Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

98 Jetta VR6... :), Worth the fix? Plz help

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  0Silva1 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 VW Jetta GLX, with a beautiful VR6 engine sitting in it. It has 140k on it, still purrs great. But for inspection reasons there are things I MUST fix to pass. Some of the items I can fix myself, and some I can have a friend do who is certified, for roughly $25 an hour. Is this worth the fix, and which parts, should I go new on, and which ones can I get away with being used from a junkyard. I am going to have my friend with me when we pull parts, so I hope I can assume, I am going to get parts that will work.

Front engine mount is cracked
Front struts
Rear shocks
Alternator
All 4 window regulators, came electric, but am willing to go cheap and get manual.
Wiring harness
I would like to replace the clutch while Im getting at the alternator
Break discs, break pads, tires
Reflector next to fog light....um ok, what else. Oh, two small rust holes in the undercarriage. So is it worth the fix. By the way. I love this car, it is beautiful and glorious in many ways. The last dino read 210h/235t, I would love to one day rebuild the engine and tranny to be able to take a turbo.

Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#4 ·
Engine mount isn't a big deal I don't think. We had one go a couple years ago on a MK4 and it wasn't that big of a deal if I remember correctly. If you want to get a more rewarding drive out of your VW you could get some Audi TT control arm bushings and then an aftermarket set of struts / shocks. The kit will cost you about 400 installed (which may be pricey but if you are going to mod it's on the eventual list anyway haha) Dunno about the alternator or the window regulators but like you said if you don't mind going manual then no problem there. If you are going to mod (which being a VR6 will be very tempting :p ) then you should just throw a heavier clutch in it right now. You could pick one up for aroudn 350 plus installation. Brakes can be pricey but you know that already.. And lastly I dunno about the wiring harness. But what is the harness for? It's up to you. Really you can look at it in two ways: It's too much money, not worth it. OR I am going to mod down the road and I may as well just replace these things now when they actually need to be replaced. Personally, if I had a VR6, I would keep it and fix it and slowly turn it into a beast on wheels!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.