VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: 2001 Jetta losing coolant, no visible leaks |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2001 Jetta losing coolant, no visible leaks

Default 2001 Jetta losing coolant, no visible leaks

Hi, I have a 2001 2.0L jetta that I'm having to add coolant to every day because the low level light comes on when I start it in the morning. There are no visible leaks (even with dye) so I'm at bit of a loss! I replaced the water pump and thermostat 2 years ago.
    It might be worth noting that for a couple of seconds after start-up in the morning there is a bit of blue exhaust smoke that disappears almost instantly. Possible water in oil?
    Also probably not related, replaced the MAF sensor and filter about 6 months ago.
    Local VW want to charge a bucketload of cash just to look at it. Any brainstorming ideas would be really appreciated.

Senior Member Sosculero is on a distinguished road Sosculero's Avatar

Default Re: 2001 Jetta losing coolant, no visible leaks

did u do the temp sensor housing flange and the little T for the coolant lines? and the blue smoke my friend is ur engine....mines is a chronic smoker but i got over the smoke and just drive it....but check those 2 pieces because they are known to disintegrate very easily....like a 30$ fix if u do it yourself and its ultra easy
    2000 2.0 AEG 5 Speed : Swiss cheese intake. Magnaflow 2.25 Catback Exhaust. SOLD!

Jetta Junkie Moderator pow3r hour has disabled reputation pow3r hour's Avatar

Do a compression test, maybe you have a bad headgasket and coolant is getting into the oil. Also do you ever notice any white smoke at all? and is it a auto or manual (i ask because auto has a trans cooler)?

thanks for your replies... the temp sensor housing flange is fine... what coolant line 'T' are you reffering to?
    I'm hoping it's not a head gasket job but that did cross my mind. I don't see white smoke, just a little blue on start-up. It's an auto.

Senior Member pete6810 is on a distinguished road pete6810's Avatar

id check the o-ring in ur coolant flange. but like mentioned since u have smoke that usually points at a headgasket. but idk since i cant see it. id check the o-ring first. pretty common for those to be completely flat and worn. but u would prob see a spot under the car aswell if it were that. or if ur really lucky u just dont have the coolant at the right level cuz ur not adding at the right time. make sure its compeltely cold when u add, i had to drain my system and it took me like a week to get the right amount back in. lets cross our fingers its not a head gasket cuz there spendy to do and most likely wont b worth it for ur car.

dnt use dye and il reapeat everyone on here use G12, deadly mistake if u dont. our aluminum engines dont like green/orange stuff ha
    Now the drop is changin' colors like Sammy Sosa

Thanks everyone for your posts.... I took the coolant flange off this weekend and noticed on further inspection that he plastic lip on the inside of the big o-ring was partially deteriorated. I replaced the whole flange, o-ring and a new o-ring for the temp sensor and so far, so good! 24 hours later and no extra coolant added yet (fingers crossed). I agree about the coolant - don't put any old generic 'off the supermarket shelf' antifreeze in your jetta. G-12 is the right way to go for us!

Senior Member pete6810 is on a distinguished road pete6810's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick01 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your posts.... I took the coolant flange off this weekend and noticed on further inspection that he plastic lip on the inside of the big o-ring was partially deteriorated. I replaced the whole flange, o-ring and a new o-ring for the temp sensor and so far, so good! 24 hours later and no extra coolant added yet (fingers crossed). I agree about the coolant - don't put any old generic 'off the supermarket shelf' antifreeze in your jetta. G-12 is the right way to go for us!
    good deal u got it fixed man
    Now the drop is changin' colors like Sammy Sosa

+ Reply to Thread