Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2011 Jetta SE Aftermarket double din GPS

25K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jtmerrellbc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Y'all

We are new to VW, and purchased a jetta and we are very please with this. We have the stock radio in it and I want to upgrade it to a indash gps. Crutchfield has not researched the car yet so it doesnt show what fits. However I was wondering if the radio is the same as the 2010 jetta or atleast the opening. We want to put in the JVC KW-NT3HDT, it says it fits the 2010 jetta. My question is do you think this would also fit in the 2011?

Great site y'all have here:) Glad I found it.

here is the link to the unit

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105NT3HDT/JVC-KW-NT3HDT.html

#3 ·
I saw these as well when searching on eBay, after reading some feedback from people who bought them they apparently are at least decent enough to warrant positive feedback, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually bought one and used it before making my decision.

They seem to range in price from $295-$600, and all seem to do the same thing, just have different layouts and operating software. They all have Navi/Bluetooth/DVD/SD, etc., seems like some come with what is needed to retain steering wheel controls, but others require you to buy an extra part for it.

#12 ·
Hey just wanted to say your JVC looks so slick! Id like to get an after market stereo/navi into my new 2011 jetta tdi highline but im worried about the after market stereo. will the dealership have problems scanning the car computer if it needs a diagnostics scan? or did someone professionally install it and did they do something special so it will work with a diagnostics scan?

#10 ·
Hey Just wondering I just bought a 2011 Jetta SE and was wondering does that Kenwood or the JVC or both I guess also have a button for sat radio or how does that work out because with the Stock SE radio it has a button for the Sat and I bought a year of subscription so how does that work?

Also I like how on the stock radio when you turn on the vehicle it says welcome to Volkswagen small feature not big deal at all just thought it was cool how do these to radios start up and are the nicer than the stock one or very similar with functionality and quality?

#11 ·
My Kenwood needs a Satellite Radio adapter to work but you can buy them with that built in from factory. I'm not a big fan since I just stream Pandora from my Iphone for free. My Kenwood lets you put a startup Image of your choice if you look at the picture I posted in my previous post it actually has the VW Logo and it says loading when you turn on the radio.

These Radios do look nice but they also sounds twice as good as stock radios.
Video inputs for backup cameras, Ipods, Iphones are a plus as well. They have amp outputs to run sub woofers and components speakers which makes it nice If you ever want to upgrade your sound system even more.

I actually thought the factory radio sounded pretty good but I needed a little more. My SE did not come with the Ipod/Iphone control so I used it as an excuse to put in a double din.

#13 ·
I installed the radio myself and I didn't have any issues. Make sure you get the dash kit and the right harness for the car. They are kinda expensive, I paid around $80.00 for mine. As far as the install goes it's pretty easy, there is a plastic mold that goes around the factory radio that is just held in place with clips so you have to carefully pull it out. Once you get that loose its still going to be held on by the harness that hooks up to the air bag light. Here is where you have to me carefull because if you take that clip off you cannot turn on the car until you put that back on because your check engine light will turn on and your going to have to take it back to the dealer to have that code cleared. You can actually do the install without taking it of if your careful. The rest is just like any other radio install. The screws for the radio are star threads but I can't remember the size. Good luck with your install!

#14 ·
awesome! so as long as i get the right harness it should still be able to be scanned for any engine problems? thats my biggest concern and ive been having a hard time finding out that answer. did you do any after markets speakers, sub and amp? or did you keep the stock stereo and just upgrade the deck? also did it affect the bluetooth hands free? or does your kenwood deck do the bluetooth now?

#15 ·
My buddy is a cool guy and works for VW here in Chattanooga. He was a computer science major and works specifically on the VW GPS stuff. He said he did not think simply plugging in a VW GPS radio (Jetta SEL) into a Jetta that did not come with one (Jetta SE) that it would would work without reprogramming. I have the SE, and I am interested in having the in-dash too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.