VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Spare Keys? |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spare Keys?

Default Spare Keys?

I just bought my first ever vw, '01 wolfsburg edition, but it only came with one key. Do I absolutely have to go to the dealership to get a new one? Can I just get the "valet key" for a lower price? Also, is there a code to activate the key? Any advice is helpful.

Visiting Old Volks Home Elrodg is on a distinguished road Elrodg's Avatar

Ok so if you want a new key without the remote it will be much cheaper. It can be cut elsewhere but you have to get the right key. You can getthe key cut at a few places online. They will match the cut to your vin number. But it will cost a lot regardless.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615632,-88.302893
    If all the world is a stage, I wanna operate the trapdoor.

99 Jetta GLS 5 speed LOADED
    84 VW Vanagon 5 speed 1.9 wasserboxxer AKA "Lunchbox"

Default Re: Spare Keys?

you can get it done cheap at locksmith place just to have a back up if u lock the keys in the car, but you cant use it to drive around. there is no code you can put to activate it, has to be programmed through the computer

Junior Member bboycircuit is an unknown quantity at this point bboycircuit's Avatar

Try using a auto locksmith and get a valet key. I got quoted 65 bucks for than cut and coded and then the switchblade was 185 cut and coded. No need to go to the dealership but the car needs to be wherever you get it cut.

Jetta Junkie Moderator pow3r hour has disabled reputation pow3r hour's Avatar

The cheapest way I found by far is order an uncut key off of ebay or something. You can find em pretty cheap. Then just start calling around and find places that do laser cut keys. All in all I paid $30 for a key and cut for the audi.

when i got mine from ebay, nobody would cut it because it was made out of steel and would ruin their cutters

Visiting Old Volks Home Elrodg is on a distinguished road Elrodg's Avatar

Exactly. You are gonna have to look at my fob thread and find the address for the kutters shop. They will cut to vin for cheaper than vw charges. Or do a google search for vw key cut by vin
    If all the world is a stage, I wanna operate the trapdoor.

99 Jetta GLS 5 speed LOADED
    84 VW Vanagon 5 speed 1.9 wasserboxxer AKA "Lunchbox"

+ Reply to Thread