Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2003 Jetta GLS 2.0 Radio/Battery Problem

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bdubbz 
#1 ·
About a week ago my car died while driving it. Which instantly led me to believe "Alternator!". Finds out that it was bad. So I bought a new one. Problem solved... until It wouldn't start when i go out of work a few days later.

My radio used to shut off when I opened my door and my key was out of the ignition. This is no longer the case. I checked the connections in the harness and nothing with the radio has been changed at all. The power to the radio is from the harness and not using a fuse triggered by the ignition. This is the way it's been working since I installed it 6 months ago.

By turning off the radio when I get out of the car the problem is "hidden" but I havent let my car sit longer than a day yet. I would like to see if anyone else has had this issue and has a fix for it.

No codes are being thrown indicating anything wrong. I checked the battery connection. And I also checked to see if any dome lights or any lights are effected but they are not. The other power to the car seems to be normal. When I open the door with the key in the windows still wont work which is normal.

I have yet to check my amp ground that's in my trunk. Could a bad amp ground cause this to happen? I didn't bother to check it because my amp still pounds as hard as usual, which wouldn't happen if the ground was bad/questionable.

Another question i have is: Without a key in the ignition does this model of car shows the time and engine mileage? Because mine does and I cant remember if this is normal or not.

Thanks for your help everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
So you're saying something is no longer signaling the head unit to turn off when your doors open and with your keys out...? of course leaving the head unit, amp.. etc on draining the battery.. ?

I doubt its the ground.. I am sure you would have heard it crackle or cut out or something..

I assume your head unit and amp have a remote line hooked up? not all do but most..

my 2001, GLS 1.8T DOES show the time and engine millage while the keys are out... unless they changed something in the future years.. buts that seems unlikely.. so this seems strange to me that yours does not..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.