VW Jetta: 2004 Jetta GL 2.0 Engine wont restrat and also Idle increases on its own at stop sign|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 Jetta GL 2.0 Engine wont restrat and also Idle increases on its own at stop sign

Default 2004 Jetta GL 2.0 Engine wont restrat and also Idle increases on its own at stop sign

I have two problems that may be related or most likely with my luck, will be seperate costly repairs. My G/F has a 2004 Jetta GL 2.0L with 144,000 miles. She gets in the car, drives to the store and parks and turns the car off. When she returns, she attempts to start the car and it will not start. She says it tries to turn over but just wont do it. She assured me it is not just a clicking noise when she turns the key, she says it wants to start but wont. It took her 20 minutes and finally it started. This happens to her from time to time but not constant. It has a new battery and the connections are good. Second issue is when she comes to a stop light/sign. All of a sudden her idle will increase without her foot on the gas it just revs up really high. She then starts to go and as she shifts through gears it will finally let off and go back to normal. Any insight on where to start troubleshooting? She also mentioned a gas smell with the first issue but I would assume that was from her trying to start it for 20 min.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2004 Jetta GL 2.0 Engine wont restrat and also Idle increases on its own at stop

Firstly I'd bring it to advance auto/autozone and have it scanned. It's free. If you have any codes stored, it can help greatly in determining what the cause is.

Meanwhile, next time the car wont start on it's own, unplug the MAF sensor (just the connector, don't remove the actual sensor) and see if that does anything useful. Note that you will have a code for ''air metering'', and you will get a check engine light for doing this. It can be cleared with the same tool your local autoparts store will be using to scan for codes. Both free of charge.

Also note you may want to obtain codes before you do this, incase you already have a code for mass air metering. However, it's your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by darksidedub View Post
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    I will fight you.

+ Reply to Thread