VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Possible Causes of Parasitic Drain on circuit S176? |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible Causes of Parasitic Drain on circuit S176?

Question Possible Causes of Parasitic Drain on circuit S176?

My Jetta GL 2.0 has a parasitic draw of 290-300 MA. I took it to a mechanic, who examined it for 2 hours and told me the parasitic draw is coming from circuit S176, fuse #4 at the battery. He said there are MANY things connected to that particular circuit. He disconnected the comfort control module and it was not causing the drain. According to him, the only way to find the draw would be to start disassembling the car and unplugging each thing, one at a time to see if the draw goes away. This could take 10-20 hours in the worst case scenario. I'm really scared by this possibility because I come from a low-income family and I can't afford to spend that much on a single repair. I don't want to go the route of trading in my Jetta for another car since I like it and the power-train seems to be fine. The only way I can get this problem fixed is a) if I can narrow it down to a few parts that are notorious for causing parasitic drains and have the mechanic check those (some luck involved) or b) someone can tell me how I can fix this myself. I obtained a copy of the Bentley Manual, but have not had the chance to read it since it's almost 2000 pages long. Can someone help me out please? I've head that VWs are notorious for electrical issues, so if any of you have prior experience with this problem and can give me some insight, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

FLOOR IT! MK4-Gonzo is on a distinguished road MK4-Gonzo's Avatar

Default Re: Possible Causes of Parasitic Drain on circuit S176?

Grab a Bentley book and look at circuit S176.

Junior Member syn3rgy is on a distinguished road syn3rgy's Avatar

Yeah I would help if I could, I just did a search in the Bentley manual, but all I could find was referring to Interior relay panel, and then a bunch of different wiring diagrams for S176, but I am new here, I just thought I'd try and be of some help.

Quote Originally Posted by MK4-Gonzo View Post
    Grab a Bentley book and look at circuit S176.
    Quote Originally Posted by syn3rgy View Post
    Yeah I would help if I could, I just did a search in the Bentley manual, but all I could find was referring to Interior relay panel, and then a bunch of different wiring diagrams for S176, but I am new here, I just thought I'd try and be of some help.
    I recently did obtain a digital copy of the Bentley manual. When I was at the mechanic, I asked him for some electrical diagrams, which he gave me. I managed to find the 2 pages he gave me in the Bentley manual. He said he didn't print out all of it because it went on for pages and pages. I'm really having a hard time finding out what goes where. I'm not gonna hide it, I'm a noob and I've never done anything with automotive electrical diagrams before and trying to understand which lines are connected to each other and which ones are simply diagram overlap is really confusing for me.

Senior Member Eurotrash is on a distinguished road Eurotrash's Avatar

try removing load reduction relay see if drain goes away if it does you need to see if relay is being commanded on or just stuck on this relay distributes s176 fuse power and ive seen them stick on before youll need to remove cover below steering wheel and youll see abunch of relays on the left. load reduction relay is the second one from the left on the lowest set of relays. to see if it fixes the drain get your volt meter set it to amps remove the negative cable from battery and put red end of volt meter to post on battery and black end of battery to battery cable so that volt meter is hooked in line this will display amount of amps being drawn. 50 milliamps is max draw allowed.

+ Reply to Thread