VW Jetta: 2003 jetta gls 1.8T cold air intake problems|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 jetta gls 1.8T cold air intake problems

Default 2003 jetta gls 1.8T cold air intake problems

i just installed a K&N Typhoon CAI on my 03 jetta gls 1.8t. when i got done i made sure there were no air leakes and everything was buttoned up properly. but the problem is, it honestly feels like i lost HP and especially torque. the car doesn't have the "giddy up and go" that it used to. off the line seems the same but especially in 2nd and 3rd gear, the car feels like it putts up rpm's and it feels like its having a hard time deciding when to shift (its an automatic transition by the way). the filter itself sits right under the battery, and behind the bumper and it appears to have enough room to breathe except that it is almost resting against the horn, but i was told that wouldn't make any difference. and on the grill where the horn is, there is a hole that is apparently used to let the sound of the horn escape, and that hole seems to shove plenty of air directly into the filter. so having said all that, the car just feels like i lost performance after the instillation and i cant seem to figure out why. the 2 theories i have are:
    1- maybe the horn needs to move
    2- i was told that maybe the filter may be "over oiled" and could be restricting air flow.

other than that im stumped. any idears?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2003 jetta gls 1.8T cold air intake problems

You probably did over oil the filter. Take it off, clean the filter any oil residue, re-oil it, and put it back on. Also, disconnect and then reconnect your car's negative battery cable. This will reset your car's ECU, allowing it to recognize the new mod you have installed. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread