VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: 1.8T vs. VR6 |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: 1.8T vs. VR6

Default Re: 1.8T vs. VR6

Quote Originally Posted by canucme3 View Post
    Good add Vixen

Both are good motors, but I prefer the 1.8t. You get more power a lot easier and cheaper then a VR6. Plus the 1.8t is awesome for those of us who use our jetta/getta/jolfs as our daily driver because it makes more power then the VR6 and gets better gas mileage doing it. Although there is some extra care that goes along with owning a 1.8t. I think its an verall better choice (unless you can afford to get VRT, but thats a whole different conversation). The only reason I like VR6's over 1.8t's is the orgasmic exhaust notes.
    what kind of extra care is needed for a 1.8t?

Euro Snob Vixen is on a distinguished road Vixen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edubz View Post
    what kind of extra care is needed for a 1.8t?
    All of the hoses pretty much have to be replaced, they're junk and break causing vac leaks. If you own the car long enough, the oem turbo does not usually last passed ~120k. I don't own one, but my boyfriend did for 11 months and spent a ridiculous amount of money getting it running correctly just to do the bolt on mods, only had 90k on it (the turbo went out around 80k) when he was done.
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6 | sLoww MK4 VR6 RIP | MK6 2.5 SEL

Keep'em Hammered onavianva is on a distinguished road onavianva's Avatar

i guess i lucked out. my stock turbo still spoolin strong and I'm at 176,6XX miles. but my ecu did shit so i guess something is bound to poop.

Senior Member KiDGiB is on a distinguished road KiDGiB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    All of the hoses pretty much have to be replaced, they're junk and break causing vac leaks. If you own the car long enough, the oem turbo does not usually last passed ~120k. I don't own one, but my boyfriend did for 11 months and spent a ridiculous amount of money getting it running correctly just to do the bolt on mods, only had 90k on it (the turbo went out around 80k) when he was done.
    I agree with this 100%. All my vacuum hoses were brittle when i got it, also blew the turbo the first day i got her at 93k... Waterpump went at 96k

Member seanpennysc is on a distinguished road seanpennysc's Avatar

I have both. A 2000 vr6, and an 03 1.8t.

Just for numbers sake, the 2000 vr6 said it came with 174 hp + 181 lb ft from factory. 2003 1.8T AWP = 180 hp + 174 lb ft. So when some have said the vr6 mk4 had more horse you must be comparing it to the older 1.8t before 2003 that had 150. oh, did I just do that?! ok, 2003 vr6 had 200 hp. *sheepish grin* -

Anyways... for a mere stop-n-flash my 1.8t has 225ish horsepower for $500.
    $500 in the vr6? well, let's just say I didn't accomplish as much for the same price/effort.

I love the growl of the vr, and the grunt down low. Feels quite different in the corners. There is something to be said about more weight over the front-end. I no-likey. Factory 16" alloys looked good, but got swapped out anyways to 17". Doesn't feel real punchy in higher rpm's. I hate putting in more fuel per mile in town, but it can run regular 89 octane so it could be a bit cheaper but I always use 91. 89 octane just doesn't feel the same on the seat of my pants.

I love the spool of the turbo. Never have found it lagging. The turbo is too small and spools too fast for lag really. That could be listed as a downpoint i guess, but it's well suited until you get serious about power/boost. Factory 17" rims are still rockin. 91 octane or better hasn't ever been an issue for me, since this is the lowest i ever run in all my vehicles. Corners better than the vr6 with comparible struts. Loves rpm's, and if you keep it over 2500 you're always grinning.

Repair costs have been pretty equall, except the vr6 ate a couple axles early-on and seems to be using up the clutch a little quickly. My vr6 has about 15000 less km's, and doesn't quite feel as new as my 1.8t does. I've driven them both as hard i figure. This debate may be best re-visited in 100,000 km's. I will say that my 1.8t has seen more highway miles though, but not that much more. They both average about the same for fuel consumption on the highway, as long as there's no mountains. Starngely the 1.8t does better mileage in the mountains. This is totally just my experience though.

I love them both. ALOT. the 2.0L and 1.9tdi get their highway miles racked up, but for fun it's always the vr or the t. I don't think you can really say one is better than the other. honestly. it's just personal preference. VR6's have hose issues, 1.8T's have hose issues... etc etc equal, even-stevens.

(I will say that my 1.8T got repainted this year, and I haven't even thought about bringing out the vr6 yet) oops. slight preference shift coming this year possibly.

not your typical air ride DasBohan is on a distinguished road DasBohan's Avatar

yeah im sry vicky this isnt even remotely true. Its pretty damn rare and i mean like, 5 times in my life, has a blown turbo rolled in to the shop under 150k. and 4 of those 5 were more than likely TDIs. idiots who dont maintain their vac lines; run into limp mode, all the damn time. but a blown turbo in 120k is usually subject to some serious "wtf are you doing to your car" questions followed swiftly by shoving the manual in the owners face where it reads in bold PREMIUM/93 OCTANE ONLY

you wanna talk various other problems like water pump and timing belts being a burden one has to anticipate, we can discuss these awful decisions all day ha
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Boost Addicted Hidden Content
    All girlfriends are legal. Its just what you do with them that may be questionable lol
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by OregonDweller Hidden Content
    he just wants all your scene points Ryan, careful.

Every person I know with a 1.8t has had to replace the turbo before 100k. Granted they were all tuned, not sure how big of a difference that would make.

Also that part above you is tl;dr

Sent from some shitty app.

Every person I know with a 1.8t has had to replace the turbo before 100k. Granted they were all tuned, not sure how big of a difference that would make.

Also that part above you is tl;dr

lol^ me either

but sounds like you got a lot of friends beatin their poor vws a little too hard
    All girlfriends are legal. Its just what you do with them that may be questionable lol

Quote Originally Posted by DasBohan View Post
    lol^ me either

but sounds like you got a lot of friends beatin their poor vws a little too hard
    Ian's blew at 80k. Was not beat on in his possession, and I doubt the previous owner beat on it considering who he is and how well each of his cars were cared for. Had another buddy with a tuned gti blow it around 100k, was not beat on. In fact out of the 5-6 people I know of, only one of them beat on their car. Maybe it's the tune, but I have seen too many 1.8t's turn into headaches for me to ever even consider owning one.

Senior Member KiDGiB is on a distinguished road KiDGiB's Avatar

I know a lot of you will say this is bs, but you actually hurt your turbo more by not getting on it... Ask a mechanic at the ford dealership about those super duties and people that baby their turbo.

sorry for being wordy sometimes. just passionate bout my mk4 jetta's. my 1.8T has 150,000 km's and still has original turbo.

Ian's blew at 80k. Was not beat on in his possession, and I doubt the previous owner beat on it considering who he is and how well each of his cars were cared for. Had another buddy with a tuned gti blow it around 100k, was not beat on. In fact out of the 5-6 people I know of, only one of them beat on their car. Maybe it's the tune, but I have seen too many 1.8t's turn into headaches for me to ever even consider owning one.

i dont know what yall are doing over there, must be your tuning. because for how often im in the shop, and how many cars i see come in and go ( id estimate in the 3000s) a blown turbo is a shocker on anything vw they have done a great job on them

sold my last 1.8t b5 passat with 300k, did the water pump and timing belt for a THIRD time (thats right, that beast survived 3 timing belts/waterpumps) right before we sold it for 3500$ with ORIGINAL turbo. other than a few thermostats, a wheel bearing, several brake and rotor replacements and some tierods, all usual mileage, that car was a champ.

i've seen a couple tuned 1.8T's blow turbos. but it was always 'user-error'. Running too much boost with failed DV's. Ignoring CEL. Running the car pretty much out of oil. Running 10w30 non-synthetic oil. Idiot moves, or thinking the backpressure flutter through the turbo sounded cool. NEVER have seen a turbo fail in a propperly serviced car. I service a 2001 1.8T for a friend that has 483,000 km's. 4 timing belts and 3 waterpumps, front axles both replaced twice, 2nd auto transmission replacement, 2 forge DV's replaced, bushings, gaskets, and countless other repairs, but still factory k3 turbo. Stage 1 APR tune for years with factory exhaust + intercooler. 'Bullet-proof' almost comes to mind :-) He's selling it finally because the body is finally showing a couple rust spots. (FYI, still asking $3500 LoL)

Senior Member amg84 is on a distinguished road amg84's Avatar

If I could buy a second car, I'd go with a 1.8t over a vr only because I feel volkswagens belong with 4 bangers. A vr is a pretty powerful engine but it just doesn't have the same feel as the 4 cylinder cars, specially when you're talking about cornering. Not for nothing, Low, stiff, light and balanced is what made VW such a desirable vehicle in the autocross scene in the 80's and 90's. Times are changing and more power is a demand and so they engineer bigger more capable motors, nothing wrong with that but, wouldn't you want to stick to the roots if you're at all concerned about performance?

with a few mods the 1.8 is going to be better, but the 1.8 will never sound as good as the vr6 I've tried
    I said I didnt want to mod my car... Im addicted

Quote Originally Posted by VDUBBIN_95 View Post
    with a few mods the 1.8 is going to be better, but the 1.8 will never sound as good as the vr6 I've tried
    + 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10