Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2002 Jetta is burning oil

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  VW365 
#1 ·
So the story goes like this, I bought my 2002 jetta from a guy about a year ago. he says that he changed the oil every 3000 miles religiously and always used synthetic.

My 2002 2.0 4 cyl Jetta is needing an oil change at about 2000 miles. I'm assuming this is because it's burning oil.

Is this normal for a 2002 to burn so much oil that it needs more after only 2000 miles? Is there a sludge problem? I always use full synthetic so unless this guy was full of **** or this is just common for jettas i think there's something i need to do.

I've heard engine flushes aren't good so i dont want to do that but if it is sludge I dont know what else is the problem. I dont want to have to change the oil every 2000 miles and I dont want the engine blowing up because of so much sludge built up.

anyone know what i can do?

#3 ·
I've heard that some of the mkiv's, i think the 2.0l's built in the mexico plant had something messed up during the manufacturing and some rings were put on upside down in the engine internals, which causes oil to burn fast, as far as i know there is not an easy fix, as the entire engine needs to be ripped apart and probably new rings installed, not just the current ones flipped, but i could be wrong. this i also not covered by any recalls, or warranties, as far as i know. ive heard someone suggest calling vw/carfax etc with the VIN to find out if your car is one of the ones affected as i believe they have records on this issue.

start there, as you can figure out if thats the issue over the phone potentially

#6 ·
I'm dealing with this problem right now @ 94K on my '02 2.0 as well. I am going through .71 quarts of oil every 1k miles. Dealer suspects its the rings and seals and is waiting to hear back from my extended warranty if will cover it or not. Warranty company requires all paperwork regarding oil changes and proper maintenance since purchasing the car and 2 oil consumption tests.. one done already and 2nd one will be done as soon as I get the other paperwork regarding all my oil changes.

#8 ·
not a thing .. thats why i'm pushing them to pay for it .. but like all other car things i've dealt with i'm holding my breath as I'm sure this is just the first wall i'm going to have to jump over to get them to budge but they best pay for it .. I only paid $1500 for the extended warrranty (3 year , 36k) i'm well under the year mark and less than 1/2 into the mileage so i'm ok there just hoping they dont give me the cold shoulder and try to not pay for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.