Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Automatic Transmission

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  shakes_101 
#1 ·
my transmission acted really weird today. The car would shift out of 1st really late and wouldnt reach 4th gear. Turned the car off and turned it back on and all of a sudden its working normal again...??? lol should i start off with a transmission fluid flush? or anyone know what might be the cause?

oh and how much would a fluid flush cost me?

#2 ·
How many miles are on your car? Have you had a tranny flush before? What engine is it?

The shop I work at does tranny flushes for $119.99 but that's here in MN. Different shops will vary. Really depends on where you are I would think. But make sure you use the right fluid. Of course we just use a generic trans fluid.

For your car, use a full synthetic. Some people are under the impression that the VW ATF fluid is synthetic, but its actually a highly refined mineral oil. It can break down if it gets too hot. I would use penzoil full synthetic, or the Redline D4ATF, both of which are approved for use in VWs, and exceed the standards set.

Your problem definitely sounds like a trans fluid issue, perhaps a bad filter as well (if you have one). Trans flushes are recommended every 30k, although the fluid is far more durable than engine oil, it still breaks down the same way after time. The filter should be down every 45k miles, but for the same of common sense, I would do it every trans flush.

First, find out what trans you have, there's no info on your car listed above so I cant be sure what which one it is. Then look up your fluid capacity and whether or not it has filter, because not all of them have them. Either way, I would stick with the Penzoil synthetic, Amsoil Synthetic, or the Redline D4ATF. Do a little bit of research and find out which is best for you. Prices can range from $9 to $20 a quart... Look for good deals..

#3 ·
its is a 2.0 4 cyl AEG with 98k miles and I doubt the previous owner did one.
I noticed that the car did the same thing again after a sudden stop and shift of the body weight.does that sound like a lack of fluid?
I personally think its a lack of fluid but from what Ive heard this transmission can only be serviced from people with the right VW tools. I was thinking of just taking it to jiffy lube and asking how much for a flush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.