Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Need some ideas for cool mods and upgrades.

13K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  seppdelaney 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0. I just got it and really, it is the first car that I have owned that I would like to make nice. :) I have taken off the stock air filter system and just put a cone filter onto the MAS tube. I am looking to add a little speed to it and also make the car look nice. I am in need of ideas and where to possibly purchase them. I would like to change the headlights and other exterior things, but would really like to add some speed first. Thanks!!

Also, is this even worth upgrading or should I wait until I get a different car? I really don't know if I will be getting a different one any time soon.

#9 ·
The car has some punch.. I installed a cold air intake and has subs which when they hit, the car pushes up a bit (haha I wish!) but my friend is all saying "put racing plugs in it!" and I really don't see how that will change. Im cool to spend money on this car. I really like it and want it to look cool and have some power. A turbos like 1k right?

#11 ·
Let me know where you can find an aftermarket turbo for 1k. Lol. The turbo will be expensive because you'll need more than just the turbo. You'll need a kit. And an intercooler. And an ecu flash. If I were you, I'd keep the thing naturally aspirated, upgrade the intake and exhaust, get the ecu chipped, and look at some headers. Then I'd move to a full engine bore and racing cams. High pressure fuel injector and another ecu flash would be next. You're looking at spending a s--- ton of money if you're really going to build it for power. It might be better to sell the car and get something to build on... It'll be cheaper, and if you do all the above, you'll see a lot more in gains... The amount we're talking about here, to build for serious power... you could probably pick up an Audi S-. If you want power, I'd start with something that already has a turbo... 2.0 T or 1.8 T. The other option is to slam the car, tint the windows, build a great system, get some new wheels and keep the car shiney.

#12 ·
RACING plugs yo fo realz do eeet.

/troll

Seriously. If you war worried about power in a 2.0... Well, you shouldn't be haha. It's a 2.0, built for MPG's, not HP. Anyways, take the subs out, that will save you some weight atleast, and probably hearing aides in a couple years ;)

#13 ·
HAHAHA True dat! I don't use the subs too often, but the added boom on low power is nice. I don't think I will be able to sell it or trade it right now because I just bought it a month and a half ago. I have already tinted the tail lights and painted the rims. It is really my first car and I think I may just keep it nice looking but do some of the Natural Aspiration things such as exhaust and such. My friend is a bit of a dummy.... He still claims that racing plugs will help a ton. I really doubt this because if it did help, everyone would do it. lol! I guess my best bet is to just keep saving money for a new car until this one dies. That way, I can upgrade significantly and have an awesome VW. :) But I think I will do the minor upgrades here and there like the chip and exhaust. Thanks for your input guys! I'll make sure to let my friend know that putting racing plugs into a lawnmower will allow him to mow the rain forest's in a day. ;)

#14 ·
I wouldn't worry about speed at all in a 2.slow. Before chipping it, get some low. Slam it. Pick up some nice rims and some spacers. Maybe look into bagging the suspension (air ride), since you're not going to be dropping a ton of money into the power mods. Make it look phat.
And I'd keep the subs, unless they're crap. And when using the subs, keep the gain on the amps down enough that you don't cause rattle and annoy other drivers. I have a single Polk audio 12 with a 500 watt alpine amp. It sounds good. Not annoying, not loud. Good. There is a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.