VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: My Trunk won't open? |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Trunk won't open?

Default My Trunk won't open?

The trunk on my 2000 VW Jetta VR6 won't open. It's like it's locked or something, and I couldn't find an emergency handle or anything on the inside of the trunk.
    Anyone know any reasons why this would happen and how to fix it?
    It would be nice to be able to use my trunk again...
    Thanks

Member Phantomrider05 is on a distinguished road Phantomrider05's Avatar

Default Re: My Trunk won't open?

Maybe its locked. If u check above the button to open it, heres a keyhole there. Try messin with that. If not then i really dont know what to tell u but good luck with that.

Box One Collective j-man41 is on a distinguished road j-man41's Avatar

If when you try to open it with your key fob or the switch on the driver's door you hear the mechanism working but the trunk wont pop up, it's most likely the plastic piece on the trunk bracket that has broken. It's very common on these cars and I just replaced mine yesterday.

This is the replacement part here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/1J5827567A/ES313232/

Unfortunately with a 2000 VR there is no emergency release, so you have to crawl through the rear seats, remove the scews from the fabric liner on the inner trunk lid, remove the liner, and manually release the latch. Complete PITA! Save yourself the hassel of doing this a second time and just replace the bracket with a new one. I tried super gluing mine and it only held a little over a week. So I had to do the crawl through a second time.

On a side note, sometimes the rod which pulls the latch open disconnects, so there's always a chance that's whats happened and it just needs to be clipped back together. But either way you will have to crawl through the trunk and remove the fabric liner to release the trunk.

Knight of the 3rd Pedal jthommarson is on a distinguished road jthommarson's Avatar

you don't have to crawl through the back seats yet!

put your key in the keyhole and turn it to unlock the trunk...then keep going to the right (takes a little extra force)...this will engage the "emergency" release on this model (ones without the emergency release handle in the trunk)....same thing happened to me as j-man above and i did this to get the trunk open instead of crawling through the back seats to take off the liner.

hope it works for you.

follow j-mans solution (new bracket) to reduce the likelihood of this happening again.
    "In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

Box One Collective j-man41 is on a distinguished road j-man41's Avatar

Great tip Jon! My keyhole latch has been broken ever since I've had my car so didn't know that was an option.

Hope it works for you cuz the crawl thro is a real drag.

Knight of the 3rd Pedal jthommarson is on a distinguished road jthommarson's Avatar

i am real glad that my keyhole worked cause i dunno if i could have handled being in my trunk undoing all those screws
    "In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

Thanks a lot everyone! This is all really helpful. I'll have to try the keyhole.. hopefully that works because it would suck if I had to crawl through and do all that.

Junior Member mgw_mk4 is on a distinguished road mgw_mk4's Avatar

I just press down on the trunk while I use the key to unlock it. Mine has the broken plastic part problem.

Junior Member planetx2 is on a distinguished road planetx2's Avatar

Hey! thank you for the tip!
    It save me a lot of work

This is a common fix. Mine broke twice before I found the only part I know of that will fix it.

JettaTrunk.Com

This part is made much stronger after installing it I can see it wont break again.

+ Reply to Thread