Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

"Fuel Air Metering" Code P1296

5K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  slowjet1.8 
#1 ·
I recently threw this code, i did some research on it and from what i could find a lot of sources were saying that it was the MAF sensor, so yesterday i cleaned my MAF and cleared the code. I drove around for 90 miles then i threw the code again. I also am catless so i am curious if that has anything to do with it. I also read that it could be an O2 sensor. I also scanned it with another scanner and it came up with the same code but a different explanation, this time it said coolant system malfunction. I have read to change the coolant temperature sensor. I really need to figure out my problem so i can get it fixed because my car needs inspection this month. Thanks guys.

#6 ·
Try Google-ing around a bit more. When I was researching to fix my cooling system on my VR I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the 1.8 has 2 sensors, one being a 2 prong and the other a 4 prong. If I recall one is at the back of the engine and the other is at the front. But don't quote me on this, like I said, I was looking for info on a VR so was just scanning through the 1.8 stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.