Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Safe to drive with broken dipstick tube?

15K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Eurotrash 
#1 ·
My oil dipstick tube broke today (common problem I guess). I ordered a new one and it will come in a few days. My question is it safe to drive without a dipstick tube in place? It's a 02 Jetta 1.8t.

Pic's below...

Edit : also anyone have an idea how to get that last inch or so of the plastic off?

See less See more
#4 ·
If there was a way to plug the hole, then i would say it would be fine. Since there is no way of really plugging that hole and like the post above, have oil all over, plus getting debris and crap inside the oil is not a good idea.

I believe there is a clip holding the bottom half of the dipstick. Once that is removed, just keep wiggling and twisting to remove the rest of the tube.

#5 ·
Here's another picture zoomed in, I also read that broken dipstick tubes could effect boost leaks, judging by the soot around the dipstick there might have been a crack for a long time ( I've had a boost leak for a few years now) anyone think this could be true?

#7 ·
^^Follow this thread and you'll have an afternoon into 5min job. Use a coat hanger bend the end so you can push it past the plastic portion then pull like hell. It will pop off. I have a hook that works perfectly but for a DIY it should work. BTW there is no clip to remove so to speak its kinda a expansion clip as you press the new one on-the plastic expands over a lip then locks behind it (pull like hell) portion of the removel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.