Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Jetta Auto to Manual Swap Question

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  urbann.nomad 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've researched this question and cannot find exactly the answer im looking for so im resorting to asking.

I have a 2000 Jetta 2.0 with an auto transmission.
A guy recently contacted me saying he has a 2003 Jetta Wagon 2.0 with Manual Tranny that was wrecked.

My question, will it be possible to swap manual tranny from this '03 into my Jetta.

#2 ·
Yes, you can. It involves a lot of work/parts but if everything you need in the donor car works then go for it (if you get the car dirt cheap). You should be able to figure out what you need to swap out if you have knowledge of manuals. There is a few things you may not know already, the gauge cluster should also be changed out and so should the ecu. The ecu is the shitty part, I believe just having one from a manual is not enough. You'll have to bring it to your vw dealer and see if they can do a flash for your car. I'm not sure how it work's maybe someone else can chime in that knows. But that might be spendy....

IMO if you wan't manual, just sell your car and get one... Automatics will usually sell for more anyways, you'll attract more buyers that will pay more. Manuals usually lure in the enthusiasts that want a good deal. I'd rather put all that hard work to something more useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.