VW Jetta MKV: 2009 jetta light problem!!!! WHOLE RIGHT SIDE OF CAR DOESNT LIGHT HELP HELP HELP HELP |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2009 jetta light problem!!!! WHOLE RIGHT SIDE OF CAR DOESNT LIGHT HELP HELP HELP HELP

Default 2009 jetta light problem!!!! WHOLE RIGHT SIDE OF CAR DOESNT LIGHT HELP HELP HELP HELP

like title says i turn my car on and only the driver side lights work. what doesnt work
    passenger turn signal front and rear
    passenger low high beam
    passenger reverse light
    passenger parking light

what could cause this?!?!?!
    are there fuses or relays? i know its not the bulbs because i changed them and still nothing

i did however hook up a aux to where my sat radio was to play my ipod. could that cause the short?

PLEASE HELPPPPP

Default Re: 2009 jetta light problem!!!! WHOLE RIGHT SIDE OF CAR DOESNT LIGHT HELP HELP HELP

I am having the exact some problem. Jettakyle, did you ever find out what was the cause of the issue and what did you do about it? Or if anyone else has any insight on the problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Senior Member Jetta Jim is on a distinguished road Jetta Jim's Avatar

Default Re: 2009 jetta light problem!!!! WHOLE RIGHT SIDE OF CAR DOESNT LIGHT HELP HELP HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Mvaughan424 View Post
    I am having the exact some problem. Jettakyle, did you ever find out what was the cause of the issue and what did you do about it? Or if anyone else has any insight on the problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Check your fuse panel for evidence of overheating. There's quite a few people that have had meltdowns.

Junior Member GBA 88WEST LA is on a distinguished road GBA 88WEST LA's Avatar

i think theres a class action suit on the wiring harness's seems to be happening to a few diff models in the lineup
    2008 GLI, 1988 WESTFALIA Subaru 2.5 / AA TRANS

Thanks for the reply guys. I checked the fuses and they seemed fine. The day I brought my car to the VW service everything worked perfectly again. The lights were on and in working order again and I did nothing to the car but let it sit overnight. The service team also could not find any issues and told me to bring it in next time things get all funky with the lights so they can have an easier time pinpointing the problem. So far no more issues though and its been about 10 days.

Did they tell you what the problem was? It seemed like someone did something that they would work as soon as you took it out of service.
    2008 Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg. Reflex Silver, AT, 2.0T.

I had the exact same problem. I checked the fuse box under the hood. I forgot which fuse it was I believe D12 or something and it was melted. Replaced the fuse and everything was good to go. Bad thing is I did not realize this so I bought new bulbs. At first it would just be a headlight. Then a blinker. Sometimes all my lights would work on the way to school, but on the way home my whole passenger side would not work. Took it to a VW mechanic and they tried charging me all kinds of stuff just to inspect it.

To clarify my last post my car started working properly before I took it into the shop and therefore they were unable to figure out what the problem was.

Last week the light problem returned and it did not go away as it usually did so I took it into the shop again. This time at a different location. The problem turned out to be much more than I expected. Portions of my fuse box within the car were melting and the entire unit needed to be replaced and it cost me roughly 500 dollars. There is a 30 amp fuse located on the backside of the fusebox located within the cabin (weird location for a fuse) and it was completely melted as a result, plastic and all.

There were also some other parts of the fusebox that were loose and wiggling because whatever was holding them in place also melted. I think it was the contacts that relay power to specific locations of the vehicle.

This occurred by chance and I was told it was not my fault despite having custom ambient lighting and aftermarket 7" head unit. Unfortunately, there is no manufacturer recall or reimbursement program going in place. The mechanic told me it seems to be a common occurrence with the Jettas so I will be keeping my eye out for reimbursements which I guess take a while. My mother is just getting reimbursed this year for a repair she made on her long gone 2003 Honda Accord back in 2005. Hopefully we won't have to wait 8 years! a

+ Reply to Thread