VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: 98 jetta 2.0 will not start, HELP!!|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 98 jetta 2.0 will not start, HELP!!

Default 98 jetta 2.0 will not start, HELP!!

1998 jetta im working on my friends car, it has power when you turn the key. but it will not turn over. i thought it would of been the clutch switch, then i put my obd2 comp on and it told me it was the 02 circut, no activity dectected ( bank one, sensor 1) P0134, but when you pop it she starts right up so im guessing it is one of the relays but i dont have a digram for them....all of them have numbers on, if any one can help get back at me please, thanks

Semi Newb Jetta Owner Eliam Sylin is on a distinguished road Eliam Sylin's Avatar

start with the easy stuff..

If it pop starts and runs fine after that I would take a close look at the starter and back track from there.

~E
    1997 Jetta GLS 2.0L 5 Speed
    Smoked Taillights (finally) - Silver gauge cluster w/ custom blue filters - Neuspeed Race Springs w/ KYB Struts - Pacesetter Shorty Header - BFI Delrin Engine mounts (on their way) - Techtonics Tunning 266 Cam and Chip (on their way)

Junior Member VRoooom98 is on a distinguished road VRoooom98's Avatar

Does the starter turn? Do you hear clicks when you turn the key? I would start with starter then plugs...

Default Re: 98 jetta 2.0 will not start, HELP!!

I have some what of the same problem. I turn the key and nothing. Everything lights up but the engine will not crank. I go under the dash and depress the clutch safety switch a few times, real quick and hard, turn the key it starts.
    Is the switch bad?
    Andy

Default Re: 98 jetta 2.0 will not start, HELP!!

Mine did the same thing the other day, one of the clips on the back of the starter solenoid broke and came disconnected.

+ Reply to Thread