Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2001 Jetta losing coolant, no visible leaks

16K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  pete6810 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 2.0L jetta that I'm having to add coolant to every day because the low level light comes on when I start it in the morning. There are no visible leaks (even with dye) so I'm at bit of a loss! I replaced the water pump and thermostat 2 years ago.
It might be worth noting that for a couple of seconds after start-up in the morning there is a bit of blue exhaust smoke that disappears almost instantly. Possible water in oil?
Also probably not related, replaced the MAF sensor and filter about 6 months ago.
Local VW want to charge a bucketload of cash just to look at it. Any brainstorming ideas would be really appreciated.

#2 ·
did u do the temp sensor housing flange and the little T for the coolant lines???? and the blue smoke my friend is ur engine....mines is a chronic smoker but i got over the smoke and just drive it....but check those 2 pieces because they are known to disintegrate very easily....like a 30$ fix if u do it yourself and its ultra easy

#4 ·
thanks for your replies... the temp sensor housing flange is fine... what coolant line 'T' are you reffering to?
I'm hoping it's not a head gasket job but that did cross my mind. I don't see white smoke, just a little blue on start-up. It's an auto.

#5 ·
id check the o-ring in ur coolant flange. but like mentioned since u have smoke that usually points at a headgasket. but idk since i cant see it. id check the o-ring first. pretty common for those to be completely flat and worn. but u would prob see a spot under the car aswell if it were that. or if ur really lucky u just dont have the coolant at the right level cuz ur not adding at the right time. make sure its compeltely cold when u add, i had to drain my system and it took me like a week to get the right amount back in. lets cross our fingers its not a head gasket cuz there spendy to do and most likely wont b worth it for ur car.

dnt use dye and il reapeat everyone on here use G12, deadly mistake if u dont. our aluminum engines dont like green/orange stuff ha

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your posts.... I took the coolant flange off this weekend and noticed on further inspection that he plastic lip on the inside of the big o-ring was partially deteriorated. I replaced the whole flange, o-ring and a new o-ring for the temp sensor and so far, so good! 24 hours later and no extra coolant added yet (fingers crossed). I agree about the coolant - don't put any old generic 'off the supermarket shelf' antifreeze in your jetta. G-12 is the right way to go for us!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.