Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

My Jetta MK2 Build

88K views 170 replies 15 participants last post by  AndyGLI 
#1 ·
Hello I'm Johan and recently joined the awesome forum, thanks to Ryan (Jetta2) !

I'm from Pretoria and been a MK2 fan for many years in 1987 my dad bought a 1800 CSX brand new out of the box and it would have been 24 years this 26th of Feb but as life has it and living in SA the car was forcibly donated to wealth distribution. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: only for it to get written off 20/30 minutes later against the side of a bus...

here was she in her prime....

to look like this after many year and saying good bye with lots of tears...

I went to the UK between 2003-2005 and bought me this car :)

a 1992 GL Golf MK2 but had to sell her before returning to South Africa

In 2009 I got this car for a bargain great running condition 287000 km on the clock (270 000 km import 1800 installed)

I'm in the redoing stage of the car with the ICE already done and a couple more interior things that will be sorted as we go along.

This year I'm aiming to get the bodywork done and also 2l Ady installed ( turbo'ed )

but before then i'll convert my 1.8 to a Fuel injected NA motor

See less See more
#27 ·
Wow almost a month with no post cant believe time went so fast...
Well so far things is been going slow as i done most of the big work i could for now till i get the other bits and ends i still need. but i stuck a bit of bad luck also 2 weeks back. On my way to go meet up with Ryan for a drink or two i struck a Pothole and damaged my side wall of my rear wheel with no chance or a repair...
so end of the month i'll be putting on another tyre that i'll have to go buy... for now i put on 1 of the 2 old tyres i kept after putting on the new Yoko's
But to get back to a lighter note me and a friend did a quick shoot with our cars here is 1 photo so i'll post the rest when i've finished with the edits.

#28 ·
Yesterday i went to Standerton to do a shoot for a client drove there and back got 450 km on little less than half a talk of petrol have not filled up yet to see the exact amout of kilo's i got on a liter but will do that a bit later.
I've had a strange knocking sound coming from my car the last couple of days, when i got to Standerton I saw 2 exhaust rubber was perished, I got to Noise boys fitted new rubbers quickly in hope that the noise i heard was just exhaust hitting the underside of the car... But it wasnt when i got home the knocks got louder and more frequent and it was not from the exhaust.
At first I thought i might be CV's, after lifting the car and putting it on blocks, locking the front wheels and then turning it i realized the problem is not the cv's the knocking noise came from the diff of the gearbox. not far from me there is a gearbox and diff company so i quickly took it there and they confirmed my theory that its the diff...
So we started talking prices...
R750 to remove and put the gearbox back
R1850 for Oil, bearings, seals, and only then they can see what other damage is on the Gbox and that will get added onto the total once they did pricing on that...
So on the phone spoke to Ryan ask about a few things and getting a bit more info, we both agreed to rather buy a complete second hand box and fit that to the car rather than spending loads of money and you dont know what else is wrong...
I called around and they had a couple of boxes i could choose from...
Engine den dont have stock but they ask R4500 for a 2y or FFZ box
Rebel motors do have for R2500 but they so dirty and some even broken that i decided not to buy there...
I then went to Quantro Auto Spares in PTA north side and found a FFZ box for R2500 i'll be picking it up either tomorrow or Saturday it looks like its in fairly good nick all the markings is there from VW from when it came out the factory and all seals are in place so its never been opened at all.

#29 ·
After posting my thread in the technical section about gear ratios Torker got in touch with me, we started to chat and he said he had a box i was looking for already build and lying in his garage that he has a spare off. as what the price was it was PERFECT! lower than i would have paid at Quantro for a box that i'm not completely sure about.
After asking out about the gearbox Torker informed me that the box was rebuild by Poy Eloff, Sarel's dad. he combined a FFZ gears with the diff of an AEN box so i have all the longer ratios of the FFZ and the longer final drive of the AEN which was just what i wanted to do!
So basicly I struck gold thanks to Torker! I got a fully rebuild box, longer ratios, all the worn bits was replaced seals, syncro's the lot and even got a warranty!
this is the setup which was setup by Poy Elof did

And this is how it looks!

I just need to change the CV cups to the 100mm cups from my gearbox i also got Castrol gear oil 80w-90 GL5

Thanks to Ryan who agreed to will help me change the boxes next weekend. Thanks Ryan!

#30 ·
Saturday is creeping closer and alot of work is awaiting us. First we need to strip the old box, remove the 100mm CV cups from the old box and carry them over to the new box. but in the same time Torker let me know he had a brand new 210mm Clutch kit. also included is a balanced and lightened Flywheel.
Heres a photo of the clutch :)

And once again Thanks to Ryan who has agreed to help me this Saturday with the switch! All the help is welcome and needed!

#31 ·
Unfortunately i dont have photos of the gearbox change we did yesterday.
we started early just after 9am and started to strip out the old gearbox. it took us some time as we didnt pull out the whole motor but lifted the car and pulled it out from the bottom. but we lost a bit of time as we struggled a bit to get it out it was hooking on a few places. but we got it out. The changed the old 200mm clutch to the new 210 kit and flywheel.
Then we proceeded to change the CV cups on the replacement box to the ones that was on my old box.
then we struggled to get it all back in again as the flywheel is bigger now. anyway 5 hours later we got the car started and driving again. gear shifts are nice and smooth the clutch is feather light compared to my old clutch. The flywheel you can feel grips nicely and transfers the power to the wheel alot quicker to the wheels.
then we quickly took the car out on the road. and checked the speedo compared the cell phone gps. to my suprize the speedo speed is suddenly almost spot on! previously if i had to get 120km/h true speed i had to do 135km/h on the speedo. now if i do 120 on the speedo i get 118km/h on the gps at 3500rpm! So very very happy with that! i'll just check if the distance will be right now.
Also the old gearbox did suffer something majors as the oil was black and if looking in the sun you see alot of little specs of metal.
Also i'll compare the feul consumption when driving back to pretoria. i got 12.97 km/l last week with my round trip from Pretoria to Standerton and back.
I'll give another update later today when i get back in pretoria.

#32 ·
Last update on the gearbox!
I went and filled up before leaving Kriel, and reset trip meter and hit the road for the 140km trip back to Pretoria.
Driving the back I used the GPS check the car on different revs and speeds to check how the gearbox reacts.
heres the chart of my gearbox and corresponding revs theres also a link that if you want to use the chart you can download it and enter your own information.

Gear Ratio Chart
Great news is that the revs and the speed is 100% accurate according to the rev counter and the GPS speed but for an added bonus is that the Speedo is corresponding 99% with the GPS speeds! but then theres a bit of bad news. I used the trip meter of the Audi to compare it to my trip meter on the Jetta all the way back to pretoria. I clocked 130.2km while the Audi clocked 137.7km giving me a 5.93% discrepancy on the reading... when i filled up i put in 11.82liters of LRP and working on 130km i got 11km/l but working in the discrepancy i got 11.65km/l and this was mix driving mostly keeping to 120km/h but for about 10km i pushed the car between 140km/h upto 163km/h at one point.
getting 11.65km/l doing speeds like that on a carb system! I'm very very Happy!

#33 ·
Hey guys...
Its sad to say my little progress i've been making on the car so far will be stopped for a some time to come...
This was just one of those months that I wish never happened or should quickly pass... :? :? :?
Well you all know May started with a Bang, i lost one of the new tyres on the car and still have not got around to replace it yet and will run like that till end of june/July by the looks of it. Then my gearbox packed up... R3500 later that is fixed and running nicely again. which is great news!
Then had my Kidney stone thats been removed and not sure if we will be getting any suprizes along the way for any bills medical aid refuses to pay...
Then Friday Afternoon on the way back to Pretoria my wife lost control of the Audi while over taking another car problem was its a newly re tarred road and no lines is back yet and there is a T-section thats hidden and a car came out of that part. She avoided the car and then got on the brakes at which point the Audi span out of control missing all the other cars and coming to a still stand in a ditch along the road.
Some guys helped her out of the ditch at which point my dad arrived and helped further. 2 tyres was blown out. so thinking we will just quickly put on 2 new tyres she will be on her way as there is no apparent damage to the car. so my dad put on the spare wheel and discovered some major damage the right rear axis was completely bend inwards. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Got on the phone to the insurance and to Audi and Audi said the car must not go any place but them as the car has a warranty and anyone else working on the car might void it. a Tow truck came from Delmas picked up the A3 and drove all the way to Pretoria off loading it at Audi.
this is how it looks... ( not many photos but you get the idea )
Car being off-loaded at Audi

Rear Wheel thats bend

Front Wheel as the tyre just came off...

We went back the next morning and quickly spoke to the guys at Audi. so far the front right strut sounds like it will be completely replaced you cant see any visible damage on it but they affraid the bearing got a knock and the shock bend inside it self, the rear axis is going to be replaced as a whole lot of the mounting points bend and the right side is a complete mess. Also they going to replace all the tyres and mags.
Insurance is not going to be happy... so far it looks like the damage is going to be in the area of R70k minimum... but we will get a final quote on Monday from them. and hear how things is going to proceed... all i can say is THANK GOD WE HAVE INSURANCE!
here is some of the visible damage of the underside of the audi...

Moving along to my car now... here is the last bit of work i've done so far and this is where its going to stay till our bank manager is happy with us...
I got a new Tappet cover that I cleaned up and quickly sprayed for when i'm switching heads and converting to Fuel Injection on the 1800.
what i do need to complete the job now is Injectors, fuel pump and a harness for the Go-tech ECU i got from Ryan. then i can do the conversion.
heres the tappet cover in the stages of spraying...

From there i reassembled the Gasflowed head and intake manifold. but first i had to remove a broken off bolt at the far right hand side of the head which i quickly drilled through and use bolt extractors to turn it out.
but this is how it looks and I must say i'm getting more more excited to see how its taking shape and cant wait to bolt it into the car!

Anyway thats me for a while will start posting once things is back in motion again!

#34 ·
Ok engine plans will be following like so...

First step.

Converting the 1.8l carb to the Fuel injection with the head setup as seen above...

taking off the standard head and replacing it with the gas-flowed head bigger valve, a 282 degree cam with a 11.6mm lift, 6 bar fuel pump. standard injectors

hoping to get about 75-80kw (100-107 hp) on the wheels with NA setup.

then later running a 2 liter ADY setup also with the same cam and head. but this time round a Force induction with an Audi K26 turbo at 1.0 bar with 350cc injectors

by then hoping to get 140 - 160kw ( 187 - 214 hp ) on the wheels :)

#35 ·
Great News the Audi is back and driving perfect again! Thanks to the workmanship of Audi Hatfield :)

so been talking to Magsta a bit and mentioned I'm trying to make a bracket for my Throttle cable that will go onto the intake manifold. as we chatted he Said i must send a drawing, So i got cracking and started to measure and draw and make carton templates.

3 hours later i had my drawing which i sent to Magsta and he started to make me a awesome and bloody strong throttle bracket using 4 mm stainless 316L the very next day!

Thanks to Magsta and his hard work and Jetta2 that brought the Bracket to me here Pretoria.

and this is the results first 5 fotos is what Magsta took while machining

First piece of metal marked and ready to be drilled and cut.

Drilling the hole where the cable will be hooked in

parts ready for final welding

and the end result!

These are my photos i took of the different views of the bracket to get some nice perspective of magsta's handy work

And heres the bracket fitted to the Manifold! perfect fit!

added the Cable to the bracket and mani and its strong! if this bends or breaks the car surely is not running anymore nor will be...

I'll try polish the bracket first before final fitment!

#36 ·
i LOVE all this build attention. But i cant stand the wheels...sry. just my taste. Cant wait to see this engine sitting in the bay. Any plans to relocate anything in the bay, clean her out at all?

#37 ·
Thanks for the comment. the wheels was a haste decision as i got the brake upgrade going and the original OEM mags was too small for the calipers. later i'll go for 17" wheels but for now this will have to do...

on the relocation question. i'm planning on cleaning things out i'll see what will be done in terms of cables and wires being neaten up.

#38 ·
Things is slowly getting into motion again but will be some time before its really fully in motion.

Yesterday Morning i quickly went tot get get my tyre sorted which was written off some last month. and on the way back for some reason my Speedo cable popped and i grabbed the opportunity today to start a cluster mod i wanted to do for some time.

I followed this guide on Vwvortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...d-white-overlays-in-your-cluster.-56K-Beware!

With my theme of the car being black and red i made my face plate with a red back ground and white text leaving the needles white to give that nice contrast.

Here is how the cluster looked before i started doing anything

here is got the rev counter and watch out i'll be replacing the yellow light with Red high intensity LED's

Here is how the original plates looked like

The watch with the green film inserted still

Removed the film from the watch so the LED's will not be distorted by its color.

My newly designed face plates that with the originals together to see how it will change. The new faces is printed on Glossy photo paper

Assembling the fuel gauge with its new face.

Checking how it will look in the cluster holder ( love the Red and black look :) )

Both Plates covered with the newly designed faces.

The final look and effect its going to have once done the needles is not firmly inserted yet as i have not started with the LED part yet. i'll continue with that tomorrow after noon.

#39 ·
Last night i finished my Cluster in terms of its assembly. took me a bit of time but manage to get it done :)
First got hold of some Bread board soldered in my LED's with a 560 Ohm 1/4watt resistor. the LED's i used was 2 volt 1800-2500 mcd led's
so this is how it looked after that was done

then i altered the instructions from the original and drilled holes ontop of the cluster rather than struggling to get angles right so its shinning down with a defuser

LED's running from a battery charger on 12v :)

Led's inserted to the plastic and then tested

defuser added

Testing the red LED's on the red face plates i made.

Unfortunately i missed alot of photos here but i drilled a 5mm hole on each side of the clear plastic to glue in the red LED either side added a Resistor to each LED heat shrinked it and wired it up and this is how it looked when giving power.

And the Cluster put back together looking nice and clean after a bit of elbow grease and a multi fiber cloth.

the top part there all the led's is soldered in i covered with the same plastic i made the defuser from just to make sure nothing shorts out.

the edge where the wires is i covered using the heat glue gun to cover it nicely on both sides

Tonight I'll put it back in the car test it all and make sure its all working and i'll post photos after :)

#40 ·
I wasnt sure what to expect when I was done but I had entertained the idea of having matching color bumpers and skirts. The car came from the factory with an unpainted front bumper witch really looks bad ass compared to a stock Jetta. Sunday I finnaly had the time I could lift up the car to make work easier and get to taking the paint off the rear.

Today's task: re positing the coolent tank and then mount the Strut stress bar painted to match the car. Unfortunatly im still collecting parts before I can get the quad round set up in properly.

#41 ·
Some of you may know last week was my Birthday. And thanks to my brother in law i have a whole set of new lifters that i'll be fitting in the gasflowed head :)

these were a nice Birthday present!

Basicly i need a couple of small things then i can start with the fuel injection conversion.

1. 6 Bar Fuel Pump.
2. Standard 1.8 / 2.0 injectors
3. Go-tech MFI wiring harness.

I've already made arrangements to get the a pump and injectors. but will just be a bit of time before the funds will be here.

#42 ·
I wasnt sure what to expect when I was done but I had entertained the idea of having matching color bumpers and skirts. The car came from the factory with an unpainted front bumper witch really looks bad ass compared to a stock Jetta. Sunday I finnaly had the time I could lift up the car to make work easier and get to taking the paint off the rear.

Today's task: re positing the coolent tank and then mount the Strut stress bar painted to match the car. Unfortunatly im still collecting parts before I can get the quad round set up in properly.​
I'm also entertaining that idea for when i do my painting later but i'm loving the black look more and more and thinking interms of stone chips and so on i think i might just stay with then unpainted bumpers.

#43 ·
Its been a while since i've updated my thread.

I've been waiting for some time now and got little bits and pieces to complete the assembly of the 8V head.

In between the waiting i did a couple of small things. I replaced most of the threads of the nuts with allen key bolts. found a cam pulley fastening bolt and the notch that goes into the cam.

i then cleaned the Throttle body even more and sprayed it black with engine enamel on the outside. here is how it looked before.

and after I finished painting it.

Well now i need my Harness for the Go-tech ECU. picking up my 6 bar fuel pump in the morning. then i can start with my conversion.

But in the meantime i'll have a couple of things powerder coated at NPA, the paint started to flake as i tightened the bolts on the tappet cover.

This morning i went to Turbo_racer to pickup the inlet manifold that composed of injectors, fuel rail, fuel injector harness, Throttle body.

this is how things is starting to look now. assembled the fuel rail and injectors. just need to get fastening brackets to bolt it down.

Thanks for the interest and i'll post some more once i have some more progress.

#44 ·
OK things is progressing nicely!

My wife went to Go-tech today and bought me the wiring harness for the Go-tech MFI v5 Ecu I got from Ryan.

I took a bit of time and marked all the different wires so I wont get mixed up later when installing the ECU in the Jetta.

I also quickly popped in by Goldwagen and picked up a Audi 500 High pressure Fuel filter.

Next on the shopping list...

Powder coating some parts.
6 Bar Fuel pump

This weekend i'll get my car dyno'ed to get the stock stats and a base line for when i'll upgrade to the fuel injection.

#45 ·
So Yesterday and today i went and got some more little things i need for my build.

I went to Montana Traders and got some Sound power cables to drive my fuel pump that i will be installing along with the Fuel injection system.

I got 2 set of 6 meter 8 gauge RED and Blue power cables to run along to the Petrol pump. and a fuse holder to fuse everything from. sadly this is a 60amp fuse but will go and look for a 30 amp fuse.

Well its not everyday you will be posting computer equipment in a car forum but while i was at Montana Traders i quickly popped into one of the many computer stores there and bought a USB to Serial cable, so i can interface with the Go-tech ECU

On my way to Ryan this morning I quickly stopped at Goldwagen in Silverton to get hold of a Water flange i'll be using on the gasflowed head with a 4 pin Water temperature sensor

I quickly went to Ryan this morning not just to check the new gauge cluster he has made himself but to quickly have a look at these and to see if there is any life in them or not. And here we have it! from a Audi 500 Turbo donor, we have a wastegate and a KKK 26 Turbo. From a first glance it looks worst than it is, so with a closer inspection apart from that the Turbo and the Wastegate needs a propper clean it all seems in order.

Spinning the Turbo it spins freely no noises or feeling of stiffness, opening up the Turbo the Blade on both ends are perfect nothing has gone through those blades yet. On the Compressor housing there is a bit of oil stuf to the sides but nothing to hectic as the Audi 500 Turbo breathed into the intake. On the Turbine side there was very little carbon build up and the blades also looks pretty decent. the heat shield has a small hole in it so will have to get that replace. Will see if we cant get our hands on a Turbo rebuild kit.

the Waste gate also looks worst than it is spring is still strong not sure if the diaphragm is 100% as we did not open it up completely

on the Turbine side it has a 57mm outlet for the Down pipe

on the compressor there is a 48mm inlet

Blades on the compressor side looks good with no damage

So sometime next month we'll do the conversion to Fuel injection and then i'll start to get things together for BOOSTING!!

#46 ·
This Morning I got up early as many of the VWCSA has done to attend Panic's Save the Dyno day.

The idea about today was to see what the car has under the hood now and to have a good reference to see where it started and where its going from here.

So leaving Pretoria this morning after picking up Andre from his house i told him i'll be extremely happy if i can get about 50Kw on the wheels but i have no idea of what torque number i would be looking at...

Arriving at Panic's Dyno we were greeted by the thundering sound of the Lumina's V8, Got in the que at number 29 we had a bit of time to check the sweet Vw's parked all over.

I got on the dyno and Panic and them starting running my car and a Adv timing ping made it self very clear! :oops: :oops: but with a quick tune the car ran and made 67.3 Hp atw and 118nm of torque

Some pics of my run.

Here's a small clip of the run be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWXX7p6ZshA

Dyno sheet (click graph for the complete dyno sheet )

#49 ·
this morning i decided i'm going to alter the 2.0l Fuel rail i bought from Turbo_racer not so long ago and make it fit to my setup i have.

the 2 fastening pipe on the rail was too long to get it fitted to my U-flow head so i cut the pipe a bit shorter and made brackets so that it can be screwed in place.

this is how the rail started out.

After a quick run in with a Angle grinder it soon looked this but it was once again a bit too long so i made it as sort as possible as i can leaving only about 25mm of pipe without damaging the rail.

here is the head with its original rail and fastening brackets. looks a bit tacky and old.

After obtaining the correct length on the pipes i test fitted it and saw that the original fastening way is not going to work the cam cover is on on and already the inlets of the rail is pushing again the cam pulley.

Only thing left was to turn it around to get the correct clearances on both sides of the head and the rail. And its looking good fits in nicely.

I also got the wire trunking so i can run the wires of the injectors in there. and it fits nicely onto the mounting pipes

So i got started on the brackets using the aluminum plate i got form Torker when i bought the gearbox from him i cut strips out to size using a jigsaw with Aluminum cutting blades.

After playing about with angles and little idea and ruining the first strip of Alu i finally got my first bracket! since the mounting points dont completely line up i had to cut a bit extra and made a hole slightly offset in order to fasten the rail.

As i did not take photos of the first bracket i did with the second. here i'm marking out the sizes and where the holes should be drill.

Drilled out my holes on the second bracket, you can see the first bracket with it s extra bit this bracket luckily lines up 100% with the screw hole on the head so no need to make any funny cuts

not having a bench vice i had to improvise on how i'm going to get the bracket bend and this is how. 2 shiftings clamping the plate to the garage door and using long nose pliers i bend it to the correct angle

and the 2 brackets done

Not wanting to try and bend the brackets again i used the off cut pieces from the fuel rail as spacers that will fasten onto the head. going to look something like this

I dont have the correct length bolts yet but using the fastening bolts from the original intake manifold this is how the rail will be screwed inplace.

The Air vent for the injectors was also in the way and since Ryan blocked it off i'm also not going to use

I cut the pipe a bit shorter

And using a M6 bolt I'm going to block it off again but now its all nicely tugged away and not in the way but not too short as not being able to use it along the way if needed.

Wiring harness trunking added and also installed the Wiring harness for the injector.

Attached the Inlet mani again and hanged the Cam cover just over the cam pulley to get an idea how the clearances is going too look like and how it all fits in.

Soon I'll take the Tappet cover the Cam cover and few other bits to get them all sand blasted and Powder coated.

Thanks for the time viewing and as always any input is appreciated!

#50 ·
I've been quiet for a while now but things is just on a bit of a stand still as i'm trying to get my last parts together.
Some progress report on the motor side is that i manage to get a 2l ADY block i've put down a deposit and hope to go pick it up at the end of the month! thus plans to change the 1.8 carb to a fuel injection is not going to happen. just going to do a straight swap of motor.
In the mean time i've gotten sick of how my mags looks on the car and take the idea of Ryan and did a DIY wheel spray.
I went to Builders got some supplies and got started on it!
got 5 cans of Spray as suggested by Ryan to use 1 can per wheel and being scared i might just run out once i got started as i have more surface to cover i bought a 5th can for just incase also i bought 4 roles of blue painters masking tape to help with the masking of the tyre.

and for a test to make sure the color it what want it to be i just sprayed a side of a cold drink can to see the effect.

heres how the mags looked and the "sand blast" damage on the spokes.

after washing the wheels with prepsol and made sure there was no grease on the mags inside i masked the wheels up and started to spray them heres the first wheel with a couple of layers of paint on it. while the one wheel was drying with its layers of paint i would mask ther other tyre up finished the one mag and put it back on the car and taking of the next so i kept busy while the paint dried inbetween layers.

Almost finished sprayed mag next to the soon to be sprayed mag. the new color is actualy a bit more brighter than the original but looks great.

unwrapping the last wheel to be put back on the car and this is how it looks

with all the wheels fitted this is the end results and i really like the look of the wheels now!

#51 ·
after 2 years of planning and chopping and changing and deciding what to do and then changing everything all together...
I finaly got my 2l 8v ADY motor!
so heres is the motor will need a bit of TLC and cleaning up but its going to be worth it!

the 2.0l ADY motor that will be transplanted in the Jetta soon as posible!
This morning I started to clean and strip the motor completely so i can see how the internals looks like. And proceed from there to make a shopping list and repair that needs to be repair and rebuild the motor so it can be reliable as possible.
Here is how the motor looked before i started to clean it. full of oil and grease. So with petrol and a brush i brushed the outside with the motor to dissolve all grease and oil. then ran a cloth dipped in Prepsol over it.

This is how it looked after its petrol and prepsol bath, I aslo started to remove the bits like the Intermediate shaft, oil flange, breather.

Turned the motor over to start and open up the sump. suprizingly the inside looked very well.

I started to remove the conrod nuts and inspect the bearings. Now here i need to know is it really needed to replace the bearings or can i use them again?

I proceeded to remove the Cranck pistons, oil pump and used the Steel wool with prepsol and scrubed the surface clean.

on the next 4 photos you can see the cylinders from 1 to 4 all in perfect nic no grooves what so ever. You can see all the honeing marks still!

I proceeded to cleanup the piston from the Carbon build up that was here but I inspected bearing again. I'm considering to use them as is you can see there is a bit of wear on them but its so minimum. ( Maybe you can advice me some more ? )

Heres the piston before i started to clean it.

this is how it looked after. i see the piston have some small pits in but sure its nothing to worry about. aslo you can see the piston is original with the stamp of 82.47mm in Dia meter.

From here you can see the main bearings also the crank and other bits thats been cleanup. Tomorrow i'll finishe the rest of the pistons and up date again.

#52 ·
A few weeks back I was the lucky recipiant of a KKK K26 turbo that came off a Audi 500 Turbo.
I the meantime I''ve been busy cleaning it up but the turbo center still needs to be rebuild. when the time is right this will join my 2.0L 8v setup :)
Heres the turbine housing as i got it.

Then when i had my Intake manifold and Tappet cover powder coated i had it sandblasted to clean it up a bit.

This afternoon i went and got myself a can of very high heat spray. I painted the Turbine and left it to dry once it was dry i poped it into the oven to cure the paint. 10 minutes on 60 degrees 15 min on 100 degrees 15 min on 140 degree 20 min on 180 degrees then 60 minutes on 260 degrees
and this is how the end result looks like hopefully it wont go rusty and brown very soon after this!

#54 ·
yeah i know it needs to be primed. and will do so :)

i'm just getting prices for parts and so on and come month end i'll go buy it and start to rebuild. Wanted to use the original bearings still but decided against it.

So what will be done...

All oil seals and gaskets,
Main bearings
Big ends,
Water pump,
Distributor,
Spark plug leads,
tensioning pulley,
new cambelt
New fan belt
and piston rings
and a dipstick to replace the missing one.

Still need alot of turbo parts before i can get started on that but will collect them as it goes along. and do the convertion a bit later.

My current aim needs to be about 129 hp on the wheels and somewhere about 180-190nm of torque on Naturaly Aspirated

once i go Force induction i hope to see figures about 244 hp and 300 nm of torques on the wheels at 1.2 bar boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.