VW Jetta: Strange Engine Noise|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange Engine Noise

Default Strange Engine Noise

Hi, I have a 2003 Jetta GLI that is making strange noises coming from the engine. The car has a little under 90k. The car has two new ignition coils, and a new water pump. Also has a new clutch. The timing chain has not been replaced, as with the serpentine belt. I can't find out what that noise is, maybe timing chain or serpentine belt? It doesnt really seem like it. Thanks for the help in advance.

This link is a clip of the noise the car makes:

http://youtu.be/H7LyLqGrLNU

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Euro Snob Vixen is on a distinguished road Vixen's Avatar

Hmm its a 24v and they don't really have the chain issues that 12v's do... does it get worse when accelerating?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    IMD | IG @VixenVR6

Senior Member 0S1R1S is on a distinguished road 0S1R1S's Avatar

Have you checked your exhaust fittings? It could be a part of your exhaust system rattling. That would also increase in intensity at higher RPMs.

Sent from myPhone using myThumbs

Default Re: Strange Engine Noise

I'm not sure if gets worse when accelerating, the engine drowns out the noise. i tried revving the car in neutral and it seems like the rattling noise gets faster. Where do i check the exhaust fittings? I have never worked on vw. Usually on cars you follow the headers down to where it meets the exhaust, both attached by two bolts. Is that what i need to tighten? or something else?

Let it cool off, grab hold and give it a little shake. If it moves more than you think is normal, or you notice loose bolts, there is your issue. VW bolts on exhaust systems are crap.

Default Re: Strange Engine Noise

I tried to shake it but it doesnt budge.. its completely stiff up close to the headers. nothing else seems to move more than it should, its all tight..

Just a thought. Have you checked the bolts on your CV axles?

+ Reply to Thread