VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: 1.8 Turbo Timing Belt Replacement |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.8 Turbo Timing Belt Replacement

Default 1.8 Turbo Timing Belt Replacement

How hard is it to change the timing belt on an 04 jetta 1.8 turbo

Not too bad if youre just changing the belt but a little harder if you plan on doing the pump. The engine needs to he jacked up. The only reason most people shy away from this job is because if it isnt timed right youll bust your head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: 1.8 Turbo Timing Belt Replacement

from what ive seen and heard its alot easier to pull the engine or have the car on a lift and drop the engine i know its tough just getting the cover off ti inspect it. but you want to replace the pump. especially if its oem, cuz it has a plastic impellar thats known for breaking. switch it out with one with a metal impellar

not your typical air ride DasBohan is on a distinguished road DasBohan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tdbaker156 View Post
    from what ive seen and heard its alot easier to pull the engine or have the car on a lift and drop the engine i know its tough just getting the cover off ti inspect it. but you want to replace the pump. especially if its oem, cuz it has a plastic impellar thats known for breaking. switch it out with one with a metal impellar
    sry but this is very wrong on the 1.8t. Its very easy and the hassle of removing the engine far outweighs the squeeze. Plenty of room with the inline 4. ECS makes great full replacement kits that include the waterpump, thermo, and water pump gasket. A lot of stuff to remove but its not an incredibly hard job for the amount of money you save. And there are great DIYs all over the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
    All girlfriends are legal. Its just what you do with them that may be questionable lol
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonDweller View Post
    he just wants all your scene points Ryan, careful.

Keep'em Hammered onavianva is on a distinguished road onavianva's Avatar

dasbohan is totally correct. it is not easier to removed the engine just to remove the timing belt. if that makes sense. think about it. i can assist you in pictures on how to support the engine. barney style. i just swapped my engine mounts and has to support my engine. i actually lifted the car up a little accidently from the oil pan! (oops)

but yeah the hardest part is starting. imo. judging from the number of your posts (9) you are not ready for a timing belt replacement. but hey. you might know more than me. let me know if you need help

+ Reply to Thread