Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Returning to idle problem

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lemansman 
#1 ·
So I've got a 1990 Wolfsburg Jetta with the common 1.8L and when the engine idles down (pushing in clutch coming to a stop or just revving engine and letting it return to idle) RPMs drop to about 500 and the car acts like it will stall then the RPMs quickly pick back up to normal (around 1000). With the tired battery it came with it actually did stall (on the freeway!) but with a new battery it manages to stay alive.

I haven't had this car long but it has always done this for the 6 months I've owned it. Like all good Volkswagens it has many miles on it (the car stopped counting at 145,000 miles years ago). I've suspected a vacuum leak and replaced obviously cracked hoses. I know the coolant sensor to the gauge isn't working, whether that matters? Other sensors at fault?

I'm stuck, thanks for any help. :)

#3 ·
Could also worse case senario be your ECU...I'd lean more towards suspecting the idle air control valve (IAC) of malfunctioning. The IAC controls the air that goes into the cylinders. When you push the pedal, you are not doing anything to actually put more fuel in, rather, you open the air valve letting more air through. The IAC does this automatically for idle purposes...to keep the engine from stalling.
clean out your IAC, it could be dirty..remove it and clean it with either throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner.

#5 ·
Also have your Alternator checked just for good measures, it may have a stuck brush..I put a used Alternator on my jetta about 4 months ago ($50) Also a brand new battery.In the past month it has been acting up very simillar to what you say..After sitting on the side of the road the other night for 3 hours waiting for my buddy with his trailor I decided to have it checked...It was "fubar"(sticky brush),paid $50 for a messed up one no better than my last, even better... a brand new Bosch Alternator was only $119

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.