Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1990 jetta starting

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Jettajustin12 
#1 ·
Hi all the starter died in my 92 diesel so I found another jetta. She's a 1990 vw jetta 1.8 gas jobbie on an automatic for 800 bucks she's in great shape but having issues with the heater core I smell antifreeze with the heat on. Thinking of trying atop leak in the radiator and it doesn't have air conditioning so two vbelts on it. Alt belt is nice and tight but the other one is nice and loose and squeals from the power steering pump when I turn the wheel. Was wondering how to tighten it. Also seems that after a 20 minute or longer drive I shut it off and no starter not even a click until she cools down. Can start it if I connect my 10 amp battery charger. Quick drives I can shut it off and start her again like normal. I did clean the battery posts. Any ideas how I can fix this? And I got no brake lights. Fuse is good but was wordering if I can rob the brake light switch off my 92 diesel 5 speed? I'd love any input on these minor issues. Thanks in advance. EDIT sorry forgot one thing. When shes idling it likes to run hot but temp guage while driving is normal. What can this be? Electric fan does not come on at idle anyways. Also same problem on my 92 diesel as well. With the diesel after she overheats and coolant boils over the fan comes on.

#2 ·
your coolant problems could be stuck thermostat maybe. if i was you i would get a bentley manual for it to help you fix all your issues, thats alot of issues for me to tell you possibilities of what could be causing them.

#3 ·
Got all the problems fixed with the jetta EXCEPT the starting issue, thanks to the Hayes manual I bought. Short distances no problem you can shut it off and it fires right up. I communte 50KM one way, 50KM back home. After shutting it off, the car still will not start until cooled down. Anywhere in the area of 15min to 2 hours before it will go again. Or if some kind person will connect a set of booster cables, it will start, or if I am parked next to a plugin I carry around my 10 amp motomaster battery charger around in the trunk and connect that to the battery it will start. All that happens is I turn the key on, hear the chime, idiot lights come on, and fuel pump. When I turn the key to start of course no starter, not even a click just hear the fuel pump going. I did buy a brand new battery for the car, took the battery out of my 95 ford pickup, and used the battery in my dead 92 jetta diesel, still the same no matter what. I herd something about the starter being too close to the exaust system and it gets too hot, is that a possibility? If so is there some sort of relay I can install to fix the problem?

#5 ·
my jetta does the same thing every so often. i found out that my alternator wasnt turning when it was supposed to so i just ran it to something that turns on when the car is on.

my shits ghetto but it works lol. i drove 5 hours today with no problems.

#6 ·
My alt is turning fine, Replaced the V-Belts about 3 weeks ago, as they were rough shape and I thought that was possibly the problem. I got another alternator to try in it if it will fit. The alternator in my 92 Diesel. Pulley looks like its different though as the vbelt on that car is alot skinnier for the alternator then the one thats in there now. First going to put it on jack stands and look closely at the wiring and grounds. After hours of googling, I've also read something about the starter is too close to the exaust system and gets too hot?? Anyone herd of this? Some sort of heat sensor, or bad relay? If so what relay would it be, as I got a parts car sitting right beside it, the diesel. Robbed a few odds and ends off it like the heater controls, brake light switch, etc.

#7 ·
my bad, i ment to say it wasnt turning on. like the alternator needs to be told to start charging and it wasnt being told to turn on.

also i have a 1.8 8v and the exhaust is in the back, starter was in the front. last time i check the exhaust was on the back and starter was on the front of diesel motors too.

#9 ·
Stuck in Edmonton damn thing won't start. Can I take the alternator out of my 92 vw jetta? It's a diesel with 3 belt system and put in the 90 with the 1.8 ? Battery doesn't seem dead. With the key on all lights are bright and heater fan blows pretty good. When the car starts battery light is on but a quick tap on the gas and she goes out.

#10 ·
if u do end up swaping out the alternators you should be able to switch the pulleys around on the alternators so that way the car still has the same pulley on the alternator as before.(if that makes sense)
you might want to try and find a shop that rebuilds alternators too before you go out and spend on a new one. i had one rebuilt awhile back for a different car and it wasn't very expensive at all

#11 ·
Bought a new battery yesterday. Same thing happens she's dead. All grounds appear to be ok. I'm going to take this battery back after work just a cheapie from walmart. I can't get the pullies off the alternators. I'm out of ideas close to putting both my mk2 jettas up for sale

#12 ·
You need to take a good long look at the fuse box for burned fuse slot clips ,you need to check relays, and your coil output. When a fuse box dies and they do....replacing it makes many issues disappear , alternator may be the issue, but most bosch units are bullet proof and require brush clip replacements or cleaning( that's the small plastic unit mounted on the alt case) your grounds may look clean but road grime and oxidation could be the issue, clean completely and sand the contact surfaces of the neg batt ground wire and eyelet tips, my strap is a 25 yr old oem and works perfectly. Patience is the key.....

#13 ·
You need to take a good long look at the fuse box for burned fuse slot clips ,you need to check relays, and your coil output. When a fuse box dies and they do....replacing it makes many issues disappear , alternator may be the issue, but most bosch units are bullet proof and require brush clip replacements or cleaning( that's the small plastic unit mounted on the alt case) your grounds may look clean but road grime and oxidation could be the issue, clean completely and sand the contact surfaces of the neg batt ground wire and eyelet tips, my strap is a 25 yr old oem and works perfectly. Patience is the key.....

I disconnected EVERY Ground under the hood that I could find. Cleaned em all thoroly, brushed them with fine wire brush. Same thing. Battery Posts Clean, replaced the stock terminals with Lead ones, and same thing. Had a load test on my battery, battery is good. Alternator was tested, and good. I am so lost on this hot start issue. I can't afford to take it into the local garage here in town. What else could I do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.