VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: Safe to drive with broken dipstick tube? |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safe to drive with broken dipstick tube?

Default Safe to drive with broken dipstick tube?

My oil dipstick tube broke today (common problem I guess). I ordered a new one and it will come in a few days. My question is it safe to drive without a dipstick tube in place? It's a 02 Jetta 1.8t.

Pic's below...

Edit : also anyone have an idea how to get that last inch or so of the plastic off?

Default Re: Safe to drive with broken dipstick tube?

I would advise against it being so close to the block. oil will come out and make a nasty mess let alone possible damage to the engine.
    I like to touch cars.

Weekend Dubber Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Get some needle nose pliers and try to grab it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 View Post
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

Senior Member KiDGiB is on a distinguished road KiDGiB's Avatar

If there was a way to plug the hole, then i would say it would be fine. Since there is no way of really plugging that hole and like the post above, have oil all over, plus getting debris and crap inside the oil is not a good idea.

I believe there is a clip holding the bottom half of the dipstick. Once that is removed, just keep wiggling and twisting to remove the rest of the tube.

Here's another picture zoomed in, I also read that broken dipstick tubes could effect boost leaks, judging by the soot around the dipstick there might have been a crack for a long time ( I've had a boost leak for a few years now) anyone think this could be true?

You can follow this to gain better access to the tube

http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/show...ke-Booster-Mod
    I like to touch cars.

Senior Member Eurotrash is on a distinguished road Eurotrash's Avatar

^^Follow this thread and you'll have an afternoon into 5min job. Use a coat hanger bend the end so you can push it past the plastic portion then pull like hell. It will pop off. I have a hook that works perfectly but for a DIY it should work. BTW there is no clip to remove so to speak its kinda a expansion clip as you press the new one on-the plastic expands over a lip then locks behind it (pull like hell) portion of the removel

+ Reply to Thread