Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1.8T vs. VR6

137K views 285 replies 91 participants last post by  rico 
#1 ·
Okay guys this is the OFFICIAL 1.8T vs. VR6 thread. Seeing as the search function here on JettaJunkie is terrible, the old threads are pretty hard to find. But that's okay, this thread will be put into the n00b guide.

Rules are simple, state which you prefer and why. I don't want a bunch of BS "because I have a VR6, so you should have one too". And please keep the info as accurate as possible, this IS after all going into the sticky.

#3 ·
Good add Vixen

Both are good motors, but I prefer the 1.8t. You get more power a lot easier and cheaper then a VR6. Plus the 1.8t is awesome for those of us who use our jetta/getta/jolfs as our daily driver because it makes more power then the VR6 and gets better gas mileage doing it. Although there is some extra care that goes along with owning a 1.8t. I think its an verall better choice (unless you can afford to get VRT, but thats a whole different conversation). The only reason I like VR6's over 1.8t's is the orgasmic exhaust notes.

#5 ·
Yep the Vr has more power out of the box than a 1.8t, both horsepower and torque.

I wanted a 6 because of the potential it has. With the right amount of money they can be quite the power house, and will easily put beefed up 1.8t's in there place. And yes, do they sound amazing.

#12 ·
the sound of a vr with a straight pipe actually. once your ears stop bleeding.

my buddy got his 24V VR6 tuned recently on F1tuning. big defference. love the sound of a VR. but also love the sound of a 1.8t. love the low end feel of the VR though. the 1.8t is just plain "girly" compared to the VR (no offence to the girls on the form. most of yall have ballin cars)
and just because this is a comparison thread doesnt mean you can call the 1.8t girly. otherwise you can come visit mine.

#11 ·
my buddy got his 24V VR6 tuned recently on F1tuning. big defference. love the sound of a VR. but also love the sound of a 1.8t. love the low end feel of the VR though. the 1.8t is just plain "girly" compared to the VR (no offence to the girls on the form. most of yall have ballin cars)

#17 ·
[good post]

the sound of a vr with a straight pipe actually. once your ears stop bleeding.

and just because this is a comparison thread doesnt mean you can call the 1.8t girly. otherwise you can come visit mine.
Haha a local guy was runnin his VRT with an open downpipe. I think I jizzed a little every time I heard it.

Yea, don't call 1.8t's girly... Most of the 1.8t's on here would walk all over most of the VRs on here.

#20 ·
here is how it works 1.8t>vr6 however VRT>1.8t vr6s are deff more reliable from what i have seen.

only thing about a 1.8t and ur wanting 400+ your gunna have lag. im runnin a gt3076 and my car has like no bawls under 3.5krpm but after that LOL bye bye

#173 ·
here is how it works 1.8t>vr6 however VRT>1.8t vr6s are deff more reliable from what i have seen.

only thing about a 1.8t and ur wanting 400+ your gunna have lag. im runnin a gt3076 and my car has like no bawls under 3.5krpm but after that LOL bye bye
I totally agree with you. My buddy I work with has a MKII VRT that is stupid fast, however very unsafe. All that power in a light car, it's all over the place. He's putting the swap in a MKIII.

I'm running a GT35r in my MKIV and you're right, no guts or glory below 4k. However I've got just about 4200 rpm's of fun after that! Then holy hell comes in!

#36 ·
IMO 1.8T are better then vr6 any day of the week
With the 1.8t one can get 300whp and still rock 30mpg now this is a great daily driver

The vr6 sounds great and pulls really hard but as soon as you start modding them your gas mileage goes down the drain (even more) and while you can make 500+horses it would take some serious $$$$ to make that power and put it down to the asphalt.

1.8t -> better daily driver, best power for the money

vr6 -> better weekend car/race car

#47 ·
in all honesty I would love to have either. I have a friend who used to have the 1.8T and it was a blast to drive let alone great gas mileage. I personally own a vr6 cause my car used to be my moms (lol). I love the vr6 engine, it has good gas mileage and it has loads of power (and it sounds like a pure beast). But if I were to buy another jetta and I had the option of either one...I would go with the 1.8T mainly because of the better gas mileage and common its a turbo haha ;)

#49 ·
im sticking with my vr6. once i graduate in may and find a job i think im gonna look for an r32 as well. therefore, stay posted :D oh, and my current vr6 will be getting a turbo by christmas. vicky, your car might be done :O

#62 ·
I prefer the VR, could be cause i have a vrt, but still....

I dont quite understand why everyone is talking about being able to get more hp out of the 1.8t cheaper.... exhaust and comparable mods equal the same sort of gains i believe in the 1.8t vs the vr... granted you can turn up the boost on a 1.8 with a chip, but the aggressive tuning for the na vr's is nice too....

also i prefer the sound of the vr over the 1.8t, granted a very happy spooling turbo is always nice...

so in the end vr over 1.8 for sound, and the ability to do a vrt :)

#63 ·
I dont quite understand why everyone is talking about being able to get more hp out of the 1.8t cheaper.... exhaust and comparable mods equal the same sort of gains i believe in the 1.8t vs the vr... granted you can turn up the boost on a 1.8 with a chip, but the aggressive tuning for the na vr's is nice too....
I don't understand how you think its cheaper to get more hp out of a VR6 then a 1.8t... A 1.8t with just a chip will make more power then a VR6 with a tune, exhaust, and intake. Unless you go forced induction or do a serious motor build your not gonna make as much power does.

#64 ·
well lets look at it from the other end of the scale, large builds, big turbo 1.8t or big turbo vr6....

both kits cost around the same $ figure, and which car makes more power?

so its all about perspective and how you want to look at it.....

and a giac x chip will bring a 1.8t to about 225hp, a full c2 tune on na vr6 is about 216 or so..

in the end dollar for dollar, you can get more out of a vr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.