VW Jetta: Lost key to my 97 Jetta had aaa make a new one and now the car wont start wth?|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost key to my 97 Jetta had aaa make a new one and now the car wont start wth?

Default Lost key to my 97 Jetta had aaa make a new one and now the car wont start wth?

I recently got this car from the studios where i work. When i bought the car they said dont lose the key and within 24 hrs of owning the car i lost the key =(. I had AAA come out and they made me a new key which works fine except when i try to start the car. I turn the key on and the dash light come on like normal and then when i turn the key to start the car i get nothing. No turning over, no clicking like the battery is dead nothing. I heard that vw didnt start chipping the keys till 99 so i dont really know how to proceed. Is it some sort of anti theft ignition kill or is something wront with the new key or what. Also the cars interior was gutted because they used it in a movie. That being said i really dont know what all they messed with as far as the electrical is concerned. If anyone has any info or advice i would really appreciate the help. I just need a plan of attack on how to go about finding the problem. Thanks in advance to any and all advice. -MxB

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Keep'em Hammered onavianva is on a distinguished road onavianva's Avatar

Default Re: Lost key to my 97 Jetta had aaa make a new one and now the car wont start wth?

its probably the immobilizer. i know nothing about it sorry dude

Default Re: Lost key to my 97 Jetta had aaa make a new one and now the car wont start wth?

You will have to go to a dealer or a really good VW shop. The only way to change to a new key requires a computer to program the immobilizer to the new key. You will also need two keys when you do it. Ask around if anyone in your town knows someone with a VW computer (VAG-COM), or use this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-in-the-thread

+ Reply to Thread