VW Jetta: Question: 2.0 Turbo kit?|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question: 2.0 Turbo kit?

Junior Member SoCalTC125 is on a distinguished road SoCalTC125's Avatar

Default Question: 2.0 Turbo kit?

So i found a turbo kit for my 2004 Jetta 2.0.. Im wondering if it would be worth it or not. My original plan was to drop a whole new powertrain into the car so I could convert it to manual.. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Euro Snob Vixen is on a distinguished road Vixen's Avatar

Default Re: Question: 2.0 Turbo kit?

Not really worth it in my opinion. I think the most you can get out of a FI 2.0 is like 250hp, I think. But that is all new internals and everything, very spendy. You could spend just as much dropping in either a VR6 or 1.8T and modding it mildy and make more. Swapping in a 12v and doing a stage 1 turbo kit you'd be making 250+. Swapping in a 24v and putting a stage 1 turbo kit would be a bit more than that.

Basically the 2.0 is a waste unless you're in it for cosmetic mods and reliability. I wouldn't waste the cash on a turbo and power train swap.
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6 | sLoww MK4 VR6 RIP | MK6 2.5 SEL

rollin deep bikerkid9069 is on a distinguished road bikerkid9069's Avatar

vixen is right. very reliable engine and parts for it a real cheap compared to the other motors, but its the slowest. And because it only has 8 valves a turbo can only do so much unless you start getting into alot of machine work and all that... in which case you'd just be better off gettin a 24V and turboing it with the same amount of money to make much more hp...

if you have to ask the question is it really worth it or not then you have not done enough research.
    sick of seeing corvette rims on mk4's

5. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member SoCalTC125 is on a distinguished road SoCalTC125's Avatar

Thanks for the help! I only ask cause as far as research on turbos and such I wouldnt even know where to start.

Junior Member iflylikeaneagle is on a distinguished road iflylikeaneagle's Avatar

so does a 12v turbo head bolt direct to a 2.0L normally 8v block?

Quote Originally Posted by iflylikeaneagle View Post
    so does a 12v turbo head bolt direct to a 2.0L normally 8v block?
    NO....... 12v is for the VR6 which has 6 cylinders, 8 valve is for the 2.0L which has 4 cylinders. and the vr6 never came turbo.
    ~Gabriel

//SRI//Heat-Shield//Ported&Polished Head//TT 268*//TT Chip//2.25"Magnaflow//Polished steellies//Raceland Springs//

Junior Member iflylikeaneagle is on a distinguished road iflylikeaneagle's Avatar

i ment the 1.8t head...i think its a 20v? will that fit on a 2.0L block? the car is an 2001

JettaJunkie Infant..lol SC2.0 is on a distinguished road SC2.0's Avatar

if you had an older car, mkiii or mkii, you be able to swap your 8v head with a 2.0L 16v head....i think
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ApexerVR6 Hidden Content
    Smack a midget. yeah, I said it.

G&M Performance canucme3 is on a distinguished road canucme3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SC2.0 View Post
    if you had an older car, mkiii or mkii, you be able to swap your 8v head with a 2.0L 16v head....i think
    I believe your right. It'll take the some work, but since vw has never changed the 2.0 block (although way from 8v to the 2.0t) only internals, the heads should match up.
    And as I typed that I just got the idea of possible swapping on a 2.0t head, but again idk if that would work.
    Hidden Content .:G&M Performance:. MBC for sale Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Vixen Hidden Content
    Why do that when you could S my D?

yes, you can put the 20v head on a aba block. its a big project though.

i have also been playing with the idea in my head of puting the mk3 TDI head on the aba block to make a 2l tdi, because they are the same thing just machined a tad diffidently. but that would require a ton of work/moding.
    ~Gabriel

//SRI//Heat-Shield//Ported&Polished Head//TT 268*//TT Chip//2.25"Magnaflow//Polished steellies//Raceland Springs//

Senior citizen member groundupjetta is on a distinguished road groundupjetta's Avatar

You can put a 20v head or a 16v head on your bottom end but if you go trough this trouble it will cost more then a complete engine swap either vr6 or 1.8t

2.0 turbos are fun and can be reliable if kept on low boost (but who can resist...)

If you dont know where to start or much about turbos I recommend you get a turbo kit with everything needed to get your car running the first time with tried and proven results

Jetta Junkie Moderator pow3r hour has disabled reputation pow3r hour's Avatar

First off it sounds like you have an automatic. If thats the case I wouldnt do too much power wise, as they arent built to handle the power. A turbo 2.0 can be lots of fun though and pretty safe. The 2.0 can handle more power than most people think, and there is a guy in Virginia that broke 350whp with his 2.0.

+ Reply to Thread