Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Replacing The Stock Speakers

53K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  great_kicker 
#1 ·
Hey my friend has a 2001 mk4 and he wants to boost his soundsystem but doesn't want to really go through the trouble of adding additional speakers, so he wants to replace the stock speakers with higher quality ones, we've got a friend whos real good with wiring and all that but not sure where to get the speakers or even what kind. My other friend has a pioneer sub and that sounds great so we were thinking of getting him those if he can afford it.

My real quesiton is can this be done? can we just rip out his old speakers and place in ones of similar size.

#4 ·
I changed all of my speakers in my 2001 TDI when I was putting my system in and it was really simple. If I were you I would go on crutchfield.com and look on there. They will tell you what fits where and when you order from them they also give you a booklet on how to do everything. And MonkUSMC the speakers are not bolted into the door there is little metal tips that you can easily tap out with a small screw driver and a hammer. It took about an hour to do them all with taking everything off and put them back on.

Shawn

#7 ·
Yeah the factory speakers are riveted in, and yes they are 6.5''. the factory speakers can be removed with a drill and or a hammer and chisel/punch. the problem that you will encounter with flush mounting new speakers in the factory location is the gap that will be left from the factory speakers between the door itself and the panel. I would suggest doing something along the lines of what i did to help channel the sound waves into the car instead of into the door panel (i have pictures below). What I did, is bought some insulation foam from walmart. it needs to be a pretty dense foam in order to withstand temperature changes and vibrations. the foam i used is found in the heater/fan section of walmart the dimensions of it was like 2''x2''x a couple feet. I cut them in half along the length of it so that it was 1''x2''x however long it was. I cut the individual lengths needed to go around the speaker, and glued it down with a silicone adhesive. You will probably need to use duck tape or something like that in order to hold the foam in a circle while the silicone sets. I also drilled holes into the factory grills and pop riveted the grilles from the new ones to them, for purely aesthetic purposes.

#11 ·
Alright its good to hear that its not too too difficult to get the speakers in.

He wants to get some pretty good speakers, we were actually gonna go with alpines but on crutchfield they didn't have any 6.5s only .75s so hes gonna prolly go with those pioneers

that vwvortex link is gonna really help with the door disassemble thanks.

i think he might order those speakers soon and then were gonna try and do it in our friends shop cause its heated in there, hopefully we'll be able to get all 4 doors done away with in a couple hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.