Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2000 jetta v6 epc light question

24K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Vixen 
#1 ·
a friend of mine has a 2000 jetta v6 that started acting funny, the epc light on, found out here that it stands for electronic powertrain control, when he steps on the gas pedal the car doesn't respond, sometimes it does it really bad others hardly at all,how does this epc light figure into obd2 codes and a regular check engine light.What exactly is this light telling us? local non vw mechanics are not sure how to proceed, any help will be great.

#2 ·
The EPC light is on, which means that part of the traction control is disabled. It's not coinsodence that EPC controlls throttle actuation, and the fact that your friend says the car doesn't respond to giving the gas pedal more pressure.

There's a couple things you can do... Locate the throttle body and take off the inlet hose. Unplug the throttle body connector (only one connector on the unit itself), then remove the throttle and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner or the likes. You can clean and inspect the wiring of the TB as well, but obviously electrical cleaner must be used.

However chances are the inner workings of the throttle body motor are shot, and you'll have to replace it. Very easy to do by yourself with basic tools, but he's not gonna be happy with the price.

Best of luck, let us know how he makes out.

#3 ·
i was not aware that this car had traction control,i'll will ask him if it does,you call it a throttle body motor, is that it's proper name or is it called anything other than that? idle air motor? like in other cars or is this a vw only thing?Also at a friends garage the best,and newest snap on scan tool was used with no codes, is there a special vw scan tool required to read this type of fault?

#4 ·
I've used both the Modus and the Solus (Snap on scan tools) but never on a Volkswagen. I assume they would read the codes since a cheap autozone scanner will... But yes, Volkswagen has it's own scan tool. Vag-Com.

It's not a matter of ''if'', EPC is one of two traction control systems in the vehicle. The other is ASR.

There is no idle air control valve, nor is there an idle air sensor. The throttle body is electronic, the ECU can adjust the throttle plate at will to keep idle within specified ranges.

The official name is the throttle [body] actuator. However it's built into the throttle body, and your only option, if found to be faulty, is to replace the whole unit.

You could attempt a throttle body allignment, however you need a vag-com to perform the action, and it's unlikely that it will fix the issue.

#5 ·
I had a very similar problem and it turned out to be a bad ecu. If I were you I'd order the knock-off vag-com cord if your going to own the car for any extended period of time or have a history with them. You can purchase a 30$ one on amazon with software that works it will break down the code for you and let you test different parts of the car such as the throttle body so you can isolate the problem and know for sure what it is. (I have two of them just in-case one fails) they are worth it.
P.s. Try unplugging the maf and driving it. A bad maf with through the asp light on.

#8 ·
Ya it's the maf vixens right the slamming into gear is because the car doesn't know when to shift properly the maf regulates shift point and a/f both are symptoms of a bad maf not to mention that I've went through 3 mafs and had the same things happen each time. If your friend wants to stop having the problem multiple times just tell him to get a vr6 maf or a maf off a 225 Audi tt.

#12 ·
With shifting now being a symptom I could see it possibly being the MAF. As someone suggested, unplug it. If the car runs better you have a bad MAF sensor or a vacuum leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.