Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Car Jerks When Shifting

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Boost Addicted 
#1 ·
Hello, new member here. I actually have a 2003 GTI VR6 with the 6-speed manual, not a Jetta, but I saw the quality of answers in this forum so I posted here. This problem started a few months ago:

As I accelerate, when I depress the clutch pedal to upshift and I lift my foot OFF the gas, the engine RPMs do not immediately drop. Instead it takes about a second for the RPMs to stop climbing after I depress the clutch pedal. Therefore when I shift to the next gear and release the clutch again, the car jerks as the engine RPMs decrease rather abruptly.

Before this problem started, when I depressed the clutch, the engine RPMs begin to drop the instant I press the clutch pedal in, as is the case with all other manual transmission cars I've owned. I suspected this was a clutch issue, and since I have 113K miles on the car, I just had the clutch and timing chain replaced this week. However the issue persists. I had the throttle-body cleaned as well, but no luck either.

What would cause this problem? Is something wrong with the throttle-body? The mass-air meter? The computer? The intake? It's almost as if something is still giving the car gas for another second or so, AFTER I take my foot off the accelerator. This is very annoying, especially when I have passengers in the car, they assume I can't drive a stick which is not the case. And I'm sure the jerking can't be good for the transmission and suspension.

Any help would be appreciated. :(

See less See more
#5 ·
I would try a reflash or having your battery unplugged for an hour or so to try and reset things... Sometimes rev hang is an ECU issue, sometimes it can be due to other things.. A video would definitely help too if you can get one.

Do you feel a jerk or significant movement of the engine when you lift off the accelerator w/o depressing the clutch?

#6 ·
my guess is your clutch is bad. does your cars rpm rev high when you hit the gas, then bog back down? sounds like the clutch is gone and its not catching fast enough, so when you shift it grinds into gear. at least thats what im getting from what you wrote. try revving high in a lower gear, then hit the clutch, then gas hard. if the rpm spikes, then you need a clutch.

little tip, before you can get a new one (if you do need one), try rev matching your gears. you can shift without a clutch without grinding. i wouldnt try it in first to second, but the other gear you can do. rev to like 3500 rpm in 2nd or 3rd, then shift to neutral without using the clutch. pause just a split second in neutral, then push it into the next gear. if you do it right, it wont grind. you can also down shift, but its a lot harder. if you are in say 4th and want to go to 3rd, you will need to match the rpms. since downshifting causes rpms to rise, you need to compensate. go from 4th, slap it in neutral, than hit the gas while in neutral. rev it up like another 1000 rpm past what you were. so if 4th was 2500 rpm, go to 3500 rpm in neutral, then slap the stick into 3rd. its a bit harder, but you should be able to do it without grinding.

this is also a lot of fun to just goof around with. its not great for your tranny, but if done right it will save your clutch, or postpone the need for a new one until you get it replaced.

all that being said, i would check plugs, connections, maf (clean it), wires, and possibly exhaust/cat. sorry thats a lot to read. good luck though :)

#8 ·
He said he just got a new clutch dude lol.

Doesn't mean its not smoked... You're not really supposed to boost on a new clutch. You're supposed to drive it like a granny for the first 5k or so. But it doesn't sound like a clutch IMO.

#12 ·
He said he just got a new clutch dude lol.

Doesn't mean its not smoked... You're not really supposed to boost on a new clutch. You're supposed to drive it like a granny for the first 5k or so. But it doesn't sound like a clutch IMO.
5k?!?! Everyone I've talked to has said about 500.
but yea it doesn't really sound like you glazzed the clutch. Definitely don't push it hard for at least a couple hundred miles or you will end up glazzing it.

Just another thought. It could be the clutch pedal sensor/switch. People complain about their RPM's hanging when it goes bad. Just pull the sensor and check that. Takes 5mins and can't really hurt anything

#11 ·
Yup, TBA (throttle body allignment), also accomplished by an ECU flash or batt unplug..But using a scan tool is the easiest, most efficient way. This may be the case.. Keep us updated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.