Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Spark Plugs?????

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  htwo 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 GLI and I am looking to start upgrading. I am looking to do some little things like spark plugs first. I was thinking about using the e3 spark plugs as they seem to promise some decent hp gains and fuel efficiency gains. Has anyone used these? Or does anyone suggest another particular plug?

Also, I am open to some ideas on other mods for my car. Thanks

#2 ·
If you're not running synthetic fluids all around (transmission included) it'd be a wise investment. A lot of folks don't realize that changing the transmission fluid early in manual cars can greatly extend the life of the transmission. Even more so if you replace the OEM fluid with a good synthetic. Changing it early removes any crap from the manufacturing process, same goes for rear differentials although that doesn't apply in your case. Automatics have filters and the like and are fine to let alone until the recommended change interval.

In terms of plugs, I'd wait until the OEM plugs are ready to be changed before looking to upgrade. Some plugs may offer more power, but keep in mind some plugs that give off a super heated spark could potentially cause piston damage on aluminum pistons. Steel pistons aren't much of a worry but it's something to consider. NGK has proven me well in all my vehicles, even small engines, for reliability and performance while keeping overall operating costs low. I'd stick with something similar to OEM design for plugs. Some plugs/styles might run hot/cooler depending on the heat range and it may cost you to buy plugs that the engine doesn't run well on. As an example, older Dodge V8's love a slightly colder plug to reduce engine knock, as most of those engines had no knock sensors. Dodge didn't ship their engines out of the factory with those plugs. I'm not against E3's as I have used them, but they only gave me 30K miles before the first one died. Hopefully someone with a similar engine can give you better spark plug info...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.