Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Coilovers Vs Lowering Springs

28K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Skimmer0220 
#1 ·
Hey everyon i have a few questions. one of my first investments i want to make is into suspention. atm i have a stock suspension setup and i want to lower my car (no, cutting my stock springs isnt one of the options i want to have) and i found H&R coilovers and lowering spring sets. im newer to the suspension aspect of cars but i know most coilovers are easily adjustable from almost any location your at but they are at least 4x more than the set lowered springs. if anyone has any imput on specs, brands, or any ideas for me it would be greatly appreciated. my pay check is near 200 a week (im only 17 >.< so no makin fun of me!) so keep that in mind when givin me ideas, VDUBS!

Auto part Coil spring Suspension part Rim Automotive engine part
OR Suspension part Auto part Suspension Motorcycle accessories Shock absorber

See less See more
#2 ·
for starters you cant buy just the springs, or you will blow your stock struts and the car will ride like ass. 2. If you buy springs or a cupkit you will be disapointed and wish your bought a nice set of coils. 3. If you have the patience to save for some h&r coils, you will be truely happy and glad you did it right the first time and didnt waste your time and money.

#9 ·
as far as cheap coils go...raceland ultimos are by far the best cheap coils i have ever had an experience with...i have ultimos and love them..my buddy has FK street lines and my ultimos ride nicer in my opinion...if you have the patience to save up for H&Rs then definitely do it...

thats just my .02

#11 ·
Hey guys thx for all of your feed back, i have looked up and studied all of the coilovers and prices and i have set my sights on either the H&R (even if they are a bit expensive) or the Ultimos. i have one final question, this kit right here http://www.racelandus.com/p-133-ultimo-coilover-kit-for-vw-golf-jetta-mk4.aspx if i buy it, i dont need to get anything else? it comes with every thing i need for all four sides right? same with this one http://www.tunersdepot.com/Suspensi...5-VW-Volkswagen-Jetta-IV-Wagon-2-0L-1842.html i think. once again sorry if i sound "noobish" when it comes to suspention, ive just never rlly worked with it, thx.

#19 ·
If you're going to go with coilovers be sure to spend some cash on a decent set... $1000 or more. Sure there's lower priced setups but you're going to get what you pay for. Spending some money is going to get you a lifetime warranty and better ride quality then a $300 or $600 setup. I went with $550 FKs 2 years ago and I'm already shopping around for a more expensive set... would've saved some money if I just spent the money in the beginning.

Bags are a whole other beast. If you're serious about going that route be sure to do a ton of research and find someone who can do a proper clean install for you. You're probably looking at a minimum $2000 starting point for an air setup not including install.

#21 ·
start with a cheap set of coils, or save up till you're ready to spend 2k - 3k on bags.
i bought a cheap 400 coilover set and its a nice ride but on the interstate... it could be nicer. but well worth the cheap price.
its your car. ive seen many bagged cars that are respected.
remember, if you get coils your gonna wanna get a nice wheel set up with spacers, if you already dont have. so spending 2k on bags without wheels will hurt you.

#24 ·
#27 ·
ha nice vids i like them, so i assume ur in vote of bags. im still stumped cuz the roads in illinois are being redone atm so they are going to be smoth so i didnt think bags would be nessisary. i think im goin to go with h&r coilllovers. i'l still think bout it but thats my most probable choice

#29 ·
#35 ·
if u maintain the coilover they shouldnt get to bad, ur gunna get stuff in the threads but u gotta keep them clean, someone on here said to spray them w/ sum lube every so often. but as u no in the winter the road stiffins up so the ride will b even worse, gotta take it easy on them. get the coilovers tho cuz it makes the car look so much more proportionate when its low...it doesnt seem so much like a bubble like it does when they sit at stock height lol

#37 ·
( May sound like a noob ) I am also new to the suspension set ups. I own a 04 Jetta TDI and I have KSPORT springs in. My performance shop told me they would lower my ride about 3" front and back. And that they were the best suspension set ups for-- springs for my car.....$179.35.....They dropped my car about 1.5", I guess that means I have to break in the new springs or my strut towers bottomed out; and that's bad?? how long do you think I have until they bust?? I bought them about 2-3 weeks ago. I didn't really notice a whole lot except that it drove stiffer I've been doing some research and have not found much.....guess i was looking in all the wrong places >.> After reading this thread, it has helped me to better understand about suspension set up, and also learned that lowering springs with stock struts is really bad, but not to sure about which route to go bagged or coils.

any tips, pointers, guidance would help and i'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
X_O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.