Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1.8T vs. VR6

137K views 285 replies 91 participants last post by  rico 
#1 ·
Okay guys this is the OFFICIAL 1.8T vs. VR6 thread. Seeing as the search function here on JettaJunkie is terrible, the old threads are pretty hard to find. But that's okay, this thread will be put into the n00b guide.

Rules are simple, state which you prefer and why. I don't want a bunch of BS "because I have a VR6, so you should have one too". And please keep the info as accurate as possible, this IS after all going into the sticky.

#65 ·
Yea I'm not saying that a VR6 doesn't have more potential. If you can do the full build and turbo it then your gonna make more power. Put 1.8t's can still get pretty high up there in the HP numbers. You also have to remember that these are FWD cars so at a certain point it doesn't matter how much power your car makes cause it won't be able to put it down and both motors have the ability to reach that point.

The numbers for those chips are assuming your car is completely stock (I know for sure about GIAC, but idk about C2). That still puts the 1.8t out in front. Throw on a the bolt-ons for each and the 1.8t runs walks away from a VR6.

#74 ·
In my quest for my MKIV I test drove both (not necessarily gingerly either), both engines were connected to a auto tranny, (VR was a 12v) and I have to say what won me over was the instant-on torque of the VR. Don't get me wrong, I loved the kick of the turbo but in the end I subscribed to the phrase; "There's no replacement for displacement", and the VR = SEX debate doesn't apply to me, been married for 22 yrs now, wife could have cared less which one I bought!

#75 ·
I loved the kick of the turbo but in the end I subscribed to the phrase; "There's no replacement for displacement"
That kick of the turbo is so much better and more powerful then the instant torque of the VR.
btw There is no replacement for displacement except boost XD
anyways VR6's sound like sex, but

^best sweatshirt i've ever owned

#76 ·
about the earlier battle about the vr6 and 1.8t being the same price for more power. thats complete BS! haha. i own a vr6. i have 262 cams, lightened flywheel, light weight pulleys, full exhaust, and intake. i rebuilt the motor, and im maybe at like 210hp 220 tq after a stage 2 tune with cam software. with a 1.8t, exhaust, intake, and chip, you can make 250hp and more in tq. the BT statement is so irrelevant because once you are spending like 10 grand on a build, price isnt exactly an issue. that being said, if you really want a ton of power, a fwd car is not the way to go. you need an awd r32 or do a tranny swap. but honestly, come on. just do some simple pricing. i spent 6 grand on rebuilding my motor (most of this was maintenance cause the previous owner killed her) but i gained like 30 hpish and 40 tqish. you can spend like 2 grand on a 1.8t and gain 50hp and 50tq. not exactly a contest.

all this being said, im a fan of both motors. not many cars on the market that can handle 500+ hp without blowing up (aka hondas :p )

#77 ·
well i have driven both the 1.8t and the vr6 but in my personal favorite is the 2.0 slow with a supercharger buts that just me but if i had to chose i would say the 1.8t because the all wheel drive system in the vr6 is flawed now that is the type i have driven.

#81 ·
3.2l 24v VR6 AWD with 230 hp. Only problem is its in an R32. I've never argued the fact that the 1.8t is cheaper to mod, but with deep pockets the vr6 can easily surpass the 1.8t. Vr's are also nice for those that want power without doing engine mods, which was my intention at first.

#83 ·
3.2l 24v VR6 AWD with 230 hp. Only problem is its in an R32. I've never argued the fact that the 1.8t is cheaper to mod, but with deep pockets the vr6 can easily surpass the 1.8t. Vr's are also nice for those that want power without doing engine nods, which was my intention at first.
If by ''surpass'' you mean on paper, then yes. You still have the same FWD as the 1.8T. 400wtq on any FWD Volkswagen is just dumb unless its a track car with slicks and a $5000 suspension.

"If the VR's came RWD or AWD, this would be an entirely different story."

How about we generalize this : if the 2.0 1.8t and all variations of the vr6 motors came rwd or awd these cars would be 10 times the fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True statement

#85 ·
Like I said, useless unless you like highway pulls and some people do lol. Or burnouts... I guess if you like burnouts, 500whp on fwd is perfect. And thanks for the link!

#86 ·
Well I do like me a good burnout every now and then, but I do a lot of highway pulls and I have an addiction to speed.
Anyways BT is just to hold me over till I can get my r36 motor and bora 4motion drivetrain :) Not gonna tell you the full plan for that, but I will tell you that my goal is 1500hp and it will be daily driven XD First Getta to do a standing 4wheel burnout

So on topic again. 2.0<vr6<1.8t<VRT< My dream R36

Game Over
/thread

#87 ·
To me if your looking for any kind of real power (300+ whp) Vr is the way to go. Its cheaper and more reliable. Stock vr motor with just a headgasket spacer has proven time and time again to hold up with 400+ whp, where as anything around 350 or more on a 1.8t you need to start lookin and upgrading rods, and anything over 400 your looking at some major engine building, which is going to cost a lot more than buying a tuned and ready to go out of the box kit for a vr from kinetic or somewhere like that, or build a kit yourself if you have the knowhow.

#88 ·
That is not true... I will give you that at 300 whp your lookin at rods for the 1.8t, but after you do just rods your good to like 750hp i believe it is before you have to do pistons. If you wanna make 400+hp on a VR you maybe able to get away without rods and just a head spacer, but you are still gonna have to replace the plastic intake mani.
The thing is if you wanna make a high horsepower reliable car you are gonna need to do more then what I just said, but I'm just proving my point that its not all the much extra work.

#92 ·
Again, you keep talking out your ass. Even with just rods your not gettin 750hp. First pass you make on the track your done for. But you made that kind of power before, so you know that already.

I like how people like you want to argue about things you think you know because you read it on a website, and try to tell people like my friends that actually done it that its wrong or you cant do this or that. This thread was a pretty clean and friendly debate until you decided you think you knew what your talking about.

#93 ·
Play nice now, sarcasm was a crafty tool in highschool. No longer the case. This is an information purposes thread, so substitute your finger pointing with links of said vehicles =)

#94 ·
Seriously dude stfu...
How many times do I have to say it can be done, but it is not gonna be reliable? It is completely possible to make that much power with just rods, but you are right its not gonna last long and I've already said that multiple times now.

And you do realize that I have been in this debate since page 1 and I have been friendly until you decided to start challenging everything I say.
I'm done fighting with you in public threads. If you have an issue with me then pm me.

#95 ·
re readthe thread its you who challenged me not the other way around, and now your back peddling. Whats the point of saying you can get 750hp with just rods done and then admitt after I make a comment that it will blow the rings if not more the first pass you make? If it blows up right away than Id say it cant really handle the power. Thats the end of it and we can leave it at that.

#100 ·
vr6 neuspeed intake magnaflow exhaust <3 and this is a downgrade for me so im dancing around about gas mileage my camaro was getting 10 when i was babying it this is stickshift and it gets me almost 20 mpg yeah im happy =] just broke my serpentine belt though gonna ask my boss if we can build me a street strip vr6 seeing as i work at a machine shop and a drag strip >.> broke as **** with all the connections in the world *sigh* anyway my freind has a 1.8t and i have the vr6 and i feel if i had as much money into my engine as he has into his mine could run with his 1.8 but then again im taking it to the well i can get this and that done cheaper so =/ i guess 1.8 is the cheaper way to go and 750 wheel horspower from a 4 banger? yeah ok ive seen it one time in a dragster never in a door car thankyou come again thats just unrealistic numbers imo there but theres no dyno on the starting line so they may exist just i see them getting thrashed by a sbc with enough spray anywho back on topic both are awesome engines but a 4-3 downshift at like 60 mph to pass 3 cars with an exhaust and intake = sex =D first real post from me but i may just put my camaro back on the road and build me a jetta... time shall see =P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.