VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: 98 jetta having starting problems|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 98 jetta having starting problems

Default 98 jetta having starting problems

i have a 1999 Mk3 jetta (and yes its a mk3 not 4) 2.0 aba 5spd (manual). well ive been having starting problems with it for awhile and havnt been able to figure it out.i use to just mess round with it when it first started messing up and it would start.. then some days it wouldnt start and some days it would.

well it hasnt started in awhile untill just the other day well now when it starts it idles really rough and i have to have the headlights brights and the ac on for the idle to smooth it self out ...but when u go to give it gas it just bog out and starts running really rough the rpms wont go no higher than bout 2200 to 2400 rpms before the rpms jump back done and wont go but to maybe 1800 rpm then after bout 10 minutes it starts to gradually smooth it self out.. then im able to raise the rpms but thats after about 20 or 30 minutes but sometimes when im driving itll start runnin rough and rpms do the same thing but this time it wont go over 4000rpm and then itll die.. it kinda acts like its trying to make up for a lack of voltage but i checked the alternater and it seemd fine instead of running at 14v and was at 13.5v..

Please if anyone can help i would very much appreciate ive had this car for 11years and i love i really wanna get it running again thank you all for all ur help ... it i have another thread under wont start cuz at the time when i couldnt get it to startnow that i can i got a new thread

ALL NEW PARTS
    COIL PACK AND WIRING HARNESS
    ECU AND WIRING HARNESS
    DISTRIBUTOR...ROTOR...AND CAP
    STARTER
    SPARKPLUG AND WIRES

Junior Member DasAutoVDuB is on a distinguished road DasAutoVDuB's Avatar

Default Re: 98 jetta having starting problems

needs a fuel pump and filter

Junior Member DasAutoVDuB is on a distinguished road DasAutoVDuB's Avatar

or crank position sensor

Member Darren is on a distinguished road Darren's Avatar
    you have no idea what she is talking about we have no movies out here in the great white north

Try ur (MAF) Mass Flow Sensor unplug it while it is running if it smooths out then it is that or it will b an o2 sensor before the cat. Ether way it will b and 100.00 dollar fix

thanks for the advice yall ...sorry meant to put in the first thread that its got good fuel and oil pressure good compression fuel pump works fuel filters brand new crank sensor is also new...was thinking maybe the o2 sensors and cat is bad but idk. when u first turn the car on u have to have headlights foglights ac and defrost on so itll idle smooth but when u give it gas it just boggs out for bout 20 minutes then it starts running fine

ALL NEW PARTS
    COIL PACK AND WIRING HARNESS
    ECU AND WIRING HARNESS
    DISTRIBUTOR...ROTOR...AND CAP
    STARTER
    SPARKPLUG AND WIRES
    CRANK SENSOR
    FUEL FILTER
    FUEL PUMP IS STILL GOOD

Senior Member Green '95 is on a distinguished road Green '95's Avatar

Intake air temp sensor could be bad causing it to flood itself out until the motor gets some heat in it. Not sure if VW uses a cam position sensor or not but that could also cause it. Slipped timing belt?

ite thanks man ill deffiently check that out again last time i check the MAF was good and the cam sensor has been replaced its calld the crank sensor

+ Reply to Thread