VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Burning plastic or rubber smell? |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burning plastic or rubber smell?

Member ViciousGLI is on a distinguished road ViciousGLI's Avatar

Default Burning plastic or rubber smell?

Well I was sitting in a drive-thru line yesterday when I started smelling a burning rubber smell, I thought it was the car in front of me but I'm still smelling it and when I opened my hood it was really strong.

I see no smoke, the car drives and feels fine, I can't see anything under the car or hood that would cause it to smell, the oil is fine, and the temp gauge says its not overheating...

I think the smell started going away after I turned off the a/c which was set to heat. Could that be the problem?

Senior Member LoweredStandards is on a distinguished road LoweredStandards's Avatar

Default Re: Burning plastic or rubber smell?

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousGLI View Post
    Well I was sitting in a drive-thru line yesterday when I started smelling a burning rubber smell, I thought it was the car in front of me but I'm still smelling it and when I opened my hood it was really strong.

I see no smoke, the car drives and feels fine, I can't see anything under the car or hood that would cause it to smell, the oil is fine, and the temp gauge says its not overheating...

I think the smell started going away after I turned off the a/c which was set to heat. Could that be the problem?
    Check the wiring around the fans.

otherwise, just keep an eye on it and if you smell it again, take another look.

I have this same issue. I ran over a plastic bag about four months ago and figured the smell would be gone.

if your car is lowered you could of caught a plastic bag on your exhaust.
    ladies is pimps too

Member ViciousGLI is on a distinguished road ViciousGLI's Avatar

Default Re: Burning plastic or rubber smell?

Quote Originally Posted by bladechoppa View Post
    I have this same issue. I ran over a plastic bag about four months ago and figured the smell would be gone.

if your car is lowered you could of caught a plastic bag on your exhaust.
    Ya I was wondering if that could have been it too. I will check later today

+ Reply to Thread