Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

first car build ever. where should i start???

5K views 55 replies 11 participants last post by  Mk4T 
#1 ·
i just bought a 03 jetta gls 1.8t. gunna drive it for abit stock but want to do abit to it. curious as to where i should start and which directions i can take in doing mods??? i see body kits are a no same with projectors. thinking i wanna lower it first than bumpers head/tails joeyd and tinted. i know what i want to do just dont know where to start?? i am in love with this jetta. was also curious as to if there are a forum on different stances for jetta that ppl have already done and messed with? tried searching but didnt find anything that really answered my questions. will be posting some pics later of the car as it is now the car is bone stock and platinum grey. SO SEXXXYY..

#5 ·
First things first, I would make sure the car is up to date on all it's maintenance and that everything under the hood is in good condition... Doesn't matter how good your car looks if it can't go anywhere lol.

If you are looking for stance, look at this thread on Vortex... Thousands upon thousands of pictures that have to do with stance and Mk4's:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4104302-The-Stance-Thread-v2.0

For other things besides wheels and suspension, I would do software for the car (you can PM me about it) to make it quicker, exhaust, and that would be a good start.

Maintenance first, then wheels, suspension, software and such after.

#8 ·
View attachment 11088 if you can see them. can these chips and gouges be fixed and painted over???
Yea you can sand them like Vicky said but if there chipped and gouges then you can bondo or jb weld and sand them down to perfect and repaint them

Sent from space through a satellite

#7 ·
Sand 'em out. If they're really deep (can't tell from the pic) you'd probably have to take them somewhere to get fixed, but I wouldn't worry about it too much 'cause they're just LB's. As far as where to start, start where your pocket allows.

#9 ·
ok i take a look into that. um what about coilovers?? should i just get lowering springs i9f my struts are still good? and will i have to change anything else in the suspension if i do lower it???

#12 ·
ok yeah this is why i post this **** cause ppl are stupid around here. thank you. will be back with more questions lol if i cant find them myself ofcoarse.

#15 ·
IMO What you should do is decide whether you want speed or just eye dropping good looks. Either way start with the basics. Lowering and rims is a good start. I wouldn't really look into a body kit if you are planning on lowering it and building it up for speed. To much damage to kit in long run. Also what type of budget you will be working with plays alot into it.

#16 ·
yeah i agree 100% about the body kit, ultimately not worth it in long run. will always end up buying a new one around here. yeah i think im gunna worry about the looks for right now. she needs some love. and i have some great ideas, nothign to drastic tho cause id like to be able to run more boost and stuff in the future but for right now i wanna keep my gas millage.

what do your opinions on air ride systems or ones that just assist your existing spring setup??? was looking at these last night. company was AIR LIFT..?? anyone had experience with these??

right now im thinking lowering and changing stance abit and changing up my interior abit. i wanna put acouple 8" subs behind the backseat since all the speakers are in the doors and i really dont want a huge box in the trunk. but id haave to do abit of fabricating which i feel may end up causing problems in the future. any advice on this???? 2Din touchscreen dvd/nav. been looking at LED mods for the speedo and tacho. i think im gunna keep the factory platinum grey paint. SEXY lol. but yeah thanks for your input everyone. pics will come as i go.

also suggestions on stuff to have is always welcomed. good or bad.

#19 ·
haha yeah i was thinking the same thing. :] but that would be a bit of saving. might go with some racelands for now just to get a feel of what its gunna look like. cause it may be totally not what i want it to look like and end up changing it anyway. idk gunna work on a cheap custom SRI this weekend.and try and button up the back bumper. its not totaly on the lip and lined up one side and its starting to annoy me cause it looks terrible. might post a pic of it as is now to show you what i mean lol. ugh this car is very nice and clean but its gotta abunch of little off things that bug me. i think i still have time to get my money back cuase it was from a shop/dealer near my house...

#20 ·
i really dont want to tho. id kinda rather button all the stuff up myself. can i make the side turn signal a dif color?? so that when i shade them they arent just boring, like maybe red or blue to go with the dash lights.

#21 ·
i could get brand new raceland coilovers right now but i would have nothing left in my savings=/ lol so would if i had a way of getting it back in there quikly . next few weeks im hoping to get a shark fin antena, an sri done amd some touch up on the body. really cant wait to get the key marks of 3/4 of the car =/ person b4 me pissed his women off apparently. lol gunna be a fun projects. also thinking baout geting abck into doing recons and learn abit about using a buffer. can post pics of the amazing key job the chik did also.

#23 ·
Haha yeah pics will be up tomorrow. And I'm pretty sure most of it will buff out it. I just need the right pads and compound.. Maybe you guys can help.. Well find out tomorrow

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

#25 ·
yuppers got that covered. what other brands are good? alls ive found are cheap ebay parts or expensive. i found a eiback sport suspension kit:sway bar, springs, ends, all that good stuff for not much more i think, that says it will do the same thing?? and i might not be able to snap some pics of those scratches today skimmer but ill try.

#29 ·
yeah nope prolly gunna have to find a new trunk lid. or repaint it..
the hood pic is not working. but it and all the other scratches on the sides are just on top. got lucky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.