Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

2009 jetta light problem!!!! WHOLE RIGHT SIDE OF CAR DOESNT LIGHT HELP HELP HELP HELP

43K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Bennett78 
#1 ·
like title says i turn my car on and only the driver side lights work. what doesnt work
passenger turn signal front and rear
passenger low high beam
passenger reverse light
passenger parking light

what could cause this?!?!?!
are there fuses or relays? i know its not the bulbs because i changed them and still nothing

i did however hook up a aux to where my sat radio was to play my ipod. could that cause the short?

PLEASE HELPPPPP

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I checked the fuses and they seemed fine. The day I brought my car to the VW service everything worked perfectly again. The lights were on and in working order again and I did nothing to the car but let it sit overnight. The service team also could not find any issues and told me to bring it in next time things get all funky with the lights so they can have an easier time pinpointing the problem. So far no more issues though and its been about 10 days.

#7 ·
I had the exact same problem. I checked the fuse box under the hood. I forgot which fuse it was I believe D12 or something and it was melted. Replaced the fuse and everything was good to go. Bad thing is I did not realize this so I bought new bulbs. At first it would just be a headlight. Then a blinker. Sometimes all my lights would work on the way to school, but on the way home my whole passenger side would not work. Took it to a VW mechanic and they tried charging me all kinds of stuff just to inspect it.

#8 ·
To clarify my last post my car started working properly before I took it into the shop and therefore they were unable to figure out what the problem was.

Last week the light problem returned and it did not go away as it usually did so I took it into the shop again. This time at a different location. The problem turned out to be much more than I expected. Portions of my fuse box within the car were melting and the entire unit needed to be replaced and it cost me roughly 500 dollars. There is a 30 amp fuse located on the backside of the fusebox located within the cabin (weird location for a fuse) and it was completely melted as a result, plastic and all.

There were also some other parts of the fusebox that were loose and wiggling because whatever was holding them in place also melted. I think it was the contacts that relay power to specific locations of the vehicle.

This occurred by chance and I was told it was not my fault despite having custom ambient lighting and aftermarket 7" head unit. Unfortunately, there is no manufacturer recall or reimbursement program going in place. The mechanic told me it seems to be a common occurrence with the Jettas so I will be keeping my eye out for reimbursements which I guess take a while. My mother is just getting reimbursed this year for a repair she made on her long gone 2003 Honda Accord back in 2005. Hopefully we won't have to wait 8 years! a

#10 ·
You just wasted 600 dollars. I'm sorry to tell you. In the fuse box located inside of your engine bay. There is one fuse that controls the right side lights. It can come loose and therefore cut out your lights. I can't recall what fuse it is but if you turn your car on and turn the headlights on. Start to jiggle the fuses around eventually you see which one it is. I think it is a 30a fuse but I can't totally remember.

#11 ·
jettakyle - Thank you. I have a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen, the passenger outside lights were not working, front and rear, as well as the drivers side brake & blinker. The rear center brake light was not working either. I wiggled the 30A fuse in the engine bay fuse box and all lights are working now.

#13 · (Edited)
This is old topic but I found it helpful and wanted to add some info.
First I have a 2011 Jetta sport wagen. Inline 5 automatic. It seemed like both my head lights were off and so was the DRL on the passenger side of the car The side marker was on. The blinker did not work. On the driverside the marker light was out

Long story short. I went to the fuse panel under the Hood and replaced a 30A fuse for the J519 electrical power supply control unit fuse.
SB16 or F16 according to the PDF 30A

Bingo everything works.
More info may be of use and see attached pdfs for fuse panel info inside the car and under the hood

Thanks for the help

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.