Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Need Help Error p0117

12K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  amrrlz 
#1 · (Edited)
Need Help Error p0117 overheating

Hello I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I am trying to fix an overheating problem, on a 99.5 mk4 jetta 4cyl. I have changed the thermostat, then I went to autozone and used the VAG. I got an error code p0117 trouble shooting says: coolant temperature (ECT) circuit low

Explanation

BB open or short circuit condition

Probable cause

BB1 poor electrical conection
BB2 faulty ECT sensor

I have replaced the ECT sensor and no luck
also the fan dosent come on while overheating but if you press the AC button on the dash the fans do work but not enough to cool the coolant any help would be appriciated im stumped.....:mad:

#2 ·
Re: Need Help Error p0117 overheating

have u checked all your fuses?

why do u say that the car is overheating? temp gage, check engine light on or something else?

is the coolant maxed out? Have u ever added coolant to your car? if yes, what type and when? what color is the coolant now?

#3 ·
Re: Need Help Error p0117 overheating

Definitly answer Apollo's questions.

However, it does sound like wiring... Fans definitly should be on when overheating. The fans don't seem to be getting the message from the ECU saying ''turn on''.

#4 ·
I have checked the fuses in the cabin and when I replaced the termo, I used G-12 coolant wich is pink. Also the temp gauge maxs out the dummy light comes on and as I posted I used a VAG to read the check engine light. The coolant resovour is boiling hot. I also posted the reading from the VAG I am trying to avoid the stearlership shop prices I can do most about any work if I can figure out the problem so any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks GUYS AND GALS.:eek:

#5 ·
Its gotta be the electrical connection going from the ECU to the fan, or your water pump is toast.

Mileage? Timing belt and water pump replaced?

BTW nobody but the stealer and select shops/people have a real VAG Com. You're using a basic scanner lol

#6 ·
Could this possibly be the water pump? Would the fans not turn on if the hot water wasnt making it to the radiator? What about the heater core? Or the coolant fan relay? I also just read that there is a three prong coolant temp sensor conected to the radiator its self I think I will replace that one also to see if that kicks on my fans!

#7 ·
Oh about the scanner my bad lmao, milage is only 66,000 my girlfriend just bought it 2 months ago, so im not sure about the replacment of the pump and timing chain but I would suspect no. where is the ECU located? should I be looking for melted wires or what lol.

#9 ·
lol gotcha. Cant trace wires from the ECU... Impossible lol. Check up with that three prong sensor, I've never heard of it? Hm.. www.germanautoparts.com has good prices on stuff like that.

Water pump wouldn't affect fans turning on. The ECU gets its readings from the CTS (also known as ECT), but you replaced that for one with a green top, right??? Cause CTS is usually at fault.

#10 ·
hummm... 1.8 engine right? it really seems that your water pump is shot, but from your code, u would think that is an electrical problem...

Your timing belt change is overdue, u gotta change it at 60 k and it is a BIG DEAL if u dont. When u do it, there is a kit sold everywhere that contains the belt, tensioner, water pump with METALLIC IMPELLER (pretty important detail) and thermostat. U dont need to thermostat anymore, so dont worry about that one.

get it all done and see what happens. If u take to a shop, u are looking at $800-1000 parts + labor. I would not recommend doing one yourself unless you are a complete gear head lol

#11 ·
Aww c'mon Apollo, tbelts aren't that hard lol. Just gotta be careful!

And just FYI... I dunno if its still a problem, but ECS's kit had alot of tensioner failures.

#12 ·
really? i always buy from them... thanks for the heads up

the thing about timing belts is: u CANNOT afford a mistake. u cannot go back and fix it. If u do something wrong and turn your engine, you are done lol

im all for doing the repair ourselves, but that one is just scary ha

#13 ·
Well, very worst case scenario, if the belt breaks, you screw up your head and punch holes in your pistons. Its fixable... But very expensive.

#17 ·
Hmm! I just changed the radiator fan switch and the funny thing is; I warmed up the car untill the temp went well past the 190 mark, then I relased the radiator drain plug while hot. Then my fans kicked on. So my assumption now would be that the coolant is not circulating properly or else the fans would have came on when it hit 190. Time to start looking for a pump kit. lol. Also, I have read, these systems need to be vacumed when replacing the coolant. Would this cause the car to continue overheating or not circulating the coolant properly? Can any one walk me through vacume sealing the coolant system? :cool:

#18 ·
when i drained mine i did not do all that. I think what they are trying to avoid is coolant contamination.
To do a coolant flush is not hard, just messy lol

oh, make sure when u take your water pump apart that everything is in there. I say this cause a lot pumps plastic impeller fail, and that could clog up your line. If a part of the impeller is missing, find it haha, if you are not lucky THEN vacuuming wouldnt be a bad idea

#19 ·
Yea I used to have this jeep and ripped that whole coolant system apart several times flushing, replacing, changing, and machining, even took the whole top half of the engine apart before I relized the block was cracked lol. But thanks for the tip on searching for missing fins prolly get the new pump kit in a couple of weeks works kinda slow and I will be sure to remember that.:) thanks for the help I will keep you posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.