VW Jetta: Need help finding timing marks on '85 VW Jetta Diesel 1.6 non-turbo|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help finding timing marks on '85 VW Jetta Diesel 1.6 non-turbo

Junior Member Sally and the Beast is on a distinguished road Sally and the Beast's Avatar

Default Need help finding timing marks on '85 VW Jetta Diesel 1.6 non-turbo

Howdy!

I'm about to start the process of replacing the injection pump and timing belt on my beast (1985 VW Jetta 1.6 non-turbo), and I can't find information on how to set up the timing marks (or find them) on the cam and crank shafts. Have the tools, have the parts, just need to verify finding the marks. Adding pictures, if possible, to the explanation, will help exponentially!

Many thanks!

Sally

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Need help finding timing marks on '85 VW Jetta Diesel 1.6 non-turbo

What I do is paint marks on the pulleys and fixed parts of the engine. To do this, just break out a bottle of tester's white enamel paint (the kind you use on model cars) and a paintbrush. Just mark the top of each pulley and then something in line with it. Like mark the side of the valve train pulley and a corresponding mark on the valve cover. Do the same on your crank shaft pulley and engine block, as well as the idler pulley. That should be sufficient. When you replace the belt, before tensioning it make sure all pulley marks are lined up and you'll be good to go!

BTW, there are timing marks in the form a small notch on the crankshaft pulley. You don't have to put the #1 cylinder in TDC or anything to do a belt change though. Just so long as everything is in the same position as it was when you started you will be successful. Hope that helps!

-Bob

Default Re: Need help finding timing marks on '85 VW Jetta Diesel 1.6 non-turbo

What I do is paint marks on the pulleys and fixed parts of the engine. To do this, just break out a bottle of tester's white enamel paint (the kind you use on model cars) and a paintbrush. Just mark the top of each pulley and then something in line with it. Like mark the side of the valve train pulley and a corresponding mark on the valve cover. Do the same on your crank shaft pulley and engine block, as well as the idler pulley. That should be sufficient. When you replace the belt, before tensioning it make sure all pulley marks are lined up and you'll be good to go!

BTW, there are timing marks in the form a small notch on the crankshaft pulley. You don't have to put the #1 cylinder in TDC or anything to do a belt change though. Just so long as everything is in the same position as it was when you started you will be successful. Hope that helps!

-Bob

+ Reply to Thread