VW Jetta How To/DIY: MkV Headlight painting|Forum Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MkV Headlight painting

Default MkV Headlight painting

Hello everyone, I'm new to JJ. I have a MkV Jetta and I love it. It's just a 2.5 L S but still. Now as it stands I have the chrome grille front end.

Here's a current pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1331231437781.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	10886

My goal is to get a Gti grille replacement as I LOVE that look. (If anyone is interested in a trade hit me up). But that's not really where I need help. You see I don't like the chrome headlight look, instead I plan on painting them black.

Here's my goal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1331231544448.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	10887

When I say paint them black I mean bake the headlights and paint part of the chrome flat black. Iveenot only seen it done successfully but I have done it myself on a previous car. My question is this, does it effect the brightness? The only other car icewdone this too didn't have a problem, but I thought I'd ask you guys.

If a thread for this already exists then just let me know, I tried finding one.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Also I understand that the above photo has projector headlights. Mine are the stock ones that I plan on painting. I would leave the inner part chrome of course (similar to the projector headlights above), just wondering if it will be enough.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Senior Member SLP 13 is on a distinguished road SLP 13's Avatar

Default Re: MkV Headlight painting

I believe that as long as you leave the inner part that immediately surround the bulb alone, it shouldn't affect the visibility since that is what I assume is mainly used to reflect the light for greater visibility. Heres the ECS version which has everything black except that inner part:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...hts/ES1848614/

Good luck on that, try to post pics.. maybe a walkthrough

Senior Member VDubLaFontaine is on a distinguished road VDubLaFontaine's Avatar

Default Re: MkV Headlight painting

it does effect visibility a tad, but if your going for the look.. eh do it.

+ Reply to Thread