Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Noob question about stereo upgrade

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sonicp9 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new to JJ and new to being a valid driver again. I just purchased a 2014 Jetta SE w the 1.8T. i'm a little bummed that it didn't come standard w Bluetooth audio and all the fun stuff that is standard in many cars now.

That being said I want to upgrade the stereo to have the following features: Bluetooth audio, handsfree for phone calls (ideally phonebook download option), front USB port (sadly missing from my new ride)[/B]

Additional features could include: touch screen, navigation, DVD video.

Basically I just don't know enough to know what to purchase, what will fit (Dual DIN?) and what unit will have what I need. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I've scoured a few sites that claim to be able to have a "wizard" that will tell you what components will fit, but they don't seem to work right. Sorry for such a noob question but I simply don't know.

#2 ·
Hi there, I was bummed too. I also have a '14 SE. I'm currently in the process of upgrading to an RNS315 radio that will give me NAV and BT along with satellite radio (which I already have). I'll be detailing the steps on here. The RNS315 isn't cheap, but I like that its OEM. There are many aftermarket units that will do what you are asking for for less.

#3 ·
Yeah I saw your thread earlier. I wish everything looked as good as an oem unit, but the cost is too steep.

After looking at that unit, I'm assuming it's a double Din. I've priced out a couple around <$300 that have touchscreen, DVD, Bluetooth and iPhone control as well as USB ports for charging. Probably going to go that route and find someone to install.

#4 ·
disappointment number 1 should lie in the fact that its not the 2.0 TSI but back to a 1.8T, no idea what VW is doing right now regressing back 2 generations and dropping the straight 5 instead of turboing it. for shame.

As far as your radio issues, aftermarket providers make bluetooth adapters, but you should look into the double dins that come stock in the SEL, GTIs, and GLIs that have BT and see if the adapter is inbedded in the system or its an additional unit. If its imbedded a simple replacement may prove difficult seeing that its controlled from the dash HUD and overhead. thats a lot of changes. If its a simple add on unit such as one of the below links, you should be able to replace your single or double din with a OEM radio w/ BT, nav, or aftermaket BT capable, whatever you fancy, with an aftermarket port (like below). Your OEM will not have a 9pin.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JJU6YzPVYHr/m_303950/Bluetooth-Car-Kits-Adapters.html

#6 ·
crutchfield rocks

exactly what i was talking about. and aftermarket setup has everything you need imbedded and will prove far easier than trying to force the OEM equipment to work.

#9 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the help. Stepping into the world of modifying cars (even in the simplest of ways) can be daunting. I'm going to buy the parts and hopefully find someone to do the install on the cheap- I'd wind up scratching up all the components as I disassemble it. Also I saw somewhere in my area there is a shop that removes the headset and puts a full iPad in its place. I guess the concept is built in entertainment, navigation and all that jazz as long as you have an internet connection, was looking into that as well, but I like the idea of something all in one unit, and not sure I need the cost, and full features of a full iPad while driving.

#11 ·
Crutchfield is great, but they're also very expensive. You might want to consider using Crutchfield for research purposes and then buying the equipment elsewhere. That is what I usually do, and so far I've came up with some pretty good deals.

I do a lot of buying on Amazon, but I've also bought a lot from Online Car Stereo (do a google search, they're easy to find) over the years. I've saved a lot on some, not so much on others. There are also many other online retailers that will save you some cash, you just need to be willing to look for 'em.

Good luck

Exco

#12 ·
I have recently upgraded my sound system and deck in the car. I drive a 2012 Jetta trendline+ (I guess S?) 2.0l gas 5 speed. Taking the front bezzle off surrounding the deck is not too hard, you can pop it off by sliding in a credit card and using it as leverage (just don't unplug the air-bag plug at the bottom). Then you need 4 torx screws to take out the stock deck. I replaced mine with a Kenwood DDX371 (approx. 300 bucks, has BT, DVD, Aux, USB but not at the front). To install the deck, get a Metra wiring harness, Metra front plate, and a Metra antenna cable (unless you do not want AM/FM radio) off ebay. Ebay is cheapest and should run you around 60 bucks (depending where you live). In my area (Toronto, Canada) many shops and stores overpriced these parts like crazy, so my suggestion would be to get online. The wiring harness plugs into the existing plug that you removed from the stock deck. Then enjoy wrapping the wires from the new aftermarket deck to the loose wires on the metra harness. For your power cable... you can either get an expensive adapter (I didn't do this), or run an accessory cable to your fuse box and connect it to a remote fuse (one which powers on with ignition). Alternatively, and what I did, is splice into one of the red cables that is present from the original radio plug. Just make sure it receives a constant 12 v with a multimeter. By doing it this way, you have to manually power your radio on and off everytime. However, the advantage is you do not need a key in the ignition to turn it on. To add, if you want to bypass the DVD safety thing (it won't let you watch movies unless your "parking break is on"), just connect the blue parking cable from the deck to ground. Easier than actually finding the real parking wire god knows where in the car.

For the USB and Aux cables, I removed that center storage tray thingy that sits just below the temp controls (where your cig holder and aux port is). To remove it, pop up your shifter panel (again I used a card) and then that will reveal the center tray being held by 2 torx screws. Remove those and you can remove the tray after unplugging the 12v outlet cable and AUX cable connector. I decided to get creative and made custom ports for the USB and Aux connectors. You can buy USB and AUX extension cables (male to female cables) for pretty cheap. I measured then drilled holes in those little square pieces (which are removable) to fit USB and Aux female headers. The male ends were then connected to the back of the deck (there is a hole there at the back which goes from the top of the deck to the bottom of the tray). Now put the tray back in same way you got it out. You can now tuck the mess of cables in behind the deck, screw the faceplate onto the deck, and re-insert it in the hole (and line-up the faceplate to the torx screw holes). Re-screw the deck in and snap the bezzle back on. You should be now all done.

As a side note, the old AUX connector is useless now. I personally took it out of the tray and replaced it with a switch that controls the parking cable to ground connection. It is kinda useless, but effective if for whatever reason you want to disable DVD. You could alternatively just leave the old aux socket, and know that it is not connected to anything.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I made no sense or if you have suggestions to my method. I could post pics for you guys if you would want. Let me know if you want pics and what you want to see. I also did install a sub and amp so let me know if you want info about that as well.

-p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.