VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: 1.8T vs. VR6 |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.8T vs. VR6

Euro Snob Vixen is on a distinguished road Vixen's Avatar

Default 1.8T vs. VR6

Okay guys this is the OFFICIAL 1.8T vs. VR6 thread. Seeing as the search function here on JettaJunkie is terrible, the old threads are pretty hard to find. But that's okay, this thread will be put into the n00b guide.

Rules are simple, state which you prefer and why. I don't want a bunch of BS "because I have a VR6, so you should have one too". And please keep the info as accurate as possible, this IS after all going into the sticky.
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6 | sLoww MK4 VR6 RIP | MK6 2.5 SEL

Stunt Status slowjet1.8 is on a distinguished road slowjet1.8's Avatar

Default Re: 1.8T vs. VR6

ok i will start off by saying i like the 1.8t's because of being able to turn up the boost which equals quick easy power. I have not driven a vr6 so i cannot say anything about those.
    Check us out -->Hidden Content

G&M Performance canucme3 is on a distinguished road canucme3's Avatar

Good add Vixen

Both are good motors, but I prefer the 1.8t. You get more power a lot easier and cheaper then a VR6. Plus the 1.8t is awesome for those of us who use our jetta/getta/jolfs as our daily driver because it makes more power then the VR6 and gets better gas mileage doing it. Although there is some extra care that goes along with owning a 1.8t. I think its an verall better choice (unless you can afford to get VRT, but thats a whole different conversation). The only reason I like VR6's over 1.8t's is the orgasmic exhaust notes.
    Hidden Content .:G&M Performance:. MBC for sale Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Vixen Hidden Content
    Why do that when you could S my D?

yeah they do give the sound of amazing. The vr6's have more torque though don't they? I know my friends R does.

Quote Originally Posted by slowjet1.8 View Post
    yeah they do give the sound of amazing. The vr6's have more torque though don't they? I know my friends R does.
    Yep the Vr has more power out of the box than a 1.8t, both horsepower and torque.

I wanted a 6 because of the potential it has. With the right amount of money they can be quite the power house, and will easily put beefed up 1.8t's in there place. And yes, do they sound amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    Yep the Vr has more power out of the box than a 1.8t, both horsepower and torque.

I wanted a 6 because of the potential it has. With the right amount of money they can be quite the power house, and will easily put beefed up 1.8t's in there place. And yes, do they sound amazing.
    but like canucme3 stated, it is cheaper to get power out of the 1.8s than the vr6's. Which is why i chose the 1.8t.

Junior Member Its Me is on a distinguished road Its Me's Avatar

I am gonna be silently watching this post to see what everyone has to say between the two in hopes it will help me decide which route I wanna go when I get me a MKIV!
    Live life to the fullest... Customize EVERYTHING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

Yup 24v made 200hp and 195ft-lbs and 1.8t AWP made 180hp and 174ft-lbs (although these numbers were proven to be underrated from the factory), but with just a tune the 1.8t jumps up to about 215hp and 250ft-lbs. Also if you look at the numbers, stock they both run the same times for the 1/4 and 0-60.
    I'm also gonna throw it out there that my 1.8t held its own against a VRT. I won't post the video on here, but PM me if you want the link.

The sound is why the got the nickname VRSexxxx.

not your typical air ride DasBohan is on a distinguished road DasBohan's Avatar

vr6>1.8t....and i have a 1.8t
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Boost Addicted Hidden Content
    All girlfriends are legal. Its just what you do with them that may be questionable lol
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by OregonDweller Hidden Content
    he just wants all your scene points Ryan, careful.

I prefer 1.8t simply bc its quick easy power, and you cant beat the sound of the spooling turbo. and the mpg is well worth it it get close to 30 in mine.

rollin deep bikerkid9069 is on a distinguished road bikerkid9069's Avatar

my buddy got his 24V VR6 tuned recently on F1tuning. big defference. love the sound of a VR. but also love the sound of a 1.8t. love the low end feel of the VR though. the 1.8t is just plain "girly" compared to the VR (no offence to the girls on the form. most of yall have ballin cars)
    sick of seeing corvette rims on mk4's

Quote Originally Posted by jsudberry View Post
    I prefer 1.8t simply bc its quick easy power, and you cant beat the sound of the spooling turbo. and the mpg is well worth it it get close to 30 in mine.
    the sound of a vr with a straight pipe actually. once your ears stop bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerkid9069 View Post
    my buddy got his 24V VR6 tuned recently on F1tuning. big defference. love the sound of a VR. but also love the sound of a 1.8t. love the low end feel of the VR though. the 1.8t is just plain "girly" compared to the VR (no offence to the girls on the form. most of yall have ballin cars)
    and just because this is a comparison thread doesnt mean you can call the 1.8t girly. otherwise you can come visit mine.
    All girlfriends are legal. Its just what you do with them that may be questionable lol

Quote Originally Posted by bikerkid9069 View Post
    I drive a VR so no offence taken

Jetta Junkie Moderator TurboJettaBoy02 has disabled reputation TurboJettaBoy02's Avatar

VR-T > 1.8T > VR6.

1.8T: cheap mods
    VR6: great powerband and sound
    VR-T: pricey but qualifies as "stupid nasty" imo.

Senior Member dante88 is on a distinguished road dante88's Avatar

Well, I own a vr6, Power- torque and sound = sex
    But i may have to go with the 1.8t, Better fuel economy , cheaper to get some extra ponies and the sound of a turbo is also sexy!
    "SKE"

rollin deep bikerkid9069 is on a distinguished road bikerkid9069's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DasBohan View Post
    and just because this is a comparison thread doesnt mean you can call the 1.8t girly. otherwise you can come visit mine.
    didnt mean to offend anyone with a 1.8t.. just saying that those motors are torqy for a four banger. but id rather a vr.

before i got my first dub i was real into muscle cars (new and old) and trucks. so a 1.8t really doesn't do it for me even if its worked out. ill still respect the shit out of it, but i wouldnt buy one. but they still better then MY 2.0L.
    sick of seeing corvette rims on mk4's

Quote Originally Posted by TurboJettaBoy02 View Post
    VR-T > 1.8T > VR6.

1.8T: cheap mods
    VR6: great powerband and sound
    VR-T: pricey but qualifies as "stupid nasty" imo.

Haha a local guy was runnin his VRT with an open downpipe. I think I jizzed a little every time I heard it.

Yea, don't call 1.8t's girly... Most of the 1.8t's on here would walk all over most of the VRs on here.

Quote Originally Posted by canucme3 View Post

Haha a local guy was runnin his VRT with an open downpipe. I think I jizzed a little every time I heard it.

Yea, don't call 1.8t's girly... Most of the 1.8t's on here would walk all over most of the VRs on here.
    in my summer mode, im only threatened by one VR here, thats at least a consistant member and thats euroflash. cuz that thing is ill. But there are plenty of 1.8s that are mean on jj. teh chris should be churning all kinds of mean soon.

in my summer mode, im only threatened by one VR here, thats at least a consistant member and thats euroflash. cuz that thing is ill. But there are plenty of 1.8s that are mean on jj. teh chris should be churning all kinds of mean soon.
    Yea same here and even then I think Euroflash is pushing around 400hp which is within the reaches of a BT 1.8.

Senior Member Mk4Matt is on a distinguished road Mk4Matt's Avatar

here is how it works 1.8t>vr6 however VRT>1.8t vr6s are deff more reliable from what i have seen.

only thing about a 1.8t and ur wanting 400+ your gunna have lag. im runnin a gt3076 and my car has like no bawls under 3.5krpm but after that LOL bye bye
    Turbo lag.. Natures way of preventing whiplash.

Quote Originally Posted by Its Me View Post
    I am gonna be silently watching this post to see what everyone has to say between the two in hopes it will help me decide which route I wanna go when I get me a MKIV!
    I'm doing the same. XD
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by jedduh Hidden Content
    ..not everyone is pursuing a career in plowing….

heres something to help the debate: MKIVs suck, get another gen! 2.0>allotherengines
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by DasBohan Hidden Content
    martin shebag, you cant handle me
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by DasBohan Hidden Content
    As per tradition we name all our hilarious ricer posters. So, ladies and gentlemen i introduce, Charles Camelglow. enjoy the destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDweller View Post
    heres something to help the debate: MKIVs suck, get another gen! 2.0>allotherengines
    i completely agree with this ha. mk1 with a 2.0 8v SOHC engine swap, no exhaust. To this day my favorite engine bay. Simple clean, absolutely brilliant.

Senior Member VW_DaNgLeS is on a distinguished road VW_DaNgLeS's Avatar

i once drove a 1.8t gti and had nothing bad to say about it but it was nothing compared to my vr6. i am actually debating swapping a 1.8t into my mk2 so i can have the best of both worlds lol

Member skizzleboarder is on a distinguished road skizzleboarder's Avatar

i like my vr6 better,but ive never drove a 1.8t....soo i dont really know. but i love the sound of vr6's

Member skizzleboarder is on a distinguished road skizzleboarder's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqV5XE3XKUE
    like this?

Junior Member vr6cam is on a distinguished road vr6cam's Avatar

Personally I like the vr6, more reliable, sounds sexy, torque up the ass! 1.8's on the other hand, easy to mod, sexy turbo sound, better mpg... my vr will soon becoming the vrt so... best of both worlds? :-)

Sofa King Euro SpeedyGTI is on a distinguished road SpeedyGTI's Avatar

24v vr6>12v vr6>1.8t>2.0
    the vr6 sounds soooo sick its not even funny. yea 1.8ts are cheap to mod but all u need is one mod to make a vr sick.....TURBO!
    2010 Toyota Tacoma DCSB 4x4 (Daily) l 1994 VW Golf VR6 (Project) l Instagram: Tico_Suave18

Jetta Junkie Moderator TurboJettaBoy02 has disabled reputation TurboJettaBoy02's Avatar

1.8T's have some serious torque especially chipped. my 1st and 2nd are just tire burners, even rolling into it in 2nd gear. guess its time for drag radials lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboJettaBoy02 View Post
    1.8T's have some serious torque especially chipped. my 1st and 2nd are just tire burners, even rolling into it in 2nd gear. guess its time for drag radials lol.
    Same here and with this cold weather I'm spinning tires in part of 3rd. I also just put in a MBC yesterday and its running 20+psi which is more then enough to give me some serious torque steer in any gear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast