Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Which oil do I use?

36K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ApexerVR6 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2006 Jetta TDI with 56000 miles on it. What oil do I use? I've always been a fan of Mobile 1 but this is my first diesel so I am open to suggestions. Also, when do I need to worry about maintenance, i.e. the Timing belt that everyone on here mentions? Again, first diesel... do I have to let the engine warm up before I drive it? Any help is appreciated!

#2 ·
VW recommends using the oil they provide at the dealership...which has a VW spec number on the container. This oil is (in my area) a Castrol synthetic but when I've looked at various auto supply houses the Castrol Synthetic on their shelves does not have the SPECIFIC VW spec number for TDi's. Anyway, for my '06 TDi I've started using Mobil Delvac 1 changed at 5,000 mile intervals. This oil does not list the specific VW spec number on its label...but I use it anyway.

#5 ·
Well the first oil change is done, I went with the safe bet and bought the oil and filter from the dealership. Looking around I couldn't find any oil to meet the VW specs at a local store. I went with Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-30 fully synthetic which cost me $7.53/qt and a VW filter which was just under $10.00. They recommended that I change the oil every 5,000 miles. Looking at idparts.com... it was actually cheaper to buy from the dealership! Thanks for all your guys' help.

#6 ·
I don't know but every dealership I've ever been in buys bulk oil from whoever is selling it the cheapest. Whatever oil you choose to go with make sure that it has a soot control like Rotella or Valv. Premium Blue. It help prevent breakdown of the lubricants from the fuel that gets in it.

#7 ·
Your TDI has self pumping injectors which are pumped by a specially coated lobe on the camshaft . The reason for the coating is that the injectors put substantial pressure on the lobes due to high injection pressures . And last I checked VW only approves two oils , one is what the factory uses , and the dealers are supposed to use , Castrol Synthetic that has the VW spec , and the only other approved is Amsoil European Car Formula 5W30 . Make sure that if you don't use an approved oil , that it can handle the extreme pressure applied to the cam lobes .
I like Amsoil 15w40 Heavy Duty Marine and Diesel or 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil .
Recheck the change intervals , I believe 5k miles is initial oil change , after that every 10k . But I think you can get by with 20k mile changes

#10 ·
Your owners manual gives maintenance intervals .
VW all but demands 10k as an european standard that should be adhered to .
3k - 4K intervals are 1940s technology , and are used to get you in the shop more often ! Its a sales thing .
7k miles is a good idea for the harshest conditions using non synthetics .
Truth is most standard , good grade oil can go 10 - 15k miles in the best conditions , but should be monitored closely over 10k .
Most synthetics can go 15k , under normal driving conditions .
I fully agree about the stock filter arraignment , and a 10k change interval would be a good idea , with a 20k drain interval . I bought a Datsun truck from an Amoco engineer , with 100k on it , and he had done just this with Amsoil . I continued the practice for another 150k miles before I sold the truck , and the engine stayed clean , with on lubrication troubles at all . 250k miles is a good test !
Besides now having a TDI Jetta , I also have A D'max in an '02 crew p/u , I have used Amsoil from the first oil change , and since 30k , have installed a bypass oil filter system and have not drained the oil for over 30k miles . Thats 30k miles on the same oil !
I do have the oil lab tested every other filter change , which is at 10k the stock type filter gets changed , at 20k both stock type and bypass micro filter get change and an oil sample taken . And this truck is used pretty harshly pulling heavy loads over Afton mountain , which is a good test on anything .
Even if you don't believe in being green , and I hate green ! , the longer you can make the drain intervals without harming you engine or driveline , the better for our planet .
Amsoil will cover proven oil related failures if you follow manufacture intervals , their's or VWs .
Just my 2 cents , your milage may vary , let your conscience be your guide !

#11 ·
Since no one else has pointed this out...

Your 2006 likely has a BRM engine, which has known issues with premature camshaft wear. The leading theory on what causes this over at tdiclub is the wrong oil. I can't recommend strongly enough that you ensure that whatever oil you use meets the 501.01 or better spec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.