VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: jetta overheating problem|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: jetta overheating problem

Default jetta overheating problem

How's it going. I'm a newbie to this forum I am working on my daughters 1997 Jetta GL. My problems started when the timing belt went out. I replaced it but i guess the timing marks were'nt lined up correctly since then it overheats. and runs rough
    I took it to a so called mechanic to have it timed he charged me quite a bit.got it back and it wouldn't start. he forgot to tighten the tensioner.
    if anyone could help with correct timg marks or info i appreciate
    1997 jetta gl 2.0
    new water pump,thermostat, radiator,
    thanks matnjav
    Last edited by matnjav; 08-05-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: misspell

AllShoNoGo Gargamelmk2 is on a distinguished road Gargamelmk2's Avatar
    Summerside,Prince Edward island. C-A-N-A-D-A

Default Re: jetta overheating problem

http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/show....0-Timing-belt

If the belt snapped I'm just concerned on internal head damage such as bent valves, timing wont affect heating issues...but since you've change majority of the cooling system I'm going to guess it may be Air locked
    If Nissan motorsports is called Nismo, wouldn't Honda motorsports be called Homo?

Thanks for your reply, so how do i take care of this airlock situation?

AllShoNoGo Gargamelmk2 is on a distinguished road Gargamelmk2's Avatar
    Summerside,Prince Edward island. C-A-N-A-D-A

they are the worst vehicles to rid of an air lock
    With the rad fan unplugged make sure rad is full, run the engine with reservoir cap off and heater on max and the hot setting for a while to get rid of any airlocks in the system.(you will need to top up the bottle during this process) Once the thermostat opens and hot air blows from the vents the air should be out of the system, some jack up the fronts of the cars as well during this process..others will squeeze hoses, buy bleeding kits..ect
    I just let the car run keeping an eye on the temperature..
    If Nissan motorsports is called Nismo, wouldn't Honda motorsports be called Homo?

Junior Member The engineer is on a distinguished road The engineer's Avatar

Please do the following immediately. There is a little coolant hose going from the drivers side of the head to the top of the coolant bottle. Take this hose off the coolant bottle while the engine is off. Point the hose into a bucket or something to catch any coolant that comes out of the hose. Now start the engine. Coolant should come out of this hose. This is part of the coolant return. If you do not have coolant coming out of this hose, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM! Either the hose is blocked, or more likely the hole in the head is blocked with calcium, iron, and other crap if the cooling system was neglected in any way. My jetta just had to have a new head gasket installed because the previous owner had rusty water in the system instead of antifreeze, this port got clogged and overheated the car.
    If you have no coolant coming out of this hose, youll have to take the hose off of the head, take a 3/16" drill bit, and drill into this port in the head. Ensure the hose is not blocked as well. Once you drill thru the blockage, put the hose back on the head, aim it back into your bucket, and start your engine again. Mine took 5 minutes before coolant actually started coming out of it, and big chucks of crap were spewing out of the hose. Once the junk stops coming out, you should be good. Hook it back to the coolant bottle, and you should be good to go. This is the main way that air in the cooling system is purged into the coolant bottle, and if its blocked like mine was, it'll take FOREVER to get all the air out of your system.

Thanks for all your info I just got home from work I will give it a try my daughter starts school next week I drive 100 miles each way to work she needs her car

Thanks for all your help. overheating problem was actually timing problem. took care of it myself dumbass certified mechanics could'nt figure out timing marks on 2.0 now no more check engine or overheating

+ Reply to Thread