VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Low MPG problems for 03 jetta |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low MPG problems for 03 jetta

Default Low MPG problems for 03 jetta

I have a 2003 VW Jetta GL 2.0 Liters, and i've been experinceing very low MPG. On a full tank of gas the MGP should atleast be 22-24 MPG or around (310 miles). Well i've only been avergaing 14-15 MGP or around 200 miles. Thats very low compared to what was average by VW. Also, its very frusrating because your paying for this gas and its not paying off for you. At first i thought it could be the oil but i changed that a week ago and im stilling having the problem. I've been having this problem for about 2 months. I know nothing about cars so i don't know what to do. Can someone hlep me. Thanks.

Senior Member Sosculero is on a distinguished road Sosculero's Avatar

Default Re: Low MPG problems for 03 jetta

the cold weather blend burns faster and to keep your 2.0 running good and you getting every mile per gallon....you need to be on top of your engine like every 20k miles spark plugs and wires....dont over rev your engine.....clean air filter...seafoam your engine to clean it..like there is a lot of crap you have to take care of to even reach your desired MPG

Keep'em Hammered onavianva is on a distinguished road onavianva's Avatar

i get 250 miles per tank in winter time

Senior Member lifelikechild is on a distinguished road lifelikechild's Avatar

That's a sizable drop. Maybe O2 sensor on it's way out?

Quote Originally Posted by Sosculero View Post
    the cold weather blend burns faster and to keep your 2.0 running good and you getting every mile per gallon....you need to be on top of your engine like every 20k miles spark plugs and wires....dont over rev your engine.....clean air filter...seafoam your engine to clean it..like there is a lot of crap you have to take care of to even reach your desired MPG
    Agreed on winter blend fuel, spark plugs and other maintenance... But RPM's don't have anything to do with fuel consumption. Difference in mileage (assuming maintenance is up to date) is load-based. Infact cruising at higher RPM's (2300-3000) and getting up to speed quickly, then maintaining will yield the best MPG numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by darksidedub View Post
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    I will fight you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
    Agreed on winter blend fuel, spark plugs and other maintenance... But RPM's don't have anything to do with fuel consumption. Difference in mileage (assuming maintenance is up to date) is load-based. Infact cruising at higher RPM's (2300-3000) and getting up to speed quickly, then maintaining will yield the best MPG numbers.
    It's been the same in the summer though. But i was getting 20mpg in the summer. Still kinda low. I will change the spark plugs to see if that helps. Btw do you know how to get to it. Also, what's the O2 sensor, and where is it located. Thanks for the help

o2 sensor = oxygen sensor. Located in the exhaust stream... Pre-cat (bank one sensor 1) is the only o2 sensor that influences fuel mapping. However you'll have a code stored on your ECU if that's at fault.

As far as spark plugs, I can't be 100% because I don't own a 2.0L but I believe you have to take the intake manifold off? Someone else here can confirm though.

Whats most important with spark plugs is that you get the correct type, and when you get them, to gap them correctly. To gap plugs, you'll want to have a feeler gauge. Pretty cheap, ~$10 or so... And cheaper copper bosch plugs should be great, no need for iridium, platnum, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by darksidedub View Post
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    I will fight you.

lowness and dopeness Marc1987 is on a distinguished road Marc1987's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You don't have to take the manifold off but it makes it much easier if you do. Also I use the triple tip bosche sparkplugs for some reason the regular ones were causing my car to Mis fire and I also have the 2.0
    2000 jetta 2.0//all show no go//owned.

Quote Originally Posted by I4N View Post
    ear sex
    RIP: 1995 black mk3
    build thread

Thanks for the help guys. Any other ideas??.

Senior Member Sosculero is on a distinguished road Sosculero's Avatar

taking off the intake manifold is the easiest way to do the spark plugs....just kinda hard to get the bolts on the inner side of the manifold hehe....yup i own a 2.0

+ Reply to Thread