VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: 1.8T vs. VR6 |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.8T vs. VR6

G&M Performance canucme3 is on a distinguished road canucme3's Avatar

Default Re: 1.8T vs. VR6

Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    True, but timing chains last twice as long a timing belts.
    I've done both and I would much rather do two timing belts then 1 timing chain
    .:G&M Performance:. MBC for sale Facebook
    Why do that when you could S my D?

I prefer the VR, could be cause i have a vrt, but still....

I dont quite understand why everyone is talking about being able to get more hp out of the 1.8t cheaper.... exhaust and comparable mods equal the same sort of gains i believe in the 1.8t vs the vr... granted you can turn up the boost on a 1.8 with a chip, but the aggressive tuning for the na vr's is nice too....

also i prefer the sound of the vr over the 1.8t, granted a very happy spooling turbo is always nice...

so in the end vr over 1.8 for sound, and the ability to do a vrt

Quote Originally Posted by kneedraggin101 View Post
    I dont quite understand why everyone is talking about being able to get more hp out of the 1.8t cheaper.... exhaust and comparable mods equal the same sort of gains i believe in the 1.8t vs the vr... granted you can turn up the boost on a 1.8 with a chip, but the aggressive tuning for the na vr's is nice too....
    I don't understand how you think its cheaper to get more hp out of a VR6 then a 1.8t... A 1.8t with just a chip will make more power then a VR6 with a tune, exhaust, and intake. Unless you go forced induction or do a serious motor build your not gonna make as much power does.

well lets look at it from the other end of the scale, large builds, big turbo 1.8t or big turbo vr6....

both kits cost around the same $ figure, and which car makes more power?

so its all about perspective and how you want to look at it.....

and a giac x chip will bring a 1.8t to about 225hp, a full c2 tune on na vr6 is about 216 or so..

in the end dollar for dollar, you can get more out of a vr

Yea I'm not saying that a VR6 doesn't have more potential. If you can do the full build and turbo it then your gonna make more power. Put 1.8t's can still get pretty high up there in the HP numbers. You also have to remember that these are FWD cars so at a certain point it doesn't matter how much power your car makes cause it won't be able to put it down and both motors have the ability to reach that point.

The numbers for those chips are assuming your car is completely stock (I know for sure about GIAC, but idk about C2). That still puts the 1.8t out in front. Throw on a the bolt-ons for each and the 1.8t runs walks away from a VR6.

i dont believe so, but i guess we all have our opinions.... and im basing this off a 01 glx vr6 vs a 1.8t my buddies did a highway pull and only basic bolt ons/tunes on both cars, and there was no clear winner....

on another note... these boost controllers you have, pm me with info on one pls

Okay well if you look at the numbers thats how it works out. I have a 1.8t with all the bolt-ons and I walked away from a VR6 with a tune and bolt-ons.

Junior Member frostedFL4KES is on a distinguished road frostedFL4KES's Avatar

the VR6 = SEX!

Euro Snob Vixen is on a distinguished road Vixen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frostedFL4KES View Post
    the VR6 = SEX!
    I like this guy.
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6

lets upgrade that a lil bit....

a cam'd vrt = sex

Junior Member frostedFL4KES is on a distinguished road frostedFL4KES's Avatar

Nice more sex haha

GLI-VR6 vwguymi is on a distinguished road vwguymi's Avatar

VR6 - Why? Simply because I own one, and its a f*cking hot rod.

Jerry

GLI-VR6 vwguymi is on a distinguished road vwguymi's Avatar

True, but timing chains last twice as long a timing belts.
    Soo true

Member - VR6 Crew gforce211 is on a distinguished road gforce211's Avatar

In my quest for my MKIV I test drove both (not necessarily gingerly either), both engines were connected to a auto tranny, (VR was a 12v) and I have to say what won me over was the instant-on torque of the VR. Don't get me wrong, I loved the kick of the turbo but in the end I subscribed to the phrase; "There's no replacement for displacement", and the VR = SEX debate doesn't apply to me, been married for 22 yrs now, wife could have cared less which one I bought!
    2000 GLX/VR6

Quote Originally Posted by gforce211 View Post
    I loved the kick of the turbo but in the end I subscribed to the phrase; "There's no replacement for displacement"
    That kick of the turbo is so much better and more powerful then the instant torque of the VR.
    btw There is no replacement for displacement except boost XD
    anyways VR6's sound like sex, but

^best sweatshirt i've ever owned

2000 Jetta GLX mtglading is on a distinguished road mtglading's Avatar

about the earlier battle about the vr6 and 1.8t being the same price for more power. thats complete BS! haha. i own a vr6. i have 262 cams, lightened flywheel, light weight pulleys, full exhaust, and intake. i rebuilt the motor, and im maybe at like 210hp 220 tq after a stage 2 tune with cam software. with a 1.8t, exhaust, intake, and chip, you can make 250hp and more in tq. the BT statement is so irrelevant because once you are spending like 10 grand on a build, price isnt exactly an issue. that being said, if you really want a ton of power, a fwd car is not the way to go. you need an awd r32 or do a tranny swap. but honestly, come on. just do some simple pricing. i spent 6 grand on rebuilding my motor (most of this was maintenance cause the previous owner killed her) but i gained like 30 hpish and 40 tqish. you can spend like 2 grand on a 1.8t and gain 50hp and 50tq. not exactly a contest.

all this being said, im a fan of both motors. not many cars on the market that can handle 500+ hp without blowing up (aka hondas :P )
    http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/show...1.html?p=59477

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDweller View Post
    Well if you didnt have a damn baby on your wheels maybe i could tell what they are! lol

Junior Member armyjetta is on a distinguished road armyjetta's Avatar
    I will Be living and Stationed in Fort Eustis VA
    Blog Entries

well i have driven both the 1.8t and the vr6 but in my personal favorite is the 2.0 slow with a supercharger buts that just me but if i had to chose i would say the 1.8t because the all wheel drive system in the vr6 is flawed now that is the type i have driven.
    "Forget Ricers, German Performance is where its at."

I personally have a 2001 vr6. my friend and i straight piped it and it sounds horrid. he has an '08 mustang and i put my muffler back on and am soon to do the same with the resonator. just doesn't sounds very good to other straight piped cars

Quote Originally Posted by lazyswimmer View Post
    I personally have a 2001 vr6. my friend and i straight piped it and it sounds horrid. he has an '08 mustang and i put my muffler back on and am soon to do the same with the resonator. just doesn't sounds very good to other straight piped cars
    Its a 6 cylinder. Straight pipes are for V8's IMO.
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6

Quote Originally Posted by canucme3 View Post
    That kick of the turbo is so much better and more powerful then the instant torque of the VR.
    btw There is no replacement for displacement except boost XD
    anyways VR6's sound like sex, but

^best sweatshirt i've ever owned

Oh my, where did you get this exceptional piece of artwork? I must have one! lol

I'm surprised I didn't see this thread before. Let me make it easy.

I put $1400 in performance parts into my 1.8T, which includes a 3'' mandrel bent turboback exhaust (magnaflow cat/muffler), turbo inlet pipe, APR stage 2 tune, and some custom timing work through V-Tune/Lemmiwinks (both free downloadable programs). I make ~235whp, ~275wtq. And thats being generous. I also get 33 miles per gallon on winter blend fuel, and 35 on summer blend. And that's not with me being nice on the ol' girl. And that's not highway mileage, it's average city/highway. With contental tires all around, I lose traction in first and second gear, third and fourth if its wet out. So the need for a BT setup is not there, at all, unless you like getting 100+mph speeding tickets... Because the only thing you ever need a BT setup for is highway pulls. Peak torque output on a 1.8T is at 1800RPM's... That's pretty much diesel territory. Unless I were going to bore the cylinders to make more horsepower and leave added torque on the backburner, the FWD setup can't handle it for buzzing around town. And dont' be mistaken, although the tiny turbo struggles at highway speeds, my passing gear is 6th, sometimes 5th if I'm multi-passing lol.

So what do you get with your VR for $1400? A cam, tune, intake, exhaust, maybe some cooling gaskets... And you make low 200's with what kind of MPG?

I love both motors... Both have won awards, both are strong, and they both sound nasty with exhausts. I'll even give it to the VR for sounding even more snarly... But when it comes down to it, the 1.8T is a better value for performance and economy. If the VR's came RWD or AWD, this would be an entirely different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by darksidedub View Post
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    I will fight you.

3.2l 24v VR6 AWD with 230 hp. Only problem is its in an R32. I've never argued the fact that the 1.8t is cheaper to mod, but with deep pockets the vr6 can easily surpass the 1.8t. Vr's are also nice for those that want power without doing engine mods, which was my intention at first.
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6

Member bwomp969 is on a distinguished road bwomp969's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
    Oh my, where did you get this exceptional piece of artwork? I must have one! lol

I'm surprised I didn't see this thread before. Let me make it easy.

I put $1400 in performance parts into my 1.8T, which includes a 3'' mandrel bent turboback exhaust (magnaflow cat/muffler), turbo inlet pipe, APR stage 2 tune, and some custom timing work through V-Tune/Lemmiwinks (both free downloadable programs). I make ~235whp, ~275wtq. And thats being generous. I also get 33 miles per gallon on winter blend fuel, and 35 on summer blend. And that's not with me being nice on the ol' girl. And that's not highway mileage, it's average city/highway. With contental tires all around, I lose traction in first and second gear, third and fourth if its wet out. So the need for a BT setup is not there, at all, unless you like getting 100+mph speeding tickets... Because the only thing you ever need a BT setup for is highway pulls. Peak torque output on a 1.8T is at 1800RPM's... That's pretty much diesel territory. Unless I were going to bore the cylinders to make more horsepower and leave added torque on the backburner, the FWD setup can't handle it for buzzing around town. And dont' be mistaken, although the tiny turbo struggles at highway speeds, my passing gear is 6th, sometimes 5th if I'm multi-passing lol.

So what do you get with your VR for $1400? A cam, tune, intake, exhaust, maybe some cooling gaskets... And you make low 200's with what kind of MPG?

I love both motors... Both have won awards, both are strong, and they both sound nasty with exhausts. I'll even give it to the VR for sounding even more snarly... But when it comes down to it, the 1.8T is a better value for performance and economy. If the VR's came RWD or AWD, this would be an entirely different story.
    "If the VR's came RWD or AWD, this would be an entirely different story."

How about we generalize this : if the 2.0 1.8t and all variations of the vr6 motors came rwd or awd these cars would be 10 times the fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3.2l 24v VR6 AWD with 230 hp. Only problem is its in an R32. I've never argued the fact that the 1.8t is cheaper to mod, but with deep pockets the vr6 can easily surpass the 1.8t. Vr's are also nice for those that want power without doing engine nods, which was my intention at first.
    If by ''surpass'' you mean on paper, then yes. You still have the same FWD as the 1.8T. 400wtq on any FWD Volkswagen is just dumb unless its a track car with slicks and a $5000 suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by bwomp969 View Post
    "If the VR's came RWD or AWD, this would be an entirely different story."

How about we generalize this : if the 2.0 1.8t and all variations of the vr6 motors came rwd or awd these cars would be 10 times the fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True statement
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    I will fight you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
    If by ''surpass'' you mean on paper, then yes. You still have the same FWD as the 1.8T. 400wtq on any FWD Volkswagen is just dumb unless its a track car with slicks and a $5000 suspension.
    lol that I guess my car is gonna be dumb next year. I'm building mine to around 500 whp and probably around 450wtq on a $400 suspension and bald all-seasons XD.

To settle this all both motors can make more then enough power to make them inoperable as fwd cars. Overall 1.8t can make more power cheaper then a VR6 and no matter what a 1.8t will give you decent gas mileage at the same time.

btw Chris I got that sweatshirt and couple shirts from here.

Like I said, useless unless you like highway pulls and some people do lol. Or burnouts... I guess if you like burnouts, 500whp on fwd is perfect. And thanks for the link!
    I will fight you.

Well I do like me a good burnout every now and then, but I do a lot of highway pulls and I have an addiction to speed.
    Anyways BT is just to hold me over till I can get my r36 motor and bora 4motion drivetrain Not gonna tell you the full plan for that, but I will tell you that my goal is 1500hp and it will be daily driven XD First Getta to do a standing 4wheel burnout

So on topic again. 2.0<vr6<1.8t<VRT< My dream R36

Game Over
    /thread

Jetta Junkie Moderator pow3r hour has disabled reputation pow3r hour's Avatar

To me if your looking for any kind of real power (300+ whp) Vr is the way to go. Its cheaper and more reliable. Stock vr motor with just a headgasket spacer has proven time and time again to hold up with 400+ whp, where as anything around 350 or more on a 1.8t you need to start lookin and upgrading rods, and anything over 400 your looking at some major engine building, which is going to cost a lot more than buying a tuned and ready to go out of the box kit for a vr from kinetic or somewhere like that, or build a kit yourself if you have the knowhow.

That is not true... I will give you that at 300 whp your lookin at rods for the 1.8t, but after you do just rods your good to like 750hp i believe it is before you have to do pistons. If you wanna make 400+hp on a VR you maybe able to get away without rods and just a head spacer, but you are still gonna have to replace the plastic intake mani.
    The thing is if you wanna make a high horsepower reliable car you are gonna need to do more then what I just said, but I'm just proving my point that its not all the much extra work.

Jetta Junkie Moderator pow3r hour has disabled reputation pow3r hour's Avatar

Wow 750 hp hun on stock internals Actually my info is correct. How about you email apr and see what they tell ya?? As for the plastic mani I hate mkIV's so I dont have to worry about that. MKIII is aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by pow3r hour View Post
    Wow 750 hp hun on stock internals Actually my info is correct. How about you email apr and see what they tell ya?? As for the plastic mani I hate mkIV's so I dont have to worry about that. MKIII is aluminum.
    Hate is such a strong word

Lol
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast