you'd lose that much horse power from one grade down in gas. But definitely the fuel milage is better, the higher grade you go. I do know that as soon as you adjust the timing (ex.) chip/flashed your car your supposed to be putting in 94-95 in from then on. Not sure how many people know this. I've been told by a few people and I actually read it in a Book not a maganize, a book called Engine programming/performance. It was a pretty helpful book haven't read it all yet but, it does say once you flash the ecu or chip it that you've now changed the timing and need to upgrade the quality of gas. So now I just always put 94-95 in chipped or not. The car just runs better and the fuel milage is a little better.

neverfolloww
04-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah I'm not too sure about the states maybe yours guys 93 is our 91. All I know is in Canada it recommends atleast 91. 91 is our premium gas and its available everywhere here. Now for 94 which is what I always gas up with it. Its only available at one chain gas station, and thats Sunoco. I don't think you'd lose that much horse power from one grade down in gas. But definitely the fuel milage is better, the higher grade you go. I do know that as soon as you adjust the timing (ex.) chip/flashed your car your supposed to be putting in 94-95 in from then on. Not sure how many people know this. I've been told by a few people and I actually read it in a Book not a maganize, a book called Engine programming/performance. It was a pretty helpful book haven't read it all yet but, it does say once you flash the ecu or chip it that you've now changed the timing and need to upgrade the quality of gas. So now I just always put 94-95 in chipped or not. The car just runs better and the fuel milage is a little better.

oh i didnt know it was that high up there. racing fuel is 100 octane, and so the higher you go the more hp you get out of your car, its a slight change but it does happen. its deffinatly better milage and also makes it faster i wish we had 95 down here

SKAREKROW
04-26-2010, 07:29 AM
actually dirt tracks run around 103-110 octane round here. so high that the gas is purple and smells like model cement.

TooTallVR6
04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Personally I wouldn't run higher than 93 octane unless you're chipped for it. You may get a tiny bit more out of it without a chip but the extra carbon buildup I don't think is worth it. Remember, higher octane rating means the fuel has a higher flash point and is harder to burn than regular gas.

basilisk555
02-04-2011, 10:57 PM
I've been wondering the same exact thing. I've recently gotten a 1.8t,
and wanted to make sure what fuel should be used. The owner's manual unfortunately doesn't specify whether premium fuel is REQUIRED or RECOMMENDED, it just says 'Fuel: Premium'.
For the first few tanks I used premium, and it drove excellent, no issues of course with power and acceleration, but recently, I filled up with a tank of regular to see what would happen, and my mpg shot up!! on regular!!
does anyone know why this would occur?? now, i can tell that the car has slightly lower power with regular, but perhaps because of this, I am driving more conservatively? has anyone else out there gotten higher mpg with regular in a 1.8t? I certainly don't want to ruin my engine, and will probably still use premium intermittently to keep the injectors clean

canucme3
02-04-2011, 11:58 PM
That's really weird... Normally lower octane gas means lower mpg and less power.
With a turbocharged engine you definitely need to run at least 91 octane. Thats what the motor was designed to run on. Running lower octane, especially on a turbo car, can result in knocking and knocking = very bad.

Noob4Life
02-05-2011, 01:14 AM
You all are lucky! The highest we have here in Cali (that I've seen) is 91. I switch it up between Shell and Cheveron because I hear it can help the engine and I never use anything less. If I had 93+ I would definitely be using that! =[ Cali sucks...

aDUmBomb
02-05-2011, 02:43 AM
actually dirt tracks run around 103-110 octane round here. so high that the gas is purple and smells like model cement.

DO NOT put that in your tank unless you plan on running it empty in a few hours during racing and then wash it out using normal premium (93 octane) gas. This high of octane gas will actually melt through your fuel lines, I learned this from motorcycle racers who have to flush their systems after a race with pump gas.

TurboJettaBoy02
02-05-2011, 01:16 PM
HOLY thread for the dead revival batman!! lol

Noob4Life
02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
HOLY thread for the dead revival batman!! lol

Wow I didnt even notice that, good job Kody lol

bryanboley
02-06-2011, 04:31 PM
I've been wondering the same exact thing. I've recently gotten a 1.8t,
and wanted to make sure what fuel should be used. The owner's manual unfortunately doesn't specify whether premium fuel is REQUIRED or RECOMMENDED, it just says 'Fuel: Premium'.
For the first few tanks I used premium, and it drove excellent, no issues of course with power and acceleration, but recently, I filled up with a tank of regular to see what would happen, and my mpg shot up!! on regular!!
does anyone know why this would occur?? now, i can tell that the car has slightly lower power with regular, but perhaps because of this, I am driving more conservatively? has anyone else out there gotten higher mpg with regular in a 1.8t? I certainly don't want to ruin my engine, and will probably still use premium intermittently to keep the injectors clean

i would use it more than intermittently. it needs it to run well

richy_13
02-06-2011, 05:29 PM
i know right here in cali the highest ive seen is 91

LoweredStandards
02-07-2011, 10:24 AM
DO NOT put that in your tank unless you plan on running it empty in a few hours during racing and then wash it out using normal premium (93 octane) gas. This high of octane gas will actually melt through your fuel lines, I learned this from motorcycle racers who have to flush their systems after a race with pump gas.

Not to mention that anything over 93 octane will yeild 0 power gains. If you dont advance your timing and you attempt to use race gas, you will actually be hurting your engine. Not to mention all the idiots out there that use it with a catylitic converter and then scratch their head why there's chunks of platinum all over the back of their car and their cat has holes in it...

Also, the minumum octane rating for the 1.8T is NOT premium gas (91-93), its 89. That being said, I would not put 89 in my own car. But statistically, the majority of VW owners use 89 or 87 because they are not car enthusiasts, and it doesnt really matter to them. Also, to whoever said it before, there is absolutely no possible way you lost "30hp" from your parents putting in regular gas. Unless of course you dynoed your car before and after... which you didnt. Power differences for 87 and 93 are not nearly that great. Both 87 and 93 have the same heat rating (energy), the only difference is that the higher octane fuel is less likely to cause knock or ping, as someone stated already. Higher octane fuel is better for higher compression engines, and the 1.8T is not by any means high compression, its average. Having a turbocharger has nothing to do with it either. But using 87 in your 1.8T is not going to kill it. The 1.8T ignition system was designed to accomodate a wide range of fuels. Monumumental differences won't be noticed until you get into the aftermarket application, i.e. bigger turbo, motor work, etc...

Just as a side note though. The average gas tank size for passenger cars is roughly 13 gallons and the difference between premium and regular is usually no more than $0.20. Do the math, you arent breaking the bank by using 93 octane.

canucme3
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree with you on all of that except this...

Having a turbocharger has nothing to do with it either.

With a boosted motor your basically creating a high compression motor by forcing more air and fuel into the motor. Why do you think people lower compression to run more boost...? That being said you SHOULD use premium gas, but it is not necessary to unless you are running higher then stock boost levels. Personally I would still not use lower then 89 and would recommend using 93. I never put anything less then 93 in mine.

basilisk555
02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
I agree with the fact that using premium doesn't exactly 'break the bank'. i'm def not saying that everyone should go put regular in their 1.8t. i've only had the car for three weeks, and you guys have driven for much longer, i trust the word of experience. gonna keep checking my mpg, perhaps when i first got the car i was having a little too much fun with it, so got lower mpg, then drove more conservatively on the regular tank.
with premium i averaged 25,
with regular i averaged 29.
but its too soon to draw conclusions from that, prob also need to master driving the stick better so mpg can go up. thanks for the advice. has anyone ever gotten higher mpg with regular?

groundupjetta
02-09-2011, 08:06 AM
I wanted to add some info to the thread about how the ecu works with different grades of fuel.

Ok lets say you always pump 93 oct gas on your 1.8t (this is what I always pump on mine) and one day you decide or have to pump regular 87 oct gas.
The car will run the same way until you get on it really hard (high rev/high load) and then it WILL knock but if everything is working like it should the knock sensors will detect knock and the ecu will pull ignition timing killing performance and even affecting fuel consumption.

Manufacturers do this so in case you really need to pump the lower grade fuel it wont grenade the engine but its definitely not the way to go.

WhitewidoW
10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Rob i know exactly what your talkni about couple months ago my friend told me a 1.8T runs way better on premium so i tried it out, and it really does change the car in my opinion. lil better pick up, better gas milage, and just feels more solid. idk people say im crazy but im glad im not the only one that does this lol

AnnaFD114
10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
not sure if this is for the 1.8t but my old honda with a motor swap in it called for premium and i looked up why and cause lower grade fuels burned up the seals in the motor. not right away but after a long period of time. but our 1.8t could be a different reason

MagicGLI
10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Thread revived for the second time... Last post over a year ago. Let it rest lol